Another head idea.. maybe?, just curious.

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Today, I was at Pull-a-Part in Parkland and came across a 620 with a Z20 installed in place of the L20B. I saw that the cam appeared to be larger than that of the L20b. Is this true? Does it have more lift than an L20b. Would it be possible to put a Z20 head on an L20b, are there any benefits in using this kind of setup, aside from the obvious separation of intake and exhaust manifolds? Just wondering if it would even work, as I am still a DatsuNoob. Thanks. Oh yeah, they had another one down there with the Buick V6 in it. I spoke with the yard guy, and he said it was a runner, so anyone planning on doing the swap, there are all the parts there to do it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L20B and Z20 blocks are essentially the same- the differences are too small to matter.

No, the Z20 doesn't have more lift in that sense. The cam differences are mainly due to different valve geometry. The Z20 in STOCK form flows about the same as a late L20B, but the L-series head can be modded for larger valves and bigger ports wheras the NAPS-Z is pretty much "what you get".

As a matter of fack I have plans to put a Z22S head on my L20B. Here's what I've found. The Z20 and Z22 heads are virtually the same in every dimension, however the Canadian Z20s had only 4 spark plugs the later Z22s are 8 plug. The chamber volumes are the same for the Z20E and the Z22S This is due to having flat top pistons. This head, Z20E/Z22S will give a compression some where in the low 7s if put on an L20B with the dished pistons and should be avoided or milled to reduce combustion chamber size. I'm going to figure out and have the Z22 head milled to produce an 8.5 compression and put this head and it's multi port EFI on my L20B.

BTW the valves in the Z and L heads are the same width.