110V Welder gas mix for MIG?

I thought I'd ask people for their opinion on gas mixes for the 110V welders that they are using for MIG work. General purpose mix that works well for most things?

Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are on the subject.. any body know of a "GENERIC" gas wirefeed upgrade for migs// Ive got a Chicago Electric 100 mig welder, but havnt been able to find a gas upgrade for it like I see for more well known welders.

I use argon CO2 mix I think it's 75% mix...

I would go into the gas place and see what they suggest for your setup.

What is a 'gas upgrade'? Is that just adding gas?

BTW...MIG is Metal Inert Gas (I may have the M wrong) if your not using gas your just wirefeed arc welding and you should be using flux core wire ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah - without gas, you're going to get oxygen mixed into your welds with straight mig wire, which is going to accelerate rusting. The gas is meant to shield the mig wire from the air. If you don't have gas, you have to use flux-core wire.

For a "gas upgrade," your unit has to be equipped to run with both mig wire and flux core wire. Most of the cheaper flux-core-only welders aren't set up with gas fittings, nor do they have the hoses or gun tip that allows gas to go through it.

Being a Datsun owner... and the Can do kind of guy.. I figured if i just put a wirefeed that had the gas attachment I could just hook up a bottle of argon co2 mix and VWALLLA shielded welding.. and it allmost worked.. but I did not know one thing... with shielded welding.. you reverse the polarity... this I learned from the instructional DVD that came with my new Lincoln Welder.:D

• 4 months later...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!did you say you watched the DVD?....I will bet that you are in the absolute minority...that is like reading the INSTRUCTIONS!!!...way to go...(Yes I am a real smart ass aren't I???) LOL...Good for you, I have been a heliarc welder for more years than I care to mention..and i just think that learning to weld is a skill that is so valuable for car nuts of all types...(along with GOOD equipment..)

Damn, Thanks for reminding me... I bought a 180 Lincoln MIG with gas attachment (just have to get a bottle). Used my bonus to get it and get this... put it in the corner and forgot about it! I better go look and see if it's still there. I have some projects this winter so it'll get some use, but crap, I've totally been too busy, I forgot about it!

Well... I've only welded with two 110 welders. One had gas, and was some kind of welder from Harbor Freight, it actually worked pretty good, I was impressed with it. The other was no gas, just flux core, I hated it.

Having said that, the one 110 welder I used with gas, had a co2/Argon mix. I assume it was 75/25%. I don't know if I'd chance straight Co2 with a 110 welder. It is cheaper though. I used to weld boat trailers, the company was cheap and bought straight Co2. My welds always turned out fine, but you could only go so fast with it. You can weld much faster, with more wire speed, etc with a mix. Speed really isn't a problem with a "hobbiest welder", so I say if you feel you can weld with straight co2, then go for it, save yourself a couple bucks, and dont rush your welds.

Just my .02

*EDIT* Unless you're welding Aluminum... Then straight Argon for sure!

you are right there is only really one kind of gas, just ask for the mig mix. go to air liquide, they have the best prices. read the instructions when swapping. things can go bad when you dont when using electricity. you will need diferent wire as well, dont forget to get it. and the regulator for the tank, ive seen ppl forget this (kinda funny) your instructions will prolly show you how to change the polarity, its usually located next to the wire spool under the hood. gas pressure depends on the coditions you work in. if its windy, turn it up. 15 -20 usually works for everything. 40 if its windy. now if your like me and have access to a t.i.g. then your laughing. but unfortunatly those are big dollar welders, and i just borrow it!

I guess a well shielded work area free from wind is a must then. Sometimes can't be helped. Keep talking guys, I know little about what I've got here. Mostly stick welding experience over the years. Did stick weld for a month at work, but once set up it's repeditive and you don't learn much.

Jason, sorry for the hi-jack. Back to the gas... Does it have to be a mix? Can you use just Argon, or is it mixed to lower the cost only? 15 to 20 ? is that PSI? Seems high. Hey! I'm a noob!!!

15 to 20 ? is that PSI? Seems high. Hey! I'm a noob!!!

