Photo

Are the Nismo HD torsions still available?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 nismo dr

nismo dr

Cool Story Bro.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,058 posts
  • Cars:mad Datsun withdrawls

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

all the old nismo catalogs i've seen always had a oic of a baja or offroad 521 next to these, think they were for moar higher not moar loar

You shut up.  You're not helping

Not super hard.  You just gotta know the right people.  You now know the right people.  Welcome to Ratsun.

Fresco historia, hermano.

#22 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

If they are firmer, you can go lower and not bottom out, firmer would also keep a 4X4 higher, the  moar loar you go, the firmer you want, and the same principle applies to the rear of a vehicle also.

#23 datsunaholic

datsunaholic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
  • Cars:Not quite the whole set yet

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

High or low is simply determined by how they're indexed and adjusted.  Stiffer for lower vehicles is to keep them from bottoming out since you're removed most of the factory available travel.  It's better than welding the A-arms to the frame, though it rides and handles about as harsh.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, at least he gets 24 hours notice. That's more than most of us get. All most of us get is, "Mind that bus!" "What bus?" _splat_!

#24 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Cars:Too many according to many.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Thats different never even heard of this set up you are trying to do,seems like a lot of work though,and to each your own i can understand the Oldskool thought but for me i like the way old things look and the way new things work,You know just like  VW's they have come such along way from the old Sandy beach day's but i dont disagree with you i want so see this if you do it.And give me some credit at least i kept my truck with a L block for now.lol hint hint  HAWAIIAN....

This would definitely be a spare frame project. I really want to do it. Maybe in the future. There is nothing wrong with new school. I actually thought about running coil overs and thought about running bagged coil overs. Without massive rework for my goals though, it won't work. BTW, your truck wins over mine everyday. Do what you want and if you lose the motor, you may have a buyer here though.

all the old nismo catalogs i've seen always had a oic of a baja or offroad 521 next to these, think they were for moar higher not moar loar

That's one of the oldskool tricks. Utilize 4x4 suspension components for the 4x2. They are usually designed beefier and stiffer. I tried to this with my 2004 Colorado but there was too many differences. I finally used a fully modified DJM / Belltech combination to achieve the results I was looking for.

Just buy soem KYB "Gas A Just" and that will stiffen it up or the KYB MOMO MAX. from RockAuto

They are too long and will likely raise the truck. However I will be modifying the shock perches to a hoop to hoop style with hopefully a design trick not yet seen here (by me anyway). The shocks are not designed though to hold the weight of the vehicle, only damper the rebound or shock effect of the articulated suspension. Yes, if they are gas-adjusts, etc, they will hold the weight of the truck. Problem is when your in a hard corner, if the weight of the vehicle is depending on the shock for height, it cannot rebound properly and maintain good symmetry. I am looking for static low, ride handling suspension and semi-decent ride. The torsions are a key component to this process.

Think I'm gonna try to order them online first and see what happens. Are the 520/521/620 all the same? Is 720 torsions?

521 studs are different than all the other studs, Stud.

Collector of rarities....VW and 521.

#25 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,000 posts
  • Cars:Trailblazer ss/72 521/71 goon/454 SS/2016 canyon

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

This would definitely be a spare frame project. I really want to do it. Maybe in the future. There is nothing wrong with new school. I actually thought about running coil overs and thought about running bagged coil overs. Without massive rework for my goals though, it won't work. BTW, your truck wins over mine everyday. Do what you want and if you lose the motor, you may have a buyer here though.

That's one of the oldskool tricks. Utilize 4x4 suspension components for the 4x2. They are usually designed beefier and stiffer. I tried to this with my 2004 Colorado but there was too many differences. I finally used a fully modified DJM / Belltech combination to achieve the results I was looking for.

They are too long and will likely raise the truck. However I will be modifying the shock perches to a hoop to hoop style with hopefully a design trick not yet seen here (by me anyway). The shocks are not designed though to hold the weight of the vehicle, only damper the rebound or shock effect of the articulated suspension. Yes, if they are gas-adjusts, etc, they will hold the weight of the truck. Problem is when your in a hard corner, if the weight of the vehicle is depending on the shock for height, it cannot rebound properly and maintain good symmetry. I am looking for static low, ride handling suspension and semi-decent ride. The torsions are a key component to this process.

