I want to rebuild the J13 in my 411

The engine is getting a little tired in my 411. It still runs decently but I want to either rebuild the J13 or swap something else in. I like the idea of keeping it original, but I've had a hard time finding the rebuild parts.

Does anyone here have a list of the individual parts and sources for a J rebuild?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks great! Interesting that you have a canister oil filter, I have a modern spin-on style.

If I do a rebuild I'll want to go all the way, all new pistons, rings, bearings, seals & gaskets, timing, cam, a full valve job with hardened seats. I guess I should start with tearing down the motor to see what condition it's in, but since it's still running I assume that it's decent, just tired and worn.

Were you able to find all of the gaskets and seals? Did you make any modifications? I was thinking about maybe trying to eek out a few extra HPs with a mildly reground cam.

Thanks for your help, it's good to know someone has done a recent rebuild on a J.

~Jesse

Rebuilding  a J13 can be done:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53116286@N07/sets/72157624963500879/

Make a list of the parts you need (including oversized pistions, rings, and bearings) and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Keith

Are J15s readily available?

An R16 would require punching a hole in the inner fender to run the exhaust through at least. I think the twin carb setup would fit. If I could find a whole R16 I would do it, but it's hard to find one that's complete and doesn't need a rebuild itself. I could also go with the Autin/MGB 1800 which I hear fits up pretty well, but it's the same thing with availablity on those.

I would even consider a more modern motor, I was hoping something like a Miata engine woiuld fit, but it doesn't, and the later Nissan engines require alot of mods to fit. Also, people always yell "Rotary!" at me, and as cool as rotary engines are, their mileage and reliability sucks. I also don't need big power in this car, so rebuilding the J seems like the easiet, cheapest thing to do. I'm sure I would get a bit of power back just from having full compression on all 4 cylinders.

its not a direct drop in^^^^

it would be easier to get a j15 and swap the 411 parts off the j13 

Jesse,

I purchased a complete gasket set on eBay.

Once I completed the teardown, I made a list of the parts I needed to go back to stock. (I looked into acquiring a J15 motor from a Datsun Forklift, however all the J15s I found were considered "rebuidable", with no warranty attached.) Since I had to do a rebuild, I decided to stay as original as possible.

Be advised, because no one vendor (or Nissan dealer) has all the parts for a rebuild, UPS charges added to the cost of the parts.

Keith

Are J15s readily available?

An R16 would require punching a hole in the inner fender to run the exhaust through at least. I think the twin carb setup would fit. If I could find a whole R16 I would do it, but it's hard to find one that's complete and doesn't need a rebuild itself. I could also go with the Autin/MGB 1800 which I hear fits up pretty well, but it's the same thing with availablity on those.

I would even consider a more modern motor, I was hoping something like a Miata engine woiuld fit, but it doesn't, and the later Nissan engines require alot of mods to fit. Also, people always yell "Rotary!" at me, and as cool as rotary engines are, their mileage and reliability sucks. I also don't need big power in this car, so rebuilding the J seems like the easiet, cheapest thing to do. I'm sure I would get a bit of power back just from having full compression on all 4 cylinders.

the oil pan would need to be modded on the r16, cant run the roadster pulley as it will be 3 inches into the radiator and the same with the water pump. like i said its not a straight drop in, oh the motor mounts on the actual crossmember are way different between r16 and j13/15

I found a vendor in Mexico that would sell a rebuilt J18 $1000, would deliver to the border. J18 used same stroke larger bore than the J 13, Datsun put them in the 510s in Mexico. I am meeting with an MG engine guy in Phoenix in a couple of weeks to talk over some ideas, he is doing A Datsun engine now, some common roots with the J engines and the MG engines. I've seen a photo on Ratsun of a 411 with a MG engine dropped in, may be an easy way to get displacement. MG parts seem to be easy through Moss Motors or Victoria British.

I also found several shops in the US that woud sell rebuilt Datsun fork truck short blocks or rebuilt engines J16 but on an exchange basis only and they didn't want a J 13 exchange.

• 1 year later...

Rebuilding  a J13 can be done:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53116286@N07/sets/72157624963500879/

Make a list of the parts you need (including oversized pistions, rings, and bearings) and I will try to point you in the right direction.

Keith

Hey Zed1

I have been searching high and low for oversize pistons for the J13. Its been a while but hoping that you are still on here

Jesse,

I purchased a complete gasket set on eBay.

Once I completed the teardown, I made a list of the parts I needed to go back to stock. (I looked into acquiring a J15 motor from a Datsun Forklift, however all the J15s I found were considered "rebuidable", with no warranty attached.) Since I had to do a rebuild, I decided to stay as original as possible.

Be advised, because no one vendor (or Nissan dealer) has all the parts for a rebuild, UPS charges added to the cost of the parts.

Keith

Very, very, far out possibility.  JCWhitney used to stock J13 rebuild kits [and on occasion rebuilt engines with your block in exchange], don't know if they know how to spell "J" anymore.  Semi-good news.  If you browse their site, and find what you need, don't buy right away.  Ask for a catalog.  Within a few days you will get an e-mail offering up to 20% off and free shipping!  Sure as hell beats UPS or even Greyhound.

The PO that rebuilt my J13 said that he used 'D16' pistons that are dished out a little.  I'm not sure what 'D16' pistons are, perhaps from a Honda?  If they have a similar bore, then that's probably it.

While we're on this subject, I had the valve cover off my J13 the other day to adjust valves, and I happened to find a small piece of thin crumpled up metal sitting between the #1 and #2 rocker on the flat part of the head.  Where the hell could that come from?  It was thin aluminum or tin, and I was just looking through your pics to see if I could figure out what part of the engine would have pieces of thin metal like that.  The two washers on each end of the rocker shaft were fine.  Should I be looking anywhere else?  I can't imagine there's anything like that on the bottom end, unless its a shim of some sort or a piece of metal that secures a bolt in place.  The truck still runs fine, though.

I've been saving up money in oder to do my J13 rebuild. The thing is, it's better to tear down the engine and have a look at everything before buying parts. That could make this a longer process since I might have to wait for some things pieces to become available. I hope to start the process in the next couple of months.

• Like 1

whatwouldjessedo, great suggestion.

After my J13 was torn down I was able to determine bearing, piston & ring, rocker arm, valve spring replacement requirements. It took me about 4 weeks to get all the parts. I ended up ordering a few extra J13 parts, since I was concerned that the reassembly would cause damage to old, brittle parts.

Keith