Box flares on a 620...

makya

has anybody seen them? I saw some in an old issue of Truckin' It was a rear v8 engine 620, and had box flares on it. I'd LOVE to find some that would fit.

If not, does anyone still make box flares for the 510, and do you think they could be contoured to fit?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Makya,

I have 3 magazines with that black truck featured. I'll try to post photos later. He was running the SAME rear fenders that Your (and Mine) dually 620s have. He got them from California Stepside. That is what the article indicates. The powerplant for the truck (mid-engine) didn't allow for narrowing so He used the widest fenders available. Page 61 of Truckin' magazine March 1986 has all of the tech data. It was in Pickup, Van & 4WD as well as PHR Sept 1981 pages 60-61.

Do You still have Your dually???

steroid is that truck the one that has the olds 455 cu in motor, if so i met him in vegas in 84 he said the fenders were from cal step side, he also used 2 big 2" thick pcs of steel for counter balance in the eng bay/ trunk area, which is where the fuel cell and battery were located at, it was a very nicely done conversion, this was in 84 at the now gone tropicana hotel golf course, 1 of the early truckin nationals..:)

Here is the truck.....................

PUV4WD0582pg36.jpg

PUV4WD0582pg363.jpg

See how wide the rearend was? No other fender flare would have worked. Another cool vintage 620 that probibly got crushed.

that is the same truck, the owner at that time was really cool, saw it a couple times after vegas in 84, but then it kinda fell off the mini truckin scene. the flares u r talking about r on the front of the truck, they used to be sold by a place called bakersfield truck and van, way back in the 80's, alas they r no longer around, they always had adds in the older van and truck mags that steroid was talking about.

thanks for the info guys. That's the same truck I have in my old Truckin, mag.

Mike, I've still got the Dually. If I do sell it, I think it will only be to a select few with the time and money to fix it up right. I had reaally thought about selling it at one point, but my wife talked me out of it.

What I'd like to do is build up a std. cab shortbed lowered w/ box flares like a 510. I saw those front box flares and thought that would be perfect.

OOOOoooooooooohhhhh, The FRONT flares!!! Those also were sold by California Stepside. It was Their "California Sunshine" package. I would guess that He bought the whole set and the rearend was too wide so He went with those dually flares. From time to time You will see a California Sunshine 1/25th scale model on ebay. I have a few pictures but no time right now to post them. Look closely too at the front airdam that was interigal to the wider fenders. I haven't seen a California Sunshine truck in a LONG time although Bleach had photos of a prostock 620 with only the rear extensions on His gallery a while back. There was another 620 also but I don't have time to track it down in the gallery thread.