Think I'm gonna try to order them online first and see what happens. Are the 520/521/620 all the same? Is 720 torsions?

At least i still got my side markers and bed hooks.i just kidding i just kidding.Aloha bradda.HAWAIIAN

#26 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,000 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

oops

#27 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Oh, it's like that.

#28 yello620

yello620

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts
  • Cars:76 FJ40, 68 Chev swb, 94 BMW 530IT

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

I dont know if the 521 and 620 share the same bars but that is something to look into. I believe that there were at least two different sizes of bars for the 620. SWB vs. LWB or KC vs. Standard cab?

I think i saw those size differences listed in my FSM.

76 620, VG30, 5spd, D21 V-6 front disc brakes, 3.90 rear gears:D.

Jason

Link to my yello620
http://community.rat...page__hl__yello

#29 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I dont know if the 521 and 620 share the same bars but that is something to look into. I believe that there were at least two different sizes of bars for the 620. SWB vs. LWB or KC vs. Standard cab?

I think i saw those size differences listed in my FSM.

I think overall length is the most important factor. If the length is the same but the splines are different, you could just change the keys to match as long as they mated up properly to the lower arm.

#30 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

There is also an ad on ebay stating:

1967 DATSUN TRUCK TORSION BARS RODS LEFT RIGHT PICKUP 66 67 68 69 70 72 74 76 77

Can anyone validate?

#31 Farmer Joe

Farmer Joe

Baked or Fried

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts
  • Cars:1977 KLH620 KA24DES FS5W71B HF37

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

ive never heard of an aftermarket torsion bar for the 320/521/620 framed trucks. 

i dont even think the 720 had aftermarket bars, at least for the 2wd. 4x4 720s might have had a following, but i have no idea if a 720 4x4 torsion is the same as one from a previous model. 

as we see from that NICO link, they make after market ones for a d21.. 

might work? 

anyone put a stock d21/hb torsion in a 620 or anything? 

other than the red ones for the d21/hb, the frontier is the only bars that nismo makes and aftermarket set for. hessianben has a set on his frontier. 

id love to have a stiffer set of torsions for my 620.. honestly, i dont need coilovers if i can get a stiffer set of bars. 

"but its that gut feeling of you're drawn to what feels right for yourself and what you're passionate about..."

b7312uX2_zpse3j9j1ot.jpg

#32 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• 15,240 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Didnt GGzilla give the part number.

I believe they all the same. its in the motorsport catalog

Why not call.????? I gave the number or you have to wait till monday for me to ck out muy old catalog to x ref the part numbers

Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#33 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Placed the order. Lets see what transpires. Hopefully good things.

Quantity   Part #                      Description      List Unit Price         Price

1              M-99996-T1450      T/b Set            $250.00 $277.20    $277.20 Subtotal: $277.20 S/H: $40.19 Grand Total: $317.39

#34 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

After 3 days....still waiting to clear "pending status". Grrrr. I hope they come through.

#35 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,000 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Were are they coming from.And are you going to do that set up you wanted to do.

#36 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Their supposedly coming from nismoparts.com (nissanparts.cc) but we'll see. If they fail on this, that's three strike outs for them and I'll call directly as suggested above.

The setup I would love to do is a mere pipe-dream I think. Unless a complete donor pops up, piece mealing will prove to be a costly adventure. That's alright I still got a few tricks up my sleeve.

Anyone waterjet here? It would be 1/2" mild steel.

#37 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,000 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

There is a shop in corona,ca were i live that does it.I can get you a number if you would like.

#38 oldskoolvws

oldskoolvws

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Okay, been absent here awhile....down hard with the flu. Currently walking dead.

BUT..I got word today from nismoparts.com that my NISMO 521 torsion bars....wait for it....

Have shipped! Still available. BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Success!

#39 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,000 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

good job buddy,cant wait to see it on the truck.

#40 Phixius

Phixius

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

What is the load/tension/pound rating for the HD bars? What about stock? How much stiffer are they?

72 Datsun 521 -- http://community.rat...-daily-brownie/

72 Datsun 510 -- http://community.rat...longs-progress/

96 Nissan 240sx -- no thread yet...  maybe soon...

73 Datsun 620 -- http://community.rat...-dirti-martini/

74 Datsun 610 -- http://community.rat...-lablue-lagoon/