Strut tubes shorten...

Been shortening a few strut tubes for coil overs and thought I would show what we do and how much.

We shorten the strut tube depening on which strut is being used. Then we tig weld the tubes together. A lot of guys stop there but we slide a piece of DOM tubing over the strut and weld agian to make sure its stronger than stock. We clean and paint the struts. We do not and will not remove or install them. We simply dont have the space to do it.

Price is $200.00 to for labor.

We are a ground control dealer and can help with coil over kits if needed.
425-222-0030

xmrinc.com

agagagg.jpg
co1_zpsb14a5c45.jpg
co2_zps16bcbc58.jpg
co3_zpsbe116381.jpg
agfag.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flatcat is always out of the loop... Ignore him.

I would have put this in the classified section as you're selling a service, but I don't think it's terribly important. I've seen you post around, you have a pretty good description up there, there's oics, and you have a price. All of those are rookies mistakes and you covered them all.

Work looks legit.

• Like 1

we slide a piece of DOM tubing over the strut and weld agian to make sure its stronger than stock.

Thats a good idea. just make sure the tube is below the rim line which Im sure you know alredy as the more + offset like a 510 strut and a +25mm rim it will almost hit the strut, and the perch has to be in the stock location otherwise the tire may hit the new PERCH. is its too LOW. Best of coarse to use 280ZX struts and run a +15 or Zero offset rim to have more room and run the perch lower to get the car lower. But I used a 7 in spring instead of a common 8 inch.

also I think you get MORE BUSSINESS if you just use a muffler pipe tube to run over and weld it , no paint, just remove paint where you need to weld. Let the owner reapaint them if he wants.

I think then charge 40$ a strut with the shock size,ok add a little more if welding a perch. But 100$ a strut I think Icehouse and frank in Everett can do these pretty EZ also for less money.

Let me first say, in no way am I trying to corner the strut market lol We just love working on car stuff after working on sleds for 6months straight and like to see people rides. Im sure there is guys that do it cheaper but to be honest by the time we degrease, blast, clean threads, set up jig, tig weld, paint and machine collars we just cant do it for less. Also with the chance of something breaking and putting someone life in danger we wont do them without using quality tubing and welding. Im 99% sure just our tig weld would hold but its just not worth the risk for making some beer money.

Where to cut the tube depends on a lot of factors. For one we like to "cut out" the part of the tube where the old perch was, this saves us from trying to grind down the old weld which is a pain and looks crappy. Next is how long of an adjustable spring perch you have, we have seen everything from 2in to 5in sleeves.

On this one we used the DOM tubing for the brace and also the sleeve perch, since clearance was tight on the wheel. You can see the perch is the same width as the sleeve taking

up little room.

th_co3_zpsbe116381.jpg

On the BMW 02 strut , the sleeves provided where bigger than the strut tube, so we used the DOM tube and slide the spring pearch provided fit over the brace.

th_agagagg.jpg

here is my beater getting stripped down,,,

1200.jpg

We also do some cage work, 4inks, offroad bumpers etc. We just love working on cool stuff and most the time custom fab pays less than an oil change but its way cooler! Here is some of our work..

th_Raptorairfilter.jpg

th_tnytroside.jpg

th_664871_4837929750192_160561302_o.jpg

th_324663_2533149892136_1355191522_32983

th_281327_2248672260373_1355191522_32675

th_30241_128463203842539_108250222530504

th_cushman.jpg