Heat your shop for FREE.

EricJB

I was the harshest of like 2 critics and even I said I would still do one and gave suggestions  Think you may be taking things too personal. Isn't part of the point to be fruit for thought?  Ya your have redesigned by the time you finished building, great, forums help that no? 

In any event some valid points.

Burning coal has been around a long time too does that make it clean? Even "clean coal" is terrible. 

I used a torpedo kerosene heater for years. Those things are dirty as hell, no doubt about that.
The propane stacks are clean though. I would venture to guess cleaner then a oil burning rig since a lpg car can pass smog here with no cats but a car burning oil with cats cant. Propane is just so damn expensive now. cng is up too despite the boom of fracking 

Like I said The idea is cool, I would prob try similar if I had a garage with power and some actual info on the ramifications (pollutants, carcinogens etc...) of burning used engine oil. Call me crazy but that latter one is important to me. 

You should have screwed around you prob would have gotten me lol. Your no fun anymore... 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Propane is just so damn expensive now. cng is up too despite the boom of fracking 

You aint kidding. My house eats $400.00 a month this time of year. And it's cold and wet compared to anything else. Give me a wood or pellet stove anyday. I live in the flood plain so the wood would float away ha ha. 

Could they be much worse than a non catalytic wood stove? I searched and found some info on waste oil heater pollution and found an actual Vermont State study.

It was from 96 it recommended they be allowed, the commercial versions tested met the then state regs for pollution.

Adding a Cat as suggested would possibly improve the exhaust and may be worth the experiment but without a measurement system you wouldn't know if it actually does anything.

Lets hook a 5 gas analyzer up to one! then we can compare lol. 

I think its safe to assume a cat will help a good amount being that its designed to filter exactly what will be running though it at close to the same temps. 

I enjoyed seeing this.

Thanks for sharing EricJB !

My old work/shop use to use a commercial unit.

It used a crapload of oil... Sometimes more than 55 gallons of old fleet oil(saved all year for this) in one day. I don't remember how big of a shop. 4-bays and tall with a crappy insulation job though..

i believe the reason that oil burning out of a motor is bad is because it probably isn't totally burned. so it's more vapor with half-burned oil particles attached to it. With this oil burner, it is getting full oxygen and full burn potential. But i too am not a scientist, so i may be wrong.

and we had a sketchy 30 year old burner in a shop i worked at, it kept the whole shop warm with the doors open. f'n awesome.

Burn it all. Burning oil in place of wood means more trees. More trees mean better air quality. It all balances out.

I drove a 10k rpm 2 stroke for 2 years. I got surrounded by college hippies at the traffic light in clemson once. They told me I was the reason for air pollution. I proceeded to light up the back tire and pump out clouds of blue smoke till the light changed.

• Like 1
Yeah I wasn't criticizing you for the placement of your stove, just didn't want you to burn your shop down! 

No worries. When I was putting it in I had to move it around a bit to find a level spot. The only place it sat level and did rock back and forth was a bit closer than I wanted. And then when i realized how hot it got, I knew it would need to be moved. As with any build, I took pics along the way without posting anything till I had a functioning unit. I guess I got a little excited when it fired up and ran that I posted before I installed it completely.

Dat lurka, I grew up during the hippie movement, and went to school with kids named Strawberry( no really) and Sunshine. Turns out they were right. If we would have listened to them 40 yrs ago, things might be a bit cleaner around here. I rode nasty old 2 strokes too, right past thier commune, and still prefer them over thumpers.  Guilty as charged.

meanwhile outside ..

80394006_Birds_01_248033c.jpg

Good one. Was that from my waste oil heater, or from the 35 gallons of kerosene? Or maybe all those damn Datsuns with dual ( or triple) sidedrafts. Those are birds right? I'd hate to feel sorry for a bunch of rocks ha ha. And then those polluting cars ran them over.

For a second there I thought I was reading a post from a PRIUS forum with all the talk about huggin trees and eatin granola or whatever was said. Haha I kid I kid. Great job on the build, I need to make one of these if not to just to get rid of the 15+ gallons of oil sitting in my garage. Powerstroke oil change = 14 quarts of used oil. Now if I could only figure out a way to heat the shop with all the black smoke Rollin out of my diesel.... Rollin coal bitches!!!!!!

No its not a prius tree huger forum thread unless all the too cool for school kids come along talking doodoo about diesels and downshifting next to prius's to make em cry. 

Here this should make you feel more comfortable lol 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21roxRBqRSI

DTP 55 gal in a day! thats nuts haha

No its not a prius tree huger forum thread unless all the too cool for school kids come along talking doodoo about diesels and downshifting next to prius's to make em cry. 

Here this should make you feel more comfortable lol 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21roxRBqRSI

DTP 55 gal in a day! thats nuts haha

I do love me some Madagascar ;)

• Like 1