My Hitachi keeps flooding. HELP!

_chiefjt

So my hitachi carb on my '86 720 flooded. It's just dumping gas down the intake and the glass to check the float level is full. It was good for awhile but now it's messing up again. I adjusted the float a little just so my mom can run to the gas station real quick but it wouldn't start when she shut it off. She had to pedal it to start it. And yesterday I went to start it cause the float level was below that dot and it flooded again.

Any help to try and fix it.

If not then I guess I have no choice but to buy a 32/36 weber. Trying to save for other stuff for my truck.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting mixed messages- you say the float level is "full" then "below the dot".

When it's running, is the fuel level (not the float itself) visible in the window?  If it's too high, and adjusting doesn't change anything, then either the float is sunk (has a hole in it causing it to sink, which means the float has to be replaced) or the float VALVE isn't sealing.  That can be because the needle valve itself is bad, VERY badly adjusted, fell out, stuck, or the fuel return back to the tank is plugged (which causes the fuel pump to force fuel past the valve).

The sunk float is usually the cause- modern fuel plays havoc on floats, so they develop pinholes, fill with fuel, and sink.  Take the float out and shake it.  Hear fuel in it?  It's bad. 

Well I adjusted the float so that's why it was below the dot of the sight glass. I've already rebuilt the carb with carb dip cleaner and a rebuild kit. It did come with that new needle so I put that in. I rebuilt it about 3-4 months ago. I have the carb out but I'll test the float.

How would I test the fuel return line?

Okay figured. So I tested the float and it seems like its holding up. Put it in a sink full of water ad it stays afloat. I even held it under water for a few minutes and didn't hear any swishing in it so I think it's good. Now to test the fuel return line.

How would the fuel return line get plugged?

I have the carb out but I'll test the float.

While the carb is off check that the replacement needle valve is fitting correctly. If there is any dirt in there it won't allow the valve to close and gas will continue to pour in and it will flood even if your float is working. You might consider putting your old one back in if you don't find anything wrong.

If you have the carb off you can set the float drop. Remove the front cover with the round sight glass in it. Turn upside down and let the float dangle down against the fuel inlet valve and needle. The distance between the bottom of the float and the chamber should be 7.2mm or 0.283"... adjust the float lever until you get this measurement.

This should get your fuel level at the correct height.

Yes I have the spacer. When I put the float back in I pushed the float all the way up and half way going up it gets harder to push up like there's something holding it. It will still go all the way up but it takes more than floating to push it up.

Is this normal or is something holding it from going all the way up? Or is the float not supposed to go all the way up?

Could that be pressure built up form the needle going up and closing?

That is normal.

The float is not supposed to go all the way up. It is supposed to float about halfway, and the pressure you feel of closing the needle valve is balanced by the flotation. If your fuel pump pressure is too high (more than 3.6 psi) it will overload the needle valve.