My First Datsun Resto - 1972 521

4perrev

Hello All,

New to the forum, but have read so much good info from you guys on the builds. This is what made me go out a buy a truck (even though my wife calls it the bucket of rust)! She just can't see the beauty in the final product. I plan to do a frame off resto and eventually swap engines, but for now, it's just back to original and of course - new paint. Here are a few pictures of where the start is. Bought for $750.00.

cZ27E0g.jpg

AW0oORk.jpg

mSk55SR.jpg

rasR9Bh.jpg

BDMcPzU.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This truck was owned by a guy in California for 21 years. The guy I bought it from took the tranny out, had the flywhell surfaced, put a new clutch in it ans a new throw out bearing. He did not reinstall the tranny because he sold it. He never titled it either. So, technically, I am the second owner! There are a couple of minor dents in the passangers front fender and rear quarter panel. Nothing major - body wise. The only cancer is in the passanger floor board. Still can't believe it after all those years. The tail gate is perfect and so is the top dash, with no cracks. He said it ran fine before pulling the tranny, so I guess it runs?!

I have pulled the front headlight cradles, bezels, metal dash and windshield wiper arms out. Primered and painted so far. (Will post pictures of those once they dry with the clear coat). Here is the only picture I have of the outside, since it was dark when I picked her up. Thanks for the welcomes!!

Trucks_zps68e9e3b0.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure who really wants the speakers (if your serious), but they will go to whoever wants them. Maybe one each?! Thanks, I'm working a concept drawing right now and will post once it's done.

• Like 1

If he doesn't contact you back about the speakers I will purchase them on the first. Since he asked first I don't want to step on his toes.

As far as shipping, it would probably be best to pick a flat rate box they will fit in and ship them that way.

• Like 1

Kirden, sounds good. I'll see if he PM's me or writes on the post here. If not, then, man there yours. Don't have a drivers side door handle do ya? Mine has a broken inner nub, so I can't open the door from the outside.

• Like 1

Sadly I dont have access to many parts for Datsuns where I live. I'm sure you could find that in WA though. A lot of members are in WA/OR and they seem to find parts all the time.

Also, I would suggest posting in the parts wanted thread. Usually people get back quick with the parts you need.

• Like 1
Hell yes I want to get rid of that and the other speaker! This is why I pulled them out. You want em?? Give them up real cheap, just name your shipping options.

i want the speakers. i have some spare door parts. which part do you need? outer door handle? inner? if you post up a pic i can prolly get it for you. ill pm you my addy and we can work something out if you need that handle too

• Like 1

Haha, I'm no artist by far. I just have ideas in my head that I want to get a hard copy of so I can make changes and have the full concept down before purchasing parts. I'll PM my ideas and you can see if you want to take on the project :P

• Like 1
Haha, I'm no artist by far. I just have ideas in my head that I want to get a hard copy of so I can make changes and have the full concept down before purchasing parts. I'll PM my ideas and you can see if you want to take on the project :P

So what you need is a coloring book type drawing? That way you could print it (multiple) and color or change it to what you want!!

• Like 1

Haha, I was actually looking for some of these of a standard cab 620 last night :P

That way I could draw out the modifications I want and try some color combos, then scan it back to the computer and use photoshop to try different color rims. Once I have everything down on paper, get someone to do a full concept rendering so I have something to keep me motivated.

• Like 1
Haha, I was actually looking for some of these of a standard cab 620 last night :P

That way I could draw out the modifications I want and try some color combos, then scan it back to the computer and use photoshop to try different color rims. Once I have everything down on paper, get someone to do a full concept rendering so I have something to keep me motivated.

I'll try and work on a template for ya!

• Like 1

So, I thought I'd get out before the rain started today and do some work. Got a couple things done. The headlight bezels are done and back together. Then I though I would tackle the disgusting heater top with all the crazy flaps and what nots. You can see by the pictures how bad it was. Couldn't pull the hing pins out, so I did the best I could. Sprayed black with a matte clear coat.

HeadLightBezels_zps014fd7e8.jpg

HeadLights_zps6ec53980.jpg

HeaterFront_zps1ea82a8e.jpg

HeaterTopBefore2_zpsfb2c85e5.jpg

HeaterTopBefore1_zps43edbe5b.jpg

HeaterTopAfter1_zpsf132933b.jpg

HeaterTopAfter2_zps895fe8e8.jpg

Not too bad for a first resto start. Just hope the rest goes as easy as this!?!

• Like 1