15-20 is about normal and a 25/75 mix is normal mig mix...now then, if you are in a sort of windy area..lots of times you can use your body as a wind shield..also your free hand (if you are adept at one handed welding) also you can use a piece of cardboard to sheild...be creative..if ya wanna save gas reduce to 10-12 psi...you are just a hobby welder...we are not building a rocket ship to the moon, your welds need to be good but not xray quality..hope ya understand what I mean...oh and after all...we are talking about MIG WELDING here.....TIG.(Heliarc) different story.....(sorry i added that cause that was my first welding experience...Mercury and Apollo.....long time ago..sorry bout that...!!)

The main advantage of 75/25 over straight argon is cost (when running ER70S). We use that at work and I can run really fast and get good welds. Run your gas pressure as little as possible while getting consistently good welds without porosity from air currents. I use about 25 cfh on a flowmeter, and about 20 psi at home. I burn a lot of wire, a 44 pound roll lasts about a month.

... this I learned from the instructional DVD that came with my new Lincoln Welder.:D

Well if you can admit it so can I... I watched the DVD too then put it and the welder in the box and put it in the corner. Many times I slowly pissed away my bonus, (but it was for little Datsun things, lol) but this year I promised myself that I would get at least one good thing out of it. I have a 220 amp stick but you can't weld small stuff, so I asked around and decided on a MIG. Everyone said that if I got the 110 I would find later that I would wish that I had gotten the bigger one (hope I didn't get hosed by a car salesman. (gulp) I figure Mrs. datzen might get me a bottle for X-mass, or maybe an aluminum wire feeder for it for my b-day.

Don't worry Mike, I've been following the comments with interest. I'm looking at getting in some practice this winter!

Same here Jason, got to clean out my work area with the dirt floor (not kidding) I call it my clean room. It has a tin roof to keep the weather out and I just scrounged 6 double 8 footer outside fluorescent lights from a sign for it. I tried others but they were indoor ones and when it gets cold they are dim and flicker. I also started a thread about this huge metal filing cabinet I got from work. It has drawers about 4 X 3 feet and 4-5" deep... perfect for tool storage. Comes with a wooden bench to sit it at a comfortable height to use. With 5 drawers thats 60 sq ft of storage, for tools and small parts. Weee

Need to have a place for both welders in there. You know I was thinking that an old shopping cart, cut down, would make a nice cart for a MIG welder. What do you think?

Back to passing gas....

hate to tell ya mike, but if you had the 220 power suppy, i woulda went with the 220 welder. then you coulda had one machine that did steel and aluminum. the 110v machine can only do thin steel and minor frame type work. the 220 can do anything. for the aluminum, just use a spool gun, to prevent you from always having to change the wire in your machine, and for that youll need straight argon.

Damn, Thanks for reminding me... I bought a 180 Lincoln MIG with gas attachment (just have to get a bottle). Used my bonus to get it and get this... put it in the corner and forgot about it! I better go look and see if it's still there. I have some projects this winter so it'll get some use, but crap, I've totally been too busy, I forgot about it!

hate to tell ya mike, but if you had the 220 power suppy, i woulda went with the 220 welder. then you coulda had one machine that did steel and aluminum. the 110v machine can only do thin steel and minor frame type work. the 220 can do anything. for the aluminum, just use a spool gun, to prevent you from always having to change the wire in your machine, and for that youll need straight argon.

No problem! I said I bought the 180 amp (220volt) machine. I plan on a spool gun as I was told that the softer aluminum won't feed properly down a long cable. Argon only for aluminum eh? Will keep that in mind.

Well Mike, I'm re roofing the garage if it doesn't rain this weekend. I need a dry place to work this winter. I have a concrete floor that's pretty badly cracked too. I need to re wire the place so I can have 220 single phase too, I scored a 60 gallon "Speed Aire" compressor that needs the pump replaced so I figure I'm going to learn that this winter too. I'm using my "Craftsman" tool boxes on a wheeled cart to stash the tools in and I have a couple of doors along one wall for my workbench. I have a wood burning stove right in the middle of the garage to keep me warm too :D! Now for some time to do it all...

Well Mike, I'm re roofing the garage if it doesn't rain this weekend. I need a dry place to work this winter. I have a concrete floor that's pretty badly cracked too. I need to re wire the place so I can have 220 single phase too, I scored a 60 gallon "Speed Aire" compressor that needs the pump replaced so I figure I'm going to learn that this winter too. I'm using my "Craftsman" tool boxes on a wheeled cart to stash the tools in and I have a couple of doors along one wall for my workbench. I have a wood burning stove right in the middle of the garage to keep me warm too :D! Now for some time to do it all...

