In which a 4x4 620 is built

This thread is to record my efforts to make a nice daily driver from a couple of '79 620 KC's and a 720 KC 4x4 chassis.  My dad bought a '78 new that had been converted to 4x4, and I found one on a used car lot in the 90's that I wish I had bought but didn't.  Other than that, I haven't seen any 4x4 620's in person.

Here are my '79's.  I bought them both for $850.

IMAG1611web.jpg

They both run and the one with the aluminum rims has a solid body and a four-speed.  The other truck, which I bought for parts, has a five-speed, sliding rear window and nice seats.  My original plan was to use the engine and five-speed from the parts truck (since the other engine smokes a little) and do an SAS from an early Toyota 4x4.  In fact I did swap the engine/trans and spent a lot of time researching the SAS and scouring CL for parts.  Then I came across this:

IMAG1805web_zps0eabce34.jpg

It's a chassis from an '84 720 KC 4x4 that's in good shape and only cost me $100.  It has the Z24 and five-speed.  The guy that had the chassis said he bought it as a running truck that had sideswiped a tree but still had a good bed, which is what he needed.  He also used the water pump and exhaust manifold, so I will have to buy them, but it otherwise appears complete and solid.  The aluminum wheels where the only ones I had that would fit over the front hubs.

630web_zpsd56d934a.jpg

I have searched and read everything I could find on Ratsun about 4x4 620's.  It's obvious that most people prefer the solid axles to the IFS, and for a truck that sees offroad duty, I fully agree.  In this case, I doubt the truck will ever be anything but a DD and I am looking forward to the better ride and handling that the IFS is known for.  In the future, if I decide to go a different direction with it, I can still do an SAS while having the benefit of a factory-engineered and installed 4x4 driveline, complete with a rear axle that is already spring-over and a t-case mounted in a chassis that was designed for one.

I will outline my plans for the truck.  They are loose because I usually change my mind several times during a project, but as of now I plan to swap the cab from one '79 onto the 4x4 chassis.  I will use the hood, bed, seats and backglass from the parts truck.  There won't be any lift unless needed for clearance.  I really want white steelies with a stockish-size tire, like a 225-235/75-15 to maximize power and fuel economy, but I may use the aluminum 17" rims since I already have them if I can find a tire I like in a size that's equivalent to those mentioned.  I have been working with a tire calculator to compare sizes.  I have access to a bodyshop, and I will be considering different colors to paint the truck.  My overall goal is to have a dependable and reasonably economical stock-appearing 4x4.  I stare at this picture a lot for inspiration:

720chassis.jpg

This oic came from this forum and I will gladly provide credit for it if someone will tell me who's truck/pic it is.  To me it is a mighty fine ride.

Anyway, i will take pics and update as I can make progress.  The truck is on the other side of the county from my house and I work long days, so progress happens on my days off as opposed to daily like some builds, but hopefully there will be semi-steady updates since I am looking forward to getting it on the road. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is Jun's truck, you have good taste his truck is very nice. Im sure some with be able to help you out on here. Score on the 4x4 chassis.

Awesome, thanks.  I hope he doesn't mind my using the pic.  And yeah, I couldn't believe my luck when I found that chassis.  He was a few hours away and was about to crush it, so I couldn't get there fast enough.

So the cab came off the donor '79 with no real fuss.  There isn't a lot to unhook on an older truck like this, and the parking brake cable was the only thing that put up any fight at all.  It took a little heat to get the cable housing loosened from the equalizer, but fortunately I didn't have to cut anything.  I used an engine hoist and ratchet straps to pull the cab.

655web_zps8c07c9b6.jpg

658web_zps086c154b.jpg

657web_zpsd41a2fc0.jpg

659web_zps6f6086b7.jpg

Just as I have read in multiple threads, the body mounts are lining up well with the cab.  This makes the body swap route that much more worth it for my intended use of the truck as a daily driver.

Lowering onto 4x4 chassis:

660web_zpsc2ebc953.jpg

664web_zps53820137.jpg

The mounts lined up fine, but the shape of the inner rockers on the 620 cab made for contact with the end of the frame mounts, so  little trimming was in order.  Tough to see in a fuzzy cell oic, but I just cut about a half-inch off the end.

663web_zps3eadb5f5.jpg

I'm liking the height.  I may lose a little when I install more parts, but the tires will be significantly taller than the ones in the pics.

665web_zpsd55ac534.jpg

4x4 620's are snazzy, IMO.

675web_zpsc1c3e41e.jpg

• Like 1

Here's what I have to decide soon: to make this truck easily repaintable without repainting under the hood, I'm thinking about spraying the engine compartment a neutral color like medium grey.  Black is a little overdone and to me it gives the impression of a quick rattle can job to cover up an old color.  I can paint the engine comp body color but, besides the fact that I don't know what that will be yet, I also expect that I will eventually change the color sometime in the future if I keep it for many years.  Either way I want to clean it up and paint it while the cab is off for the last time. 

I think a medium grey would work with most colors and keep the engine compartment from being a black hole.

