What should I look out for when buying a '73 620?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How tall are you?  I'm around 6'2", but I have really long legs so the standard cab would not have worked at all.

I'm 6'4 and drive a KC with a sport wheel. I originally had a reg cab longbed and could only drive it because it was Auto. If it had a clutch it would have been impossible for me to drive. 

• 1 year later...

This is old thread but regarding checking the oil, you forgot to check for gasoline dilution:

• rub the oil between your fingers and see if it "feels like oil"
  • smell the oil to detect gasoline

There seems to be a number of people that have encountered this problem so it is not uncommon - especially with old fuel pumps and alcohol in the gasoline.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I am going to look at a 1979 datsun pickup tonight and already I am super excited. Thanks for all the tips for what to look for. The guy said he had this one running last year but hasn't started it in a while. If i pick it up tonight i will take a pic or two. Hopefully by this weekend I can rent a trailer and get it home!

datsun1_zpssnmpwehf.jpg

hear you Hainz but it's been my practice to know what I am getting into.  A car can start but it can also be on its last leg. Knowing the condition of the engine can be a selling or bargaining point for either the seller ot buyer. :thumbup:

Made a deal for the Truck last night. $700. It cranks really good but not firing at all. The guy said he was not much of a mechanic so I didn't want to mess with it too much and get it running for him, lol. He had it registered last year and only drove it a few times. He parked it in his garage for the winter and then was injured so it just sat there until he needed the money. I think the carb is just really gunked up. He said it started the first time he tried but then quit.  I rented a trailer and will be bringing it home saturday. It's 2 hours drive away from me. It had a ton of new hoses fresh oil and filter and only one bad rust spot. He mentioned it had a transmission swap from the original 4 speed to a 5 speed too. I am looking forward to digging in this weekend and really getting some great pictures. 

mydatsun-small_zpsri5oft2h.jpg

I am still troubleshooting the starting issue but I have decided to start from the very beginning. I really don't know much about this truck to start with so instead of asking a ton of questions trying to get it going I am going to research a little and confirm what I have to work with. It seems to be a spark issue like others have mentioned in other posts but I need to confirm what parts this old truck has. Since its a 79 I think it should have the matchbox type distributor but before I dive in I need to confirm what engine is installed what year that is from and then I can troubleshoot based on what is installed not what I "think" is there. You all seem to have so much knowledge about these datsuns I feel lucky to have found this forum.  Thanks everyone.