To Canby, or not to Canby

At the last minute I decided not to go to the show, what with gas being almost $5 a gallon and my bank card silently suffering in my wallet it seemed the only thing I could do. I did however see some very nice dattos rolling around Oly that saturday, three shnazzy 510's, a 620, and a bitchin' 350Z with a rising sun hood. Afterwards I was out on my porch smoking and considering plots to scrounge up the cash to go, seeing those Dattos brought the fever on pretty heavy and I had some wild schemes cooking. Anyways a lady walking down the sidewalk stopped for a moment to look in my driveway, I didn't think too much of it at first, after all I have a somewhat unique collection of projects out there and am used to people staring with quizzical looks at my Datsuns. So when she walked up to my porch and started talking to me I wasn't really paying much attention, I still had visions of knocking over the local quik-e-mart with a bb gun for some quick cash :eek: it wasn't until I heard the word free datsun truck that I was broken out of my trance, apparently her brother had left a 79 620 longbed out in her fathers backyard and left for Guatemala over two years ago, her father thought the truck wasn't worth trying to sell, the son had tried to sell it for a hundred bucks before he left with no luck, and it had been gathering weeds ever since. The most incredible part of what she said before giving me a number and address to investigate was that the truck ran when it was parked, and that I could have it for free if I could get it out of the yard. All of a sudden all of my no Canby for me woes had disappeared and I was on a new mission. So I went and looked at the truck that day, while it was obviously a project everything seemed to be there, minus a battery, and I told him I'd be back the next day. So sunday rolled around and I went back to the truck armed with carb cleaner, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, a bottle of seafoam, oil, filters, 3 gallons of gas and a freshly charged battery. Luckily these were all things, except the gas, that I keep on hand regularly for my wagon. After an hour of tinkering and amazingly no swearing, I turned the screwdriver in the ignition :lol: and started it up, after which it promptly died :mad:, it wasn't until the third try that I figured out the trick to the gas pedal (continuous flutter pumping for about five minutes) and managed to keep it running, I popped it into gear and crossed my fingers, and lo and behold drove it right out of the yard and onto the road :D. It's super rickity and needs a lot of love but this truck runs drives and stops, and seeing as how those are all things that my other two free trucks can't do I call it a win. So now the truck sits in my driveway and until I can get paperwork on it I am fixing all the little things it needs to make it a work truck. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it :cool:

Here's a few photo's for y'all

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot to mention the bitchin white 521 in Oly.:D We saw you in the green wagon and thought you were maybe one of the folks we were supposed to meet. Nice score on the 620.

As hard as it was on the wallet the trip to Canby was freakin sweet. To bad I cant make blue lake but you should definitely go to that.