3 years later....I bought the '62 312 Bluebird Wagon...

Tha is not bad at all. I saw the CL add a few times. Even think I put it up in the east coast classifieds a few weeks back. However I thought it was in better shape honestly.

Do you plan on doing anything mod wise to it? With the shape the body is in I would be keen to leaving it like it is and enjoying it for as long as the engine lasts.

Body work is such a double edged sword because you never know what you will find. On the one hand it will look great and you can put your own touch on it, on the other it can be a money pit if you find out the body is 40% filler. Keep the updates coming, I look forward to seeing you at a local show in it :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No mods, I'll have enough trouble finding stock brake parts.Its got a pretty non-stock interior, which would be a lot better stock.... Its not in bad shape, but the chrome and some of the rubber really went down hill since the bring a trailer pics.

On no, I meant running condition. I didn't really read the add but I guess I assumed that with the way it looked it must run as well :P

The car looks great to me, but then again the previous owner of my 620 painted it with house paint and rollers and didn't sand it, so most Datsuns look great compared to mine.

Wow that's nice!!

You should try and get a hold of JDM Legends and see if they can source you the parts for it. I'll see what i can find in the way of brake parts at work tomorrow. I have some awesome resources. 

Awesome, lemme know. Maybe they'll at least know of some stuff that's close enough...

Making progress, got it running (fuel lines), got the back brakes done (new wheel cylinders), new clutch master cylinder on, new upper rad hose.  Front brakes are going to be a pain apparently...I can't find the right wheel cylinders...flushed the coolant with water, then water with dishwasher detergent.  Lots of rust in it, but I doubt it'll ever come out.  The purpose of the dish detergent was to get any oil or old coolant out.  If the rust seems bad after I flush it again, I'll do another flush with water and naval jelly, citric acid or some other rust remover......

To get it on the road, I'm going to have to:

Find wheel cylinders and brake hoses for the front, bleed all 4 corners

Flush the coolant a few more times, then install the thermostat, new coolant and rad cap

Modify the clutch slave cylinder bolt spacing and install

Fix the throttle cable and install some kind of choke control

Figure out how to keep the fan from just barely taping the rad and making a god awful noise

Sort out E-brake

Then it'll need new front tires before anything more than a trip around the yard

Tag and insurance

Clean it up

Eventually...LHS headlight, blinkers

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...exactly a month later, time for an update.  Finding new front wheel cylinders was a complete bust.  Ended up being able to rebuild the original ones using a 1998 200SX rear wheel cylinder rebuild kit.  Brake hoses off of a 65 MG-B did the trick out front (barely long enough, but should be fine).  Flushed the cooling system out a few times, currently has a de-rusting solution in it, which I'll leave till the first real drive when I'll flush and fill with 50/50 opossum poison and water.  Should be able to drive it around the yard as soon as I go get some gas in my gas can....

Cleaned up pretty well, needs a bit of a polish, but doesn't look bad at all. Took her on her maiden voyage, did pretty well, need to adjust the clutch for a bit more travel and get used to a lack of power brakes.  Definitely could be a fun little "in-town" car.  Runs great, exhaust sounds maybe a bit too "British sportscar" for a wagon, but not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...