J-bike for the win

So I picked up and 81 Suzuki gs550 to ride this summer while I paint my 620. Picked it up for dirt cheap cause the guy needed money and it didn't start. Hardest part so far was getting it out of the truck cause my plan failed. I cleaned it up and charges the battery. Got the battery back in and cranked for awhile trying to start it. No luck... I think I flooded it. Gonna try again in awhile.

It has spark and nothing blocking the air so maybe too weak of spark? Of too much fuel. I did some reading and I might have to pull the carbs off and clean them. I hope it doesn't come to that this since it looks like a tight fit.

On my way home

F1916756-9A29-4707-8129-D05163A7EFEC-238

All clean and in the garage

B2A464B8-A523-423D-85B1-1D1375C2C330-238

• Like 11
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So looks like the choke cable is broken. I set the choke by hand and it fired up for a second but then I let got of the choke and it died. These bikes need allot of choke when it's cold out. Battery is dead again so I'm gonna charge it up and get some starter fluid cause that was also recumended on a bike forum for trouble cold starting

carbs are cake, and if you swap to pods even easier, if you swap to pods though you'll need to re-jet for the increase in air. Makes sure the stator is working when you get the bike going, the stators on any gs are known for going out. Otherwise those things are super reliable and easy to work on, had a gs1000 and a gs850g, man I loved the 850g more then anything. Seriously though I'd order a carb rebuild kit, jet kit, some pods, and soak the carbs in diesel while waiting for the parts to get there. When your about to start re-assembling Spray the hell out of the carbs with carb cleaner and get into every orifice, should really clean up easy after soaking long enough. Also during the first oil change add maybe a cup or even half a cup of Automatic tranny fluid to the oil, the tranny fluid dissolves the sludge inside your motor that comes from sitting for extended periods of time, after about 500 or so miles change the oil again. You won't notice any performance change from doing the oil thing but it will probably help your motor. After all that you'll have a nice beginner bike thats worth about $1500, feel like getting fancy after that you can cafe it and make it a $3000 bike, but if you bobber it it'll still be a $1500 bike.

The choke cable was the problem for sure! I sprayed some starting fluid in the ari box to get it going then it started right up and I had to hold the choke for awhile. I ended up sticking a screwdriver through the lincage to keep it running and after the carbs cleared up it ran great. I even took it out for a short ride around my property. It's all gravel tho so a little scary for my first ride on a street bike ever haha at least I already got a helmet. Anyway looks like a choke cable is all I need... And a new mirror caugh caugh newb power

I took a video cause I was soo excited

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p632/joshwithoutua/814A0F0D-B090-4C46-A3B8-97F65B5F235F-2864-000003DD1EED5B76.mp4

Freaken awesome day!!

Well I must have caught him after the change of heart changed again. Seemed like a cool guy and a nice bike

Haha yea the cat tries to help when I'm working on my car. He likes to try to take a nap on me when I'm laying under the truck trying to get stuff done. He only left me alone after the motor scared him off haha

Ordered a new cable off egay and fixed the mirror. Now the only thing left to do is find a new seat cause the old one is held together with duct tape and held on with a bungee cord. Surprisingly feels solid when you ride it tho. And I've only had it up to second gear so far cause on gravel that is plenty fast for that heavy of a bike

Gonna get some bars soon for sure after I get my endorsement and get ust to riding it. This is my first bike haha ony ridden dirt bikes a couple times but my first ride on it felt great

Yea it seems common for people to have issues and park their bikes. Seems to be simple fixes allot of times tho. The guy I bought it from knew it was probably simple but just needed the money now instead of making it run and getting more later

Oh and turn signals aren't working so I'll be looking into that tomorrow

Yea I plan in adjusting the valves and tuneing the carbs just to make sure it's running at it's best. It sounds great right now and no hesitation from the carbs at all when accelerating

Yea I plan on keeping it mostly stock till I'm more experienced on the road. I also like the stock look allot so I'm not in a big hurry to make it cafe yet

Well my new ignition switch came in 2 days early. So I installed it, it's soo nice to have keys haha. I rode the bike around for awhile and seems like my idle jet is clogged.... :/ not really wanting to take the carbs apart but looks like I might have to.

Old switch and new switch

9D9F3ABB-0BC6-40EB-A325-ABC564F1DB82-416

Before

8CC40B36-4EC2-44B2-AF3E-8E15D8C536C7-315

After

9BFD4909-EDD2-41FE-8E89-49E618BA3200-416

Thanks dude! I'm having allot of fun with it. When you get that thing running good you should ride it to some meets, I plan on riding my bike on the next seaside cruise.

I worked on the bike more. Replaced a leaks fuel Line and found the wires for the gas gauge were not plugged in. Fixed it and now that works too. I was having trouble shifting through the gears cause it was stiff so I sprayed pb blaster in the lincage and worked it back and fourth a bunch and now it shifts smoothe and easy. Then I used a trick I learned at the cycle shop and cleared the carbs up better. It still dies without choke but I think the idle is out of adjustment so I'll look into that. Then I rode it around a ton and fully enjoyed the fruits of my labor

If it dies with the choke off, your primary jets are plugged for sure. You will most definately need to pull those carbs. Don't let anyone try and tell you to run Seafoam or any of that shit through, waste of time and money. With only 30k on the bike I wouldn't worry about a valve adjustment at all unless it's making noise, those GS engines are damn near bullet proof. Clean the carbs and it'll run like a champ.