Way ahead of me ... tin roof about 12 X 20 (maybe), but with 3 foot overhang on to the lawn for bike/mower storage out of the rain. Leaning against the neighbor's garage on one side, open on two other sides and with a small shed somewhat blocking the forth wall. Dirt floor, so I don't like to drop stuff or it's gone. Lots of counter space but covered with junk. Long Johns for warmth.

you guys are gonna hate me, i got a 35x48 shop with 24' ceilings. mezaneens (however thats spelt), and a spray booth, engine building room, and spots for all the neat tools. i pretty much run a private resto shop outta mine, when i need cash! ill get some pix of the place tonight, its actually kinda clean right now.

you guys are gonna hate me, i got a 35x48 shop with 24' ceilings. mezaneens (however thats spelt), and a spray booth, engine building room, and spots for all the neat tools. i pretty much run a private resto shop outta mine, when i need cash! ill get some pix of the place tonight, its actually kinda clean right now.

I do hate you :D j/j! Sounds very nice though, something like that is what my friends and I dream of to have, just can't afford one yet.

you guys are gonna hate me, i got a ...

Yup...seriously hating you. :o My garage is an enclosed single-car carport w/ 7-foot ceiling...and currently no room to do much in cuz of all the stuff. :(

driveway for me... it'd be great if it was level, as it is .. eh

Yeah, same here, and Debbie won't agree to chopping it down some. She works for DOT and knows the cost of excavation and removal. :rolleyes:

Look forward to pics of your resto palace.

Here is a link to some pages that help me out. There is a chart some where that talks about kinds of gas, wire and feed rates, etc.

I am in a loose co-op of sorts. I am a contractor and woodworker. Couple years ago I hooked up with a few guys like me and we leased part of a basement in an old furniture factory at the east end of the Hawthorne Bridge in Portland. We framed up three big shops and a little one. We put in some serious three phase power and 200 amp sub panels in each shop. We got a roll up truck door with opener, a little dumpster and a common space bigger than the shops to park, store material and work on big stuff that we don't want to build in the shops.

Last summer the rest of the basement came up for lease and we dicided to grap it and frame up some more shops so we could pick our neighbors and have them keep our rent really cheap. So, we have eleven big and small spaces with lights and power. I built myself a six hundred foot shop from scratch. I built all new work benches with tons of drawers on full extension sliders, lights every where, an 8' x 8' sliding barn door and a 2000 watt heater. All our electric power is included in our rent. I insulated the walls when I rocked it, so it stays between 62 an 70 degrees with low humidity when it's either freezing out or a hundred.

I was stoked. I have built eight shops in my life starting in a carport with a dirt floor to a 4000SF quanset hut with offices and a 5000SF fenced yard for $650 a month. I was in there for many years and got so spoiled.

Just about the time we installed a hundred gallon compressor and remodeled our bathroom, built a lounge area with fridge, microwave and big utility sink, an inspector from the fire department wondered in. He was looking for a different address. We don't have any signs and even when the truck door is open it doesn't look like anything but a parking garage.

The inspector saw so many violations that he freaked. This was in January '07. I was just about to rip into my 620. We had to jump through so many hoops and spend money on alterations to the fire sprinkler system. In the end, we can't do anything like working on vehicles. No painting, unless it's water based, can't store any inflamables, etc. They are keeping an eye on us too. The good news is that they didn't pop us for all the construction and electrical work we did with out permits. The bad news is that we can't work on our vehicles outside of oil changes and stuff.

I have been wanting to tear my 620 down for the last three years, but one thing or another kept happening to prevent that. I just had to do it this summer, so I bit the bullit and am working in my one car garage, with an extension hundred foot extension cord hot wired into the house panel, so I have 220 for my mig welder and 10 gal. comp. Floor is not level and cracked. No insulation, crappy lights, no storage. I got to move things to work, clean up all the time, and can only do one thing at a time basically. I'm not really complaining or whining. It's just what it is. At least my wood shop is not full of mechanics crap and I don't have to drive to work on the truck. Oil and saw dust don't really mix anyway.

So it goes...