Opinions?

IMAG1889_zps22c81d76.jpg

Thanks for checking out my thread.  Here is the bed coming off the parts truck.  At a glance, it looks rougher than the bed on the other truck, but in reality they are very similar in condition, and this one isn't missing a panel behind the right rear wheel.  It also has a brand-unknown spray- or roll-in bed liner that is in pretty good shape.  The half-ton homemade tailgate is going into the scrap pile in favor of a good 'gate that came with the other truck.

676web_zpscb743238.jpg

I know the pictures sucketh when the sun is shining into the bay, but it beats getting banned for not posting pics!

677web_zps1d63bc1c.jpg

678web_zps4745d9dd.jpg

686web_zps5ce0ba68.jpg

687web_zps22de81fd.jpg

The side shot is a little cluttered with the '68 Charger in the background, conveniently the exact same shade of prison gray primer.

Hrm... I like this thread :) Definately approve of restoring a 4x4 because I have never seen one down here in the sticks.

You should sell me the hood that you aren't using :P

Hard to find parts on the east coast it seems. I always run across stuff when I don't have the money...

Edit: I think slotting the bed mount would be the way to go. No one would ever notice and even if they did all that matters is making it match what you want.

Kirden, I def feel you on finding parts around here.  I would make a fellow forum member a deal on the hood that would be impossible to pass up, but it sure would be a long drive from Macon to get it.  I have a buddy in Adel that should be up here in February; maybe we can arrange a meeting on his way back through if he drives his truck.

That would be awesome. My hood is slathered in bondo and I think it is one of the thai remakes. It doesn't fit well at all. If we can't figure something out on a meet up I might just have to make a trip to NC, or pay for shipping, but I don't really like shipping hoods and such. They never take care of large items and body panels are so rare down here that I don't think I could risk it if there is another way.

That would be awesome. My hood is slathered in bondo and I think it is one of the thai remakes. It doesn't fit well at all. If we can't figure something out on a meet up I might just have to make a trip to NC, or pay for shipping, but I don't really like shipping hoods and such. They never take care of large items and body panels are so rare down here that I don't think I could risk it if there is another way.

Ok, I'll talk to him.  The hood isn't perfect; it's dented in the center.  Fixable, but they are a pain to fix.  If you want it and I can get it to you, you can have the hood for free, but maybe you could give my buddy a little something for his time.  I'll get you a pic of the hood at an angle that shows its condition.

I thought about that Redeye, but it's so close to centered that it isn't worth doing.  I'm more concerned about the bed contacting the cab if I get twisted up a little.  You can't see it in the pics but there is a verticle tab of sheetmetal on each side of the front of the bed that nearly touches the cab.  By the way, I like both of your trucks.

Ok, I'll talk to him.  The hood isn't perfect; it's dented in the center.  Fixable, but they are a pain to fix.  If you want it and I can get it to you, you can have the hood for free, but maybe you could give my buddy a little something for his time.  I'll get you a pic of the hood at an angle that shows its condition.

As long as the hood is mountable and doesn't hit the cowl area when ou open it it will be much better than what I have. If you are able to send it down I can meet your buddy on his way back. I definately don't mind compensating him for his time. Just let me know if he feels that he can help us out with this.

As long as the hood is mountable and doesn't hit the cowl area when ou open it it will be much better than what I have. If you are able to send it down I can meet your buddy on his way back. I definately don't mind compensating him for his time. Just let me know if he feels that he can help us out with this.

He isn't driving his truck when he comes but he has offered to see if it will fit in his Escape or on the roof rack.  :thumbup:

I pulled the cab and bed back off the frame yesterday so I can paint the frame and engine bay.  I have some surface rust to address in the engine bay, and since it is a 620, the battery tray has some rust.  I can get away with it as is, but I may do something to improve the looks while I'm working in there.  The plan is to mix some black and white Uno (RM single-stage urethane) that Dad keeps in stock to an acceptable shade of gray for the bay. 

IMAG1890_zpsa638bf06.jpg

Here's the engine bay after removing all the stuffage:

IMAG1899_zps7fbc5c7b.jpg

And here be the stuffage:

IMAG1900_zps4b2a3e54.jpg

Progress may seem to slow at this point because of the prep work in the engine bay and frame painting (snore), but I will be working on it on all my days off and posting oics every few days.  Hopefully I can permanently install the cab some time next week and focus on wiring and plumbing.  I am still considering different colors for the truck.  We have a few gallons of custom colors that are made up of leftovers from repairs and paint jobs.  They are RM Diamont polyester basecoats.  Here is one:

IMAG1884_zps034cd417.jpg

It is similar to the color of my '07 Ram pictured in my first post.  I'm not sure how well I would like a metallic red on an old Datsun compared to, say, a solid red, but it is about $800 worth of basecoat and that makes it more attractive.  I also really like dark green metallics, and I have a couple of quarts of that, so I would only have to buy a couple more quarts.  Two-tone with silver below the style line near the bottom of the body is also a possibility. 

Comments welcome.