My new 200SX

86 720

Just purchased this about 12 hours ago...

1978 200SX

Needs a new engine, and there's a small bit of body damage from PO due to a tire blow out on the driver's side rear.

Current plans are to throw a new heart in her, take off all the smog crap, list her as a classic and go running!

Unfortunately is doesn't have the coveted 5-speed dogleg, just an auto....

DSC04868_zps32527987.jpg

DSC04869_zps0d4ed944.jpg

DSC04870_zpsa4f5683b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, never noticed how "squared off" those wheelarches were on those......such a Japanese style of that era!!  Clean car, very cool. :thumbup:

Why don't you consider a cheap ZX 5 speed swap, while you're replacing the engine?  Maybe somebody on Ratsun has a manual pedal set in a narly old rusted out parts car out behind their house!  Shame that most of these cars were scrapped for the L20B & dogleg parts...................

• Like 1

Way cool! I keep losing track of how many 1st gen SX owners are on Ratsun now. Someone in AZ, I think fishhead on this page: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22319-200sxs-unite/page-5http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22319-200sxs-unite/page-5http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22319-200sxs-unite/page-5 may have ended up with a parts car. But don't know if it has a dogleg or pedals. You might PM him and check.

Len

Dove into the Datsun tonight. Man, what a mess that motor must have been. Gunk, grease, and crap over everything! PO stated the radiator hose blew off, I thought one of the hoses may have had a hole, but there was none. I didn't see a tear at the ends either. However the interior of the hoses were the cruddy brown/orange you see when the coolant hasn't been changed in a long time. I think the engine just overheated completely and cracked the block.

Anyway, here are some pics from my interior cleaning tonight:

Engine bay. I will def. take a good cleaning to this. The MC was leaking at one point, you can see where the fluid ate the paint. I'll take a look at that, prime it, and most likely paint the interior black. Don't know yet.
DSC04873_zps6c8dd8bd.jpg
DSC04882_zps2d9fdd8a.jpg

Trunk after everything was removed. Looks like they had some rust issues and tried to stop it. Unfortunately it had already eaten thru. Spare was meh.
DSC04874_zps128f09e2.jpg
DSC04875_zps9b14f02d.jpg

This will need to be replaced at some point. When I do, I might make it a subwoofer enclosure.
DSC04878_zps1f7a5251.jpg

Rear windows on both side are operational.
DSC04880_zps0088df11.jpg
DSC04879_zps4125f944.jpg

Everything out of the trunk.
DSC04890_zps37690f45.jpg

Interior is actually in really good condition. Unfortunately the PO put all the parts inside the car, kinda got things a little dirty, but that will wash out.
DSC04885_zpsbcbad2a8.jpg
DSC04883_zpsf0c0eb0e.jpg
DSC04887_zps7a2b813f.jpg
DSC04886_zpsb28b764d.jpg

i like the sick green interior.  also,   if you dont want to mess with the 1/4 panel damage, zg flares is a righteous option

mmmmm... something to think about...

I've already got a L20B from a 620 lined up. Came out of a 78 620 that was hit. Motor works well...

Does anyone know if there will be an oil pan issue, do I need to swap to a 510 oil pane, etc...

Same thing with the radiator. Not sure if mine is still useable, I need to take it in to the shop. Does anyone know if a 620/510/200SX are the same, mounting holes, etc.?

I think the engine just overheated completely and cracked the block.

If the engine was seriously overheated, first check the bottom surface of the head for flatness. Overheating will cause the aluminum head to warp more likely than a cracked block. Even though you have a different engine to stick in, your old one may still be good  to rebuild for someone else, or at least the block and crank. Keep it as a spare if you have a place to store it.

I suspect you should plan on swapping your 200SX pan and oil pickup onto the 620 L20b. I'm not completely sure of this though. Maybe it will be obvious looking at the two side by side that there is a difference. I don't remember if there is much clearance to to the crossmember on a 200SX. Maybe there is extra room and the 620 pan will be okay.

Rear windows on both side are operational.
DSC04880_zps0088df11.jpg

It is kind of hard to tell in the pic, but it looks like the flat rubber molding on the front edge of the rear quarter window is missing or broken off. This seals against wind noise when the door window closes against it. It slips up from the bottom into the chrome frame at the front of the quarter window (no need to remove the quarter window or anything). I measured mine and the rubber sticks forward from the chrome frame about 3/4" or more. When I got my SX the rubbers were broken off and I lived with wind noise right beside my ear for years. I finally got a good pair off a Pull n Save SX, and was amazed how much it quieted down the interior. There might be something else you could adapt for this. Maybe American 2-door hardtops have a rubber molding there that is available as a repro part. I never check with Nissan although I doubt the moldings are still available.

