72 Datsun Wagon upgrade to KA-T

ShagWagon

Hey guys, just as a start if anyone knows where i can get a stainless steel or similar bolt kit for a KA24DE point me in the directions, I’m having trouble finding anything that still exists. Thanks... now on to the build.

So this is my Datsun. I've had it for about... 7 years now. I built most of it in the510keep's garage from the ground up after I rolled my truck. It runs great, has an L20B bored out 30 over, with a new cam and higher compression with SU's and MSD ignition and headers to a 2" pipe and magnaflow muffler. Drove it from one side of the country to the other and top to bottom pretty much. But I’ve never really had the opportunity to do the engine swap I wanted because it was my daily driver for the longest time.

mc2.jpg

20120327_180353_zps756983ed.jpg

20120327_180407_zps4e473334.jpg

I recently picked up a different car i use as my daily driver so it’s back to being a project again and I’ve pretty much gotten in over my head. But I’m not much for drowning so it'll be fun

I picked up a 93 KA24DE from a guy north of Seattle. Wasn’t the best buy as it turns out he had no idea how to rebuild an engine and really just slapped new gaskets and some paint on it and didn’t even bother to get the timing lined up. but for 600 dollars an someone who actually kept it long enough to sell it to me I wasn’t too disappointed.

KA24det_zps401a74f9.jpg

originally I wasn’t going to do a turbo, but once I got the engine home and really inspected it (note to self: inspect first *kicks in ass*) I knew it was gonna be a total rebuild and why not go Big. It wouldn’t turn over and most the stuff was just thrown on, gaskets were just tossed on without cleaning off the old gasket, bolts weren't tight. Once I took off the front cover I realized that two teeth off the crank gear had broken off and shot through the oil pump. no bueno!. and the timing was so off the pistons were hitting the valves.

So either this kid either had no clue what he was doing or... found what I had, threw it back together made it look pretty just to get a few bucks and get it off his hands... I’m going with both of those haha.

So after getting my wisdom teeth pulled and doped up on oxycodon, it was time to take the engine apart

P1020524_zps5ba72131.jpg

and... it’s everywhere. the tranny is under the tarp... and the clothes basket makes it easy to put in the back of my car and keep things clean

but right now this is the list of things I plan on doing with the motor. (** indicates I have/ * indicates in the works)

**Stage 2 Brian Crower Cams WPC treated

**Jim Wolf adjustable Cam Sprockets

**Brain Crower stainless steel valves

**Brain Crower valve sleeves

**dual spring valve springs w/ titanium spring caps

*ported head

*bored block 20 over

**supertech 8.6:1 compression pistons WPC treated

**eagle rods

*balanced crank

**ARP head and main bolts

**crometic head gasket

**tail waste gate

**el cheepo turbo (for now)

**GSXR 1300 Hayabusa throttle bodies

custom plenum for turbo'd ITB's w/ **velocity stacks

**stage 3 SPEC clutch

**(keeping stock flywheel for energy retention)

3" exhaust (suggestions?)

WPC treated **Oil pump

**Clevite bearings WPC treated

**Innovate air-fuel gauge

AEM true boost controller

**MS3X w/ map daddy 4 ECU

**LS2 coil packs

**Mega Squirt's KA24 trigger wheel

**15 gallon fuel cell

750cc fuel injectors (possible dual fuel injectors using Throttle body injectors...homework!!!)

Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator

Walbro fuel pump

and other stuff I might be forgetting to list

hayabusa TB's

20121010_162212_zps0ab7c764.jpg

cutting the manifold, had to cut it a little shorter after that

20121010_214146_zps3474c22b.jpg

throttle bodies attached

20121013_235741_zps4b859609.jpg

20121013_235812_zps467e7be3.jpg

Turbo w/ waste gate :)

20120918_120835_zpsba8a43bb.jpg

but given that, this is gonna be way to much engine for my semi stock rear end (rear disk brake setup) so while searching pick-n-pull I happened to stumble across this sweet jaguar rear end

