New Guy Introduction

I've been lurking around these forums for a couple of months now, interjecting my two cents here and there.  Figured it was about time to introduce myself, now that I actually own a Datsun.  Around my late twenties, I really started to regret never taking my grandfather up on his offer to give me his 510.  Both me and my brother passed up the offer.  For our first cars, my brother got a Trans Am and I decided to get a Karmann Ghia.  I had a great time with the Ghia, and it served me well for many years, but I have many nostalgic memories of that 510 that have kept getting stronger with time.  So after about another decade of hemming and hawing, I finally decided to just bite the bullet get one.  Here's some old pictures of my grandfather's 510 (I wonder where it is now):

QandW_zpsc70cfc58.jpg

That's my brother holding me...

SoftDrinks_zps34634e55.jpg

This one was taken in Birds Landing, CA (note the license plate number...hmmm, where can it be now)

Monterey_zps04a0215d.jpg

I'm doin' a "Dukes of Hazard" across the hood!  (Whoa, that looks like a Corolla grill next to us)

FloresWay_zps4bf89420.jpg

Can't tell from the black and white pictures, so here's proof that it was red.

Wagon_zps9c0c2c21.jpg

Oh yeah, my mom's car was a green wagon, too.

Okay, that's enough strolling down memory lane...

So the last couple of months, I've been trying to soak up as much information from Ratsun, in order to make an informed purchase.  And if it's one thing I've learned, this forum is an amazing resource. Honestly, I didn't think that I'd be buying so quickly.  I would have liked to have had some more time to save up another 2 or 3K$, but you know how hard it is to pass a good deal when one is presented to you.  Basically, I purchased someone elses unfinished project.  It's a 1973 510 with a KA swap that I'd say is about 30% complete.  My plan is to just take my time and have fun with whole build process.  I'm sure I'll hit a few roadblocks along the way, but nothing that the Ratsun crew couldn't talk me through.  I'm looking forward to sharing and swapping ideas with all of you here.  Here are some pictures of the car:

Front_zps2433f766.jpg

Back_zpsd85eb04c.jpg

Engine_zpscd6ad972.jpg

Interior_zps0cd7084e.jpg

And a bunch of extra parts that came with the car...

ExtraParts_zpscc857f45.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on the new purchase. It sounds like you had a lot of good memories with your grandfather and his 510. The feeling when you turn the key and drive her for the first time is one the most rewarding feelings you can enjoy. Consider making a build thread so others can watch the progress unfold. Can't wait to see this project finished!

• Like 1