My New Toy: Possible Build Thread

Kirden

Hey guys, I'm new here. You can either call me Kirden or Jacob, both work fine. I'm 24 and live in Georgia. I just figured I would log in real quick before work to show off my 74 Datsun 620. Its the oldest vehicle I have ever owned, second oldest being my last truck, an 89 Mazda B2200. After seeing Redeyes build thread I knew I had to go pick this truck up. I just bought it today and drove from Atlanta back home, which was about 60 miles. The truck runs great, shifts fine, and the radio works! I even have that old school 280 A/C.

Anyway, I have to leave for work soon but I have three pictures to post. I was trying to get a pic of the engine but I can't get the hood to pop now... All is good in love and Datsun though right? I plan on overhauling this truck completely, and even preparring for an engine swap (something Nissan/Datsun) incase this little L18 fails on me.

SAM_0045.jpg

SAM_0044.jpg

SAM_0046.jpg

First list on the build project, anyone know of a decent and simple upgrade for the brakes? I wanted to look into discs on the front but this truck will have to be daily drivavle by Sunday and I work till Thursday, so I have 2 days to finish up the brakes. Right now they are so shot that I think only one tire is grabbing and the parking brake is useless. Oh, and that paper in the window is a Tag APP for sign, not a busted window :P

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh also, anyone have any spare hood latches laying around? The latch seems to be stuck. I know I am going to have to rig some kind of hood release bracket for the release cable because the original bracket is broken and I hate having to reach through the grill to get to the hood release. Lastly, anyone know where I can find an original grill? I'm not sure if I am going to go clean original or ratsun with this truck but I want to look at my options.

I honestly don't know, I just can't get it to open. When we got there he already had the hood popped. There is no tension or play in the lever at all, its like it is caught on something. As far as the release cable from the lever, I can tell the bracket is broken but the cable is still there just by feeling around.

Oh no, I know what is wrong with the release, its just that the bracket under the hood broke. The problem with opening the hood is that the latch itself seems stuck. The handle/level you pull/push/slide under the hood to lift it will not move. I have a feeling that something is blocking it or maybe the spring is broken.

I figured out the issue with my hood latch before I drove to work. The bracket that the latch locks on to is bent, so when I forced the hood release I had to press down on the hood to relieve the pressure on the latch then pull the latch up to raise the hood. Also, I took a look at the release cable and the bracket it was attched to was plastic. It has broken and now the release cable is just sitting there not attached to anything. I have a feeling that the cable was not installed correctly after the frame was painted so once I have more time I'm going to see if I can hook the cable up any other way. I will post pictures of the engine bay and the latch/release system tomorrow or, if it is light out, after work. Thanks for all the help so far, I'm sure I will have tons of questions during the overhaul.

Progress!

Ok, so kinda progress...

I have a list of what I need/want to do to this truck, hopefully all in the near future but it all depends on if I can get this truck to DD so that I can fix my civic and put this one on the top of my project list. Sadly the eclipse in the pictures above has to go. $350 a month + people that don't want to fix anything makes me a very angry customer.

Anyway, here is the list in some sort of approximate order, subject to changes/additions ofc :P

1. Brakes

• Spin Drums
  • New parts and shoes
  • replace bearings if needed (might do it just cause since I will be down there)
  • Check lines and other components under the hood.
  • Repair/replace parking brake

2. Engine

• Change all fluids (even crankcase, not sure when it was done last)
  • Replace all filters (breather is blown through so sure the others haven't been replaced)
  • Check plugs/wires
  • Rebuild the original carb in case the aftermarket one starts giving me trouble

3. Gauges

• Try to clean to see if they start working correctly
  • Replace if needed

4. Transmission

• Try to find upgrades based on highway driving
  • Possible upgrade to 5 speed

5. Electrical

• Look into possible higher output altenator (awesome write up in DIY section)
  • Look up wiring upgrades (relays and such for brighter lights ect)

6. Stereo

• Replace with media player from the civic
  • new speakers
  • new wiring
  • possible custom installation

7. Suspension

• 2 inch drop all around
  • shorter shocks or possible top cap modification
  • alignment
  • new bushings

8. Body

• Replace hood
  • Replace grille (thanks Adam)
  • Repair bed (remove bondo, fully restore with sheet)
  • Replace rear bumber with two piece bumber
  • Find original emblems
  • Paint entire truck

And I think that is everything. To clear up the gauge situation, my speedo only goes up to 38, gas gauge goes to 3/4s, and my temp never went above the second line from C to H. While I hope the temp gauge isn't lying (means the thermo is out and I don't have to replace that gauge) I know the others are messed up. They go down fine, but they only get to that point. Is it possible that since the previous owner only drove in town the speedo has gunked up and will not go above in town speeds?

