My New Toy: Possible Build Thread

Kirden

Just noticed I haven't done any head shots for the truck, Here is the front end in all its glory. Thanks again Adam for sending me the new grille, can't wait to replace this one.

SAM_0059.jpg

SAM_0057.jpg

SAM_0058.jpg

Forgot to add that the previous owner decided it was a good idea to use silver tape to make the stripes, as soon as I get a rattle can the silver tape is gone.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question on the carb, I am guessing I am looking for a 32/36 with manual choke? I figure since my truck has a manual choke that is the one I need. If so the carb is only $199.95+shipping from webercarbsdirect.com They also have water choke and electric choke.

And agian I spoke before clickign the next button... Sorry guys, looks like that site carries the ones specifically for our trucks for 249.95 (DGEV-IC Full install kit) and 279.95 (DGV Install kit).

They also have a 38 but I don't think I need the 38.

So which one would be prefered, the DGV or the DGEV-IC? If there isn't much of a difference I am going to go with the manual choke. Only ever had one other carb vehicle and I can't remember what it had (89 mazda B2200)

I have a DGEV (electric choke) and like it myself.. but its personal preference. I can rip my latch assemly out if you need it, i already have the top half removed, i only use hood pins on mine. 

Welcome to ratsun, take lots of oics, and please make that truck look less like a white trash machine asap! :rofl: 

Haha, workin on it. It might end up being a rattle can job at first just to get all of that rolled on paint off... The entire thing was done with paint rollers and silver tape.

Moar oics!

Shift driver seat back, gonna make a custom bracket

SAM_0063.jpg

Closer look at the carb thats on it, still not sure what it is

SAM_0065.jpg

SAM_0066.jpg

Carb that was in the cab behind the seat. Pretty sure its the orginal minus some parts.

SAM_0067.jpg

SAM_0068.jpg

SAM_0069.jpg

Thats it for now, Step dad was scared of the rain again so no brake progress... I think I'm gonna tear them down myself tomorrow if the rain stops.

I have a DGEV (electric choke) and like it myself.. but its personal preference. I can rip my latch assemly out if you need it, i already have the top half removed, i only use hood pins on mine. 

Welcome to ratsun, take lots of oics, and please make that truck look less like a white trash machine asap! :rofl: 

If you latch system still has the bracket for the release cable I am very interested. Feel free to PM me or let me know on here. Pics would be great :)

Anyone know about rochester carbs? Are they just some kind of universal replacement carb or something? I can't seem to find a site that just covers their carbs. I kinda feel like this carb was just retrofit to the truck and its not the right one for it. If anyone knows anything or needs different pics from other angles let me know.

On a side not I fixed a rough idel problem. The idle screw was out so much that the truck was practically killing itself at idle. one full turn and she chirps like a bird now. Still trying to source a tach that looks original-ish and trying to figure out how in the world the radio is mounted in the dash so I can clean the gauges.

Alright, got a little update with a few oics but first some quick info on the carb. Neighbor came over and helped us work on it, come to find out it is on backwards. I will try to take a pic of the way it was wired to the choke but the cable pulls wrong. Choke pulled out in the truck = open, pushed in = closed. We also had to tighten the cable because even when I closed it in the truck it was still open 1/4th inch. Now the truck runs great and cranks 90% of the time with no gas pedal action. 

On to some pics:

PARTS!

SAM_0083.jpg

Dat ratsun love. Best emblem ever.

SAM_0082.jpg

New relay, fuse, and wire for starter update.

SAM_0081.jpg

Interestingly enough, the pads will be returned. Turns out the brakes were shit because the PO didn't bleed them, now they are working like a champ. Gotta love saving monies.

Sadly progress will probably be slow the rest of this month. I was screwed out of a day of pay so I had to let go of some offers on a few parts. Should be back on track after the 1st of February. Budgets are a bitch...

Edit: Forgot a pic. PO painted the drums on the truck, took forever to break the paint seal. Here is the result:

SAM_0150.jpg

You can also see the undercoat paint.

So I have been looking over a few builds and I am now trying to decide what I want to do with the hood... I originally wanted to replace the hood and use the stock latch, but now I am thinking replace hood and use hood pins...

