Tailgate straps?

XXL

My '68 520 doesn't have any straps to limit the tailgate.  A picture in the owner's manual shows the tailgate laying all the way down... did the trucks not come with any straps to limit the gate?  Mine would certainly hit the bumper and get mangled if I let it drop all the way down.  If they did come with straps, does anyone know where I could get a pair of decent quality used ones or even new repops?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what I've seen are chains. think the 521's are the same. Few pic's of what I've seen and for reference..

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

the only different's is the 520's might of not had the wire that keeps the hook from falling off. i sent ya a pm. 

I just went to a decent hardware store and bought some medium sized chain and some caribiner like clasps.

Yep.  I was just contemplating that... or scavenging some sheathed cable ones from a modern vehicle.  Thanks, all.

Just picked up a pair of 2002-2008 Dodge Ram check straps for cheap.  They have a ring on one end and a "slip ring" kind of setup on the other end.  I'm going to remove the metal hoops from the tailgate and the bed side and put some PEM nuts in their place so I can bolt these up.  The way the Dodge "slip ring" side works, I'll be able to remove them without any tools if, for any reason, I want to drop the gate below horizontal, or if I want to remove the gate.

dodgeramtailgatestrapend.jpg

• Like 1
Get some old garden hose or bicycle inner tube on the chain to cut down the rattle. They'll look so good someone will steal them!

BTW, as a many-time Chevy stepside owner, the problem with the garden hose or bicycle tube approach is that those collect water, so you end up with gooey rusted chains.  The car manufacturers finally figured this out and now all use shielded cable for check straps.  Cheap, easy, and effective.

My 1947-53 chevy truck came with a rubber tube around the chain with multiple holes in the tube.

Yeah, GM stepsides through 87' all had the same basic chain setup.  The boots were actually optional.  What users found is that the moisture against the chain would rust and mung up, and then the rubber would rot away.  I've had nearly a dozen C10's over the years (I posted a pic of my current one in my intro thread... there's so many mods to that thing, it doesn't even have a tailgate any more).

My 1947-53 chevy truck came with a rubber tube around the chain with multiple holes in the tube.

BTW, how can anyone hear a chain slapping around over the dual SUs and header with the cherry bomb muffler.

My truck isn't very loud, just a very nice rumble.  Any time I'd hit a pothole or a drainage dip at an intersection, especially when making a turn, they would make an obnoxious racket.

We had these one on our truck when we bought it and just had Jrock powdercoat them

E11B9C07-B446-42E1-9A4C-904C75D2FC1C-184

And we found these last summer on a '71 in the junkyard.  They still have what appears to be the stock rubber tubing (which is clearly super brittle and deteriorating, but still functional.

IMG_1930_zpsd3e52908.jpg

IMG_1931_zpsac2edf52.jpg