1971 Datsun 521 pickup-Project

Truck is located in Canby, OR 97013

Price $600 OBO

Been browsing the forum for quite awhile now, mostly looking for info working on this darn truck. It belongs to a co-worker and Ive been the one cursed with working on it. We finally convinced him to ditch it in favor of something more reliable. Its got lots of plusses as a project vehicle for someone who loves Datsuns, but not so much a rig to get to work everyday...

~15,600 on the Odometer... your guess is as good as mine as to how many times its been rolled over...

The good:

-Pretty straight and all the metal is there

-Glass is all there and good

-Good tags (Oregon) til 7/13

-Decent tires on aftermarket wheels

-Weber 32/36

-Recent tune up (points, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, and coil)

-Recently replaced the distributor with a better used one.

-Good battery

-Gauges all work

The bad:

-Low compression across the board (130psi) and almost none in #2 (25psi), currently not running

-Interior is pretty trashed (see pic)

-Brakes need attention, theyll stop you but might pull you sideways into the ditch

-Definitely needs an alternator.

Pics for your viewing pleasure:

CIMG0039.jpg

CIMG0041.jpg

CIMG0040.jpg

CIMG0042.jpg

CIMG0038.jpg

CIMG0045.jpg

CIMG0044.jpg

The owner really wants to just junk it, but being a car guy myself (of the old Toyota variety) I convinced him that it would be a better fate for the little truck to go to a datsun nut than to the scrapper.

Post here or PM me for contact info.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, the boss says hed deliver to Tigard for $50... and Id imagine any similar distance (less than 25 miles)

Edit: Shoot, its a 4 speed so Id flat tow it behind my celica for 10 bucks in gas if it helps sell this thing to an enthusiast

Edited by wesselus
So...did you do a cyl balance test on that 3rd cyl? Kinda want to know if it needs a head or just the gasket. What else can you say about the truck? I am interested. When I get to my computer I'll PM ya.

I didnt go any further than finding that it had low compression as the owner didnt want to put any more money into it. The headgasket was recently replaced. It had blown between 2 and 3, and looked to me like it had blown there previously.

Yes, clean and clear title.

Oh and I finally understood your previous post about the tools :facepalm:

To clarify: the truck actually belongs to a co-worker who is our lawn maintenance guy, so I dont think hed be interested in tools.

Edited by wesselus
i was wondering if you would like to part out the truck.pm

Not really interested in parting it out at this point, especially since theres interest in it whole, but Ill consider it before I let it go to scrap.

• Like 1

somebody save this jewel from the scrapyard/crusher please. it looks to good to be parted out. if it were any closer to me here in phoenix,az i would jump on it real fast. heck i would pay for towing/shipping if close by.

flatcat19: you better get it soon. 

somebody save this jewel from the scrapyard/crusher please. it looks to good to be parted out. if it were any closer to me here in phoenix,az i would jump on it real fast. heck i would pay for towing/shipping if close by.

flatcat19: you better get it soon. 

We're working on it.

B)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.