Pretty long list but it should be a blast.

Is it wrong that I want to copy someone for my build? This is basicly the exact truck I want without the stretched tires and with a leather snap on tonneu cover. Also, I am thinking orange or a bright blue for the body.

521gtr_zps4f8d0196.jpg

Alright, as promised I have more pictures!

The first set were the good, so I guess this is the bad.

Dent fixed the wrong way on the bed.

SAM_0048.jpg

Closer look.

SAM_0047.jpg

Really bad paint under the hood.

SAM_0049.jpg

Crushed breather. Anyone know what carb this is? Half asleep atm but I can get more pics if needed.

SAM_0050.jpg

Bent latch bracket. Look real close and you can see the straight piece in the rectangle opening is bent almost vertical.

SAM_0051.jpg

Release wire not attached. Sorry for pbad pic but I'm taking pics on a camcorder (no camera :( ). If you look closely you can see that I am holding the end of the release cable.

SAM_0053.jpg

Edit, I just took a closer look at this pic. That plastic triangle piece to the right of the cable end is what it was attached to but it is broken.

And that is about it. We were supposed to start the brake teardown today but my step dad is dipping out on me. He is afraid of getting a little wet  and it is supposed to rain at some point some where within a 50 miles radius... What can I say, he is a wimp :P

Alright, as promised I have more pictures!

The first set were the good, so I guess this is the bad.

Dent fixed the wrong way on the bed.

SAM_0048.jpg

Closer look.

SAM_0047.jpg

Really bad paint under the hood.

SAM_0049.jpg

Crushed breather. Anyone know what carb this is? Half asleep atm but I can get more pics if needed.

SAM_0050.jpg

Bent latch bracket. Look real close and you can see the straight piece in the rectangle opening is bent almost vertical.

SAM_0051.jpg

Release wire not attached. Sorry for pbad pic but I'm taking pics on a camcorder (no camera :( ). If you look closely you can see that I am holding the end of the release cable.

SAM_0053.jpg

Edit, I just took a closer look at this pic. That plastic triangle piece to the right of the cable end is what it was attached to but it is broken.

And that is about it. We were supposed to start the brake teardown today but my step dad is dipping out on me. He is afraid of getting a little wet  and it is supposed to rain at some point some where within a 50 miles radius... What can I say, he is a wimp :P

Knock the bondo out and work the metal till its closer to correct then lay bondo to smooth it out, or weld in a patch panel if thats an option. I have a truck that can donate a patch panel if you can weld 

That poor engine bay, who puked blue ALL OVER it?   The carb looks like a hitchi stock carb but i could be wrong. Either way id ditch it and grab a webber 32/36

• Like 1

I may try to find a good panel, I would rather not have bondo on the truck at all. I know when done right it can look decent but I prefer the real deal. I will look more into the carb, I know the filter will be replaced this weekend so I will get a larger size for now. Hopefully I can find a decent weber on here, there was one up for 200 but needs a rebuild and I don't know anyone I trust to work on it.

Yea that blue has to go. The under body and frame has all been painted a light gray primer, so I may try to paint the bay the same. I have sourced a 5-speed that I may pick up next month, if so we can try to paint the bay when I pull the engine. I want to be able to see everything so pulling the engine to replace the tranny may seem strange, but if it lets me check all of the seal ect on the engine I think it will be worth it.

I am having a hell of a time trying to remove the gauges. Has anyone done a write up on this including pictures? I have seen plenty of detailed descriptions of the removal process but I really need pics if at all possible. If no write ups have been done, would one of you guys mind taking so quick pics of the areas where the screws/bolts need to be removed? I also have an aftermarket radio in it that I can't seem to remove and there isn't a lighter that I have seen, so many of the reference points in the descriptions are not there.

Mainly what I need is a few pics of where the screws/bolts are located. Or if someone could take a pic of a dash from the 620 and draw some arrows to where the bolts should be. Thanks for all the help and hopefully we can get this truck buttoned up nicely :)

MOAR! More pics for you guys, I think my gas pedel or bracket is bent to hell which was why I couldn't get above 65mph on flat road, let me know what youu guys think.

After pressing the gas, straight shot

SAM_0056.jpg

Side shot before pressing gas

SAM_0055.jpg

Please disregard any possible toe shots :P