Weber carb air cleaner.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the stock air cleaner.  The base plate, air filter element, and top plate are there.  The filter element, and top plate were in the cab, on the floor. in front of the passenger side of the seat.

So. where can I get these clips?  Redline?

bungee20ASSMBLIES_zpsbbe39d93.jpg :rofl:

But seriously the stupid clips break so easily, get extras.

• Like 1

One of the problems I have noticed over the years is that the base/top plate and clips have changed from Redline.

Clips are of a different design, indents on plates...etc.

Older clips don't attach properly on the newer stock....newer clips on the older stock....same shit.

I've stopped several times while driving down the road....hearing that ping as you realize you just lost some 'carb part'....lol

• Like 1
One of the problems I have noticed over the years is that the base/top plate and clips have changed from Redline.

Clips are of a different design, indents on plates...etc.

Older clips don't attach properly on the newer stock....newer clips on the older stock....same shit.

I've stopped several times while driving down the road....hearing that ping as you realize you just lost some 'carb part'....lol

Not to mention there are also at least two different heights available for the filters and therefore the clips themselves.

Yeah, that ping is pretty damn familiar :sneaky:. I've seriously considered modifying the air-filter design to use two small studs that go up from the bottom plate to hold the top plate on with a nut and stop using the clips completely.

• Like 1
Yes....after Mike posted that mod...I followed suit

Kudos to Klotz

Thanks. Very clean work! Great job!! :)

Mklotz,

It's OK,  I like the idea of modding the base of a stock air cleaner.

I know you can weld sheet metal, so it wouldn't be too hard for you to do at all.  I did one with the side of a computer case.....too thin.  I used 14ga on another.....much better!

• Like 1

My car had 6 clips installed when I got it. Over the years, I lost 2 of them. Then one day I decided it was too hard to get the clips off, so I reduced the number down to 3.

My clips never broke, and were very difficult to put on or remove, often requiring a screwdriver

• Like 1

Some of mine have only 2 clips.  I've never had any come off while driving, but I did have one fly off when I was removing it, never to be seen again.  Now I remember to cup a hand over the clip when prying it off.  The reason I have so few clips is for some reason I managed to get a bunch of Weber filter kits with no clips.  Packaging error from the distributor.  They kindly sent me replacement... filter kits.  They told me to keep the incomplete ones too, so as I added Webers to other cars, I used the clipless kits, and just robbed a clip off the others.

I can't remember where I bought the screwed up kits, but I got 2 top plates (and no bottom plate) in one kit too.  Their packaging QC left a lot to be desired, though they always made it right.

• Like 1
 I've never had any come off while driving, but I did have one fly off when I was removing it, never to be seen again. 

I call those Jesus clips, cause thats what I yell as they go sailing off. Hey Daniel, How many do you want? Without even trying I found 8, and I have'nt used one of those filters in at least 15 yrs. I'm such a fuckin packrat. I still have a PM with your addy, and they are free to my main seal installer buyers. Let me know. 

• Like 1

Is it possible to get something else that fits a Weber carb? Besides the clips being flimsy, I just hate the little things that come with them and how they look. I would love to do a 8 or 10" round chrome air filter instead. Don't really want to modify the stock housing either, don't like the look of it too much either.

• Like 1