• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
XXL if you have time i would really like to see more pictures of engine compartment

and behind the seat. Like the jack? Your truck appears unaltered and I would like to see

what my engine should look like . The more the better. Thanks. Your truck is great.

How dose it drive? I'm dying to drive mine.

Truck runs and drives great (with <67hp it's no barn burner).  Engine is stock.  It has a one-wire alternator on it, so no regulator on inside of fender.  It has aftermarket coil and wires, so they stick up off the cap like you'd expect to see, rather than the "sideways" wires that are captured by the original cap.  I also installed a Pertronix electronic ignition the other day (see this thread-- http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52578-anyone-recommend-converting-to-electronic-ignition/), so I got rid of the ballast resistor and am using the Pertronix coil, which is slightly smaller than the original.  Behind the seat is pretty boring.  There is a bottle jack that looks to be original, but it is missing some small metal piece to hold it to the floor.  There is a tab on the floor, but I'm guessing that there's a small piece with a wingbolt or something that I don't have... so the jack doesn't stay in its place.  I'd like a picture of that as well, so I know what to hunt down.  There is also a small bag of tools that may or may not be original.  It's a lug wrench, a screwdriver, and maybe one other tool of some sort.  I'll have to look.  I noticed there's a clip on the back wall of the cab... perhaps where the handle for the jack is supposed to go???  I'll have the seat out tomorrow (see this post-- http://community.ratsun.net/topic/51793-seat-ideas/?p=864937), so I'll try to get some pics of the cab while it's out.

• Like 1

funny I have wing nut and little brace , I also have the jack / engine crank and it fits in rear clips.

i have no jack that may prove harder then starter to find. i havnt set up my photo crap yet so cant

get pics posted yet but i need to soon because I got it running yesturday. yes!! runs well. I also just

hooked up a one wire gm alt so I will be going though harness to remove volt reg and other misc

wires.your truck is great . hope the seat came out better the second time mines leaving soon to get done

I will next be installing the matchbox dist and high output coil. I seem o have a 411 air cleaner box but im

unsure. all air box brackets are there as if they put a complete j1300 from a 411 in it or something

engine # dosnt match tag . my air box intake points to pass front of vech.

another question my heater hose wraps around the intake & exhaust . ive seen them this way

and routed between valve cover and dipstick . how dose yours route. i am going to reroute mine i think.

Notice that the bottle jack appears to be missing something on the right side that would be used to hold it down.  Anyone know what I'm missing?  Have you got a spare one laying around you'd like to get rid of???

• Like 1

Here are the tools in the bag.  The tire iron is probably not correct, since it's too big for the tool bag and too small to fit the clips on the back wall of the cab.  The pliers and screwdriver are probably something a PO threw into the bag.  Is the item at the bottom of the picture part of the jack handle or is that a mechanical starter that highdesertdatsun made mention of?

datsun50.jpg

• Like 1
another question my heater hose wraps around the intake & exhaust . ive seen them this way

and routed between valve cover and dipstick . how dose yours route. i am going to reroute mine i think.

Here are a few underhood pics.  I will be creating another thread regarding the heater hose as I'm in the home stretch on a tiny-project-versa-est-enormous-project on that.  In the first pics below, you can see the temporary beginnings of it coming out of the water pump.

datsun51.jpg

datsun52.jpg

datsun53.jpg

• Like 1

XXL, I am fairly certain that the jack and tools are from a mid 80's Toyota.  That is why there appears to be something missing for your hold down clip.  The original jack would be much shorter and wider than the Toyota one.  I made the brake adjuster tool pictured there from an old screw driver.  The original jack rod would have been one piece, not three like the Toyota.  

I am curious as to the point of your work with the heater hose?  I never had any problems with that and when I changed the water pump everything fit exactly like the original.  

The other thing that is not original on that truck are the headlight relays.  When I got the truck there was no relay at all and it was just wired direct.  Not a good situation.  So I put in the two relay system as instructed by Mike Klotz and others on this site.  I also did the 1 wire alt. mod since there was a short in the old wiring that I mistook for a burnt out external regulator.  As it was not original anyway, I thought I would make the improvement.  A new regulator costs as much or more than the internally regulated alt.  Plus, now upgrading to more amps would be easy.  

I enjoy seeing your progress.  I will be eager to see the seat when you get it done.  

• Like 2

Thanks for pics of everything. Man that truck is clean. I covet that truck. I want a glass

fuel filter. Ill find one. The floor is beautiful. Very nice. I didnt see the engine crank in your

Pics it is two piece fixxed together so it folds. I started my truck with it. Nice to have

When you couldnt find a starter. Ha ha. Or in Mexico. The tip is kinda L shaped and crank

kicks it back when she fires. My 520 is Named Nikki. Shes Green. My wife put a Datsun sign

on her ass to get noticed. Ive kinda drove in head first into datsun land too. Fudge now I have

a SAE Datsun. That shares a cylinder head design w MGB and I seem to have found that some

of them or parts or something was made in Mexico.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...
3 hours ago, XXL said:

Bumping a pretty old thread... my little 520 is headed back to the Bay area to new owners Cesar @atceeze and Andrea, where I hope they enjoy it as much as I have over the last decade plus. It's been fun.

Thank you for granting us ownership over this 520. My wife and I are stoked to see what's in store for us with this little truck. After skimming and reading a handful of threads and other conversations, I'm now aware that we have very, VERY big shoes to fill in. We realize how much popularity this 520 has in this community and luckily enough, we both are grateful to see the similarity in tastes. I will attempt to keep the torch lit in here and provide updates to the best of my ability. Ironic to know that it used to frequent neighboring streets close to home in the Bay Area. I'll be posting an update in the next few days with a proper introduction. Cheers!

• Like 6