Len

• 1 month later...

Finally had the time to start cleaning the bay in anticipation of the transplant...

Granted it isn't spotless now, but it sure is a lot better than before!

Additionally in the middle of all this I happen to look up and see a gnarly accident happen right before my eyes. Thankfully no one was hurt, just a little shaken up.

Before:
DSC04978_zps3a6e8460.jpg
DSC04979_zpsc1116c77.jpg

After:
DSC04983_zpsd8382f10.jpg
DSC04984_zpsd3499324.jpg

next step, taking out the tranny!

• 2 years later...

Got to working on the 200SX again.

Since the PO took the motor out, and literally threw every bolt, nut and bracket on the backseat, putting it all back together is going to be fun. Started out by degreasing all the brackets, and half the bolts tonight. Was tedious, but everything looks so much better cleaned!

Next step will be to finish cleaning the rest of the bolts, than wire wheel them all, followed by cleaning the carb and intake manifold.

Baby steps...

Hasn't been a post in a while glad you updated thinking of buying one off a guy in SoCal, it needs body work but it's lowered and got wheels and fender flares.

Body parts are pretty much non-existing, as well as interior, so find a donor car. Oddly enough there are 2 others pretty close to me!  Everything else is basically a 510.

• Like 1

Body parts are pretty much non-existing, as well as interior, so find a donor car. Oddly enough there are 2 others pretty close to me!  Everything else is basically a 510.

I must be pretty lucky or something I've seen at least 4 online not too far from me. 1 is local to me basically like new 77 and wants $3500 it's automatic, another james (the510keeper) has a rolling shell for $1000 looks complete, 3rd one was I believe in the Row52 website I believe 78. The 4th I can't remember where I saw it but I'll have to look again. I'm so excited to get one I'm a sucker for the odd ball datsuns we don't see much hence why I own a 810 & Maxima, and since I've owned them I've seen them pop out little by little.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I must be pretty lucky or something I've seen at least 4 online not too far from me. 1 is local to me basically like new 77 and wants $3500 it's automatic, another james (the510keeper) has a rolling shell for $1000 looks complete, 3rd one was I believe in the Row52 website I believe 78. The 4th I can't remember where I saw it but I'll have to look again. I'm so excited to get one I'm a sucker for the odd ball datsuns we don't see much hence why I own a 810 & Maxima, and since I've owned them I've seen them pop out little by little.

I'd go for the rolling shell and get a 5 spd, unless that auto is in better condition.

• Like 1

I'd go for the rolling shell and get a 5 spd, unless that auto is in better condition.

This 200sx I'm getting is a daily driven I don't mind the auto as it's hard enough to find a 200sx as it is. I'll probably see if James would sell me the 5 speed and pedals.

• Like 1

A little more progress today. Changing the oil pan off the newer L20B and putting on a 200SX pan so it will miss the front cross over member and fit where it's supposed to go.

Flipped the motor over after draining the oil for a few days.

20150418_102508_zpscga4d7hg.jpg

Pan off. Should've cleaned it off first. Oh well. Some gunk on the oil pick-up.

20150418_103040_zps1yzkdhlc.jpg

Decided to put in the pick-up tube from the 200SX since I had already cleaned it.

20150418_104145_zpstsmzs0gn.jpg

• Like 1

More work!

Comparison of pans next to each other. 510 pan on the left 200SX pan on the right.
20150420_220905_zpsbb7nd5iz.jpg

Installed pick-up tube with new gasket, nice and shiny! Cleaned up the mating surface in preparation for the oil pan gasket and oil pan.
20150420_232401_zpsmsshldib.jpg

New gasket with slight RTV film.
20150420_232927_zpsdantx5op.jpg

Bolted on, torqued down and good to go!
20150420_235216_zpsp8inzeet.jpg

Since I was working late at night, I opted to remove the carb from my 510 to transplant into the 200SX and buy a new carb for the 510. However upon closer inspection of the carb in the 510, it was determined that it would just be better to keep it in the 510 with new gaskets and a thorough cleaning.
20150420_235246_zps4bcd4p32.jpg

Carb. From 510. This was an odd one, and they really got inventive on how they managed to put it in.
20150421_170539_zpsqqkh1lzx.jpg

New Carb. for 200SX, should be good for many, many miles of fun!
20150421_171735_zps9jf4dyju.jpg

20150421_171725_zpsayq84z6n.jpg

I'm not so sure about cork gasket for the pick up tube. It compresses a lot. Oil pans leak all the time but the pick up has to work at all times and is extremely critical. The ones I have removed were a thick 'paper' gasket. Like a cerial box. Saying to check into this before you instal the engine. Easy enough to go for something better if it's needed. I think it is but that's just me.