20121006_145527_zpse018c18e.jpg

i remembered the hubs from this guys build i was looking though, thinking it would be an awesome swap

rsusp10_zpsbf544442.jpeg

and couldn’t not take the opportunity to grab it, walking away with the it for $150, a steal even if I never use it and just resell it and it was super simple to drop off the Jag, right now I’m in the works of rebuilding it so It’ll look something like this

rsusp8_zps55a7d3d0.jpeg

still a lot of work that needs to be done but ill post more pics when I finally get my motor back and start putting it together. I haven’t decided if I want to tackle the sub-frame for the rear end or not and I’m still reading up on how to even use the mega squirt. I know it has a lot of potential to do anything that id need to do with the set up I want to run I just need to figure out how.

My biggest issue right now is trying to figure out how to do Dual fuel injectors using the GSXR TB injector ports that kick in at a certain RPM or throttle position. I know it can be done but it’s gonna require some more homework but if anyone knows any directions to look by all means feel free to let me know. any input with info will help.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, for sure, Ive just seen a few people on other forums that put together a whole kit but it was a few years ago and they dont reply to anything. I was just trying to see if anyone has done the same thing around here and still had it going. other wise ill need to start doin my homework and find somewhere that has the right bolts but doesnt make you buy in bulk.

and thanks for the pic help, it took me a minute but i figured it out :-p

are you asking what engine will i be pulling out of it, or what kind of horse power the engine has? either way, its a built L20B that ill be pulling out of it when i do the swap... and im not sure the horse power, im pretty sure the rings could use replacing cause it smokes alittle now, but the fastest ive gotten it was 120mph measured with my tomtom's speedometer. I dont think it'd get to 110 right now but that probably has to do with my less then steller ability to tune my carbs too haha

Depending on where (or if) you actually live in WA, you could try hitting up a Tacoma Screw store (if you live near one) if you don't find a kit.  They have a great selection, and don't require bulk buys. 

yeah thats not to far, i live in dupont so its just down the road. Thanks for the info, ill have to check them out if i cant take the easy route

Just curious what block it was... are you interested in parting with it?

yeah man, but not till im ready to do the swap. night now i have no other way of moving it other then to drive it and i dont have my own shop or anything to store it in. but if your still interestedin in itby then, ill let you know when i get ready to pull it.

Sounds good. Im trying to build an LZ, but no luck on the Z22 block so far... this KAT should be a pretty fun fun build.

everythings harder to find lately then it was a few years ago, I'm trying to get ahold of some 200sx struts for the 5 lug conversion and i cant find a 87 200sx to save my like lol. but yeah it has been so far, just wish cope bro. would hurry up with my engine, they've had it for over a month, i understand the holidays and everything though, just sucks when you have most everything to start building the engine.. except the block and head.

successfully changed my back window today! awesome!. i had pretty much destroyed it about two months ago moving the KA motor, punched a hole in it but thankfully the tint kept it together. so i had duct tape covering the whole, in this pic you can kind of see the window is just tiny peices or glass being kept together.

oldbustedwindow_zpsc8e20206.jpg

and tahdaa! new window! made possible by the510keeper for hookin me up with a window when i was in cali for christmas

I used thick nylon string lubricated and a screw driver and had the window in in less the 30 mins. i was really surprised at how much

easier that was then the first time i put my back window in.

freshnewwindow_zpse6279804.jpg

Heres one of the brake assemblies i finished for the Jag. rear end

jagbrake_zps4b0157d4.jpg

then ive got some pics of my sweet harbor freight press i had to modify so i could press out the hub bearings

press_zpse2004b47.jpg

nothing a sawzall and some 12 inch bolts from home depot cant fix.

pressinghub_zps0e87260b.jpg

and this was my idea for my intake before i decided to go with ITB's... I was doing the calculations for the size of the plenum and stuff and this was about the size id want, its definately going to have more top end then initial take off though thats for sure. i might still do this if its just to responsive and un-drivable for street conditions with the turbo'd ITB's. or just work the throttle body in somewhere as a secondary system to keep the initial response smoother... so many possibilities... i really need the engine in the car to get a better idea of the room ill have to work with. these idea's could all be crap if i cant work em with the space available.

singleTBplenum2_zpse5114cea.jpg

singleTBplenumdesign_zps9cddd55c.jpg

fitting a q45 throttle positions sensor on the 90mm aftermarket Throttle body.