So guys, help me decide. I am going for a dark blue satin paint, satin black hood, probably black rallys, lowered stance, fender mirrors, ect. So the hood pins would not be out of the question because I am not looking for stock. Do I go with hood pins, flush mount pins (like the top secret set), or fix the stock latch system?

Ofc the other cosmetics will be delt with in due time, but since I have my new grill coming in the mail (thanks Adam) I need to figure out how I am latching the hood. Once the grill goes on there is no more reaching behind it to manually release the hood :P

So, driving home was fun... Got up to speed last night (about 70ish, maybe a little more) and started hearing a rough high paced rattle. I think I need a timing kit and possibly a chain...

The more I work on this truck the more I believe my first impression was correct. I have a feeling the truck was sitting up somewhere, the PO rigged it to get it running, then decided to sell it before anything broke. That lovely little radiator... Its pretty full of rust.

Called up Datsun Parts LLC and for the rebuild it would be about $1500 + $300 for a L20B core and $200 for shipping... I won't have that for 2-3 months sadly so it looks like band-aid time and hope it makes it till I can either get an engine and rebuild it myself, or let the pros build me one. You know you own a Datsun when half the money you make in a year is spent six months in advance...

So, looks like the PO may have disconnected the reservoir tank and not plugged the holes. Either that or the lines have fallen apart.

Went to fill up last night and hear a sudden splash. Look under the truck and about half way between the back end of the tank and the differential there was a small puddle of fuel. After cussing and fussing, knowing that at soon as I started driving I would waste more gas and possibly catch the truck on fire, I eased home. It was 4:00 in the morning so I had no one that could come get the truck. Luckily I avoided catastrophy and spent most of the afternoon before work plugging all of the holes to the reservoir tank.

On a good note we will do a slight tear down this weekend to see what kind of body work I am in for. We are going to pull the bed and look under the cab to see what kind of rust damage we are dealing with. The bed of the truck has some holes in it so I'm not really sure what the best route is going to be to replace those. Ideas for now include everything from donor bed (probably not going to find one) to all new sheet metal pan and spray liner wood finish. No idea where I will end up going with it.

Did some work to the 620 today but my camera wasn't charged... Will try to get pics of the hoses ect tomorrow.

Found out the PO removed the thermostat, so got a cheapy. Replaced the radiator hoses with flex hose so they weren't kinked because of the shit aftermarkett radiator. Had to flush the radiator because it was full of mud (wtf?), and replaced the voltage regulator. Also, why do parts houses want $60 for a speedo cable? Ordered one from rock auto for $14.60 Including shipping.

Thinking of picking up a tach from the PnP untill I can find one from either a 620 or a 1200. Have a hood and cowl coming next week and hopefully the new grill will be here. Spotted a few more dents and dings on the cab and fenders but I think I like them, so may not fix them right away.

Hey man, I'm just up the road in Hampton, GA. I may have a few things from '77 620 if you need. I pulled my original motor and swapped in a KA so that's available. I too am shooting for a bitchin ride when all is said and done. I had to slow my roll after my freelance gig decided they couldn't pay me my invoices (2 months behind). You know Fatt Stripes or any of the Freaks crew? Stay in touch. 

I honestly don't know anyone local that is into Datsuns. Going to meet up with bilzbobaggins this Saturday but that will be the first person I have met with a passion for these vehicles. Sadly everyone around my area drive hondas... but I can't say much as I also have a 95 civic that I will be using as a dd once this build gets to the full body work/ possible engine swap. Hope to eventually sell the civic to fund a 510 four door or goon project, or if I happen to completely luck out, a 610 coupe.

How is that engine? I am slightly torn between keeping the old school feel with a carbed L series or breaking the bank and going KA or SR. If I swap it has to end up with more HP than my old car, so I would be shooting for 250-300 at the crank. But I m really tempted to just enjoy the L18 till it dies, then look at what I should do next.

Honestly I never attempted to run the old engine. When I got the truck I was told it was running but it had sat for a while. I wanted to step into higher horsepower and looks so I swapped. Going dual Mikuni carbs and no smog junk. Plan lots of chrome and polish once done. Just run what ya got until you research and see other things you may like. Good luck.