Q45throttlepositionsensorfitting_zps09c8

90mmthrottlebody_zps63578a03.jpg

Thats it for now. ill add some more pics as i go along, i took the other brake caliper apart today and its ready to be sand blasted and painted, then itll just be finishing the Hubs, and getting some ideas of control arm lengths i'll need for the rear end and possibly sub frame designes. suchs the sandblaster i use is only open on certain days. this would go alot faster

Wow!  Love the Jag rear axle!  THAT...is badass!  What year and model Jag did that come from? 

Also, (hope you don't mind the questions) what rear window seal is that?  Is it one without the stainless, or did you just not put the trim on? 

Thanks. and that's a very nice looking wagon!  It should be a rocket when you're done...

Wow!  Love the Jag rear axle!  THAT...is badass!  What year and model Jag did that come from? 

Also, (hope you don't mind the questions) what rear window seal is that?  Is it one without the stainless, or did you just not put the trim on? 

Thanks. and that's a very nice looking wagon!  It should be a rocket when you're done...

I second this... that rear end has my attention.

Got some more work done on the rear end. Still waiting for them to finish my motor, which is getting pretty rediculous. But here's some picks

Here's my brake booster. I got the booster off rockauto for $130, remanufatored and picked up the adapters for $20 from a friend. whole setup for $150, Not to shabby. I sanded out the adapters and painted them and cleaned the oil coating off the booster and painted it black. Brake boosters all ready to go in. I like the polished look of the adapters but I think the paint will hold up alot better in this wet weather.

20130105_111438_zpsc9bfcd55.jpg

Here's some of the parts my parts ready to be sand blasted.

20130105_124945_zps157487ce.jpg

goin to town in the blasting cabinet.

20130105_125003_zpsff6441aa.jpg

nothing like alittle in home painting.

20130106_025129_zps665931ff.jpg

The rear end i posted a picture of was what im aiming for once im done rebuilding mine, just and example picture. But when done mine will look like that but alittle different color sceme. Its out of a 1987 XJ6, the XJ12 look the same but has posi track rearend. would have loved to have gotten my hands on one of those but this was still an awesome steal.

Its the stock rear window seal, Ive just been reusing it since i first took it out to do paint. alittle easier the second time around since the window was shattered haha. But I'm pretty sure it had the stainless trim I just messed it up beyond repair trying to take it out so i never put it back in.

Thanks for the complaments. This place is a pretty good motivator to keep the project going strong

How much you want to sell that rear end for let me know.Nice build by the way i wish i had that much talent,good job.

Thanks, its been in the works for about 7 years, mostly because it became a daily driver and the project part of it went dead. but its hard to swap out an engine or something when you have to drive it to work the next day haha

And which rear end were you talking about. the jag or the current one under the car. I'm trying to swap the jag rearend into the wagon so its not for sale, sorry if thats what you were looking at. I will be selling the current rearend under the car though once im ready to do the swap. If you're interested let me know, I've seen stock rearends average about $150 and mine has the complete disk brake setup with 200sx calipers so id probably sell it for around $200.

• 8 months later...

So it's been a while. I haven't made a whole lot of progress. I got the bottom end completely together hanging out on my engine stand. I ran into a few issues with the head though. The camshaft caps aren't original to the head and they don't have proper clearance. So that put a halt on the project for a while and I just got done moving. But I have a car port with plenty of space to work on stuff now. I pretty much lost out on $600. I should have checked before i had it port and polished and the new valve guides installed. Maybe I can sell it to someone who can get it line board but I'm out of luck here in washington. The only close place that could line bore it lost there machinist. I was able to find a new head and I'm porting it myself this time. I tapped the old guides out myself and once I get the ports done I'll have it sent in to get decked with the timing cover then have new valve guides pressed in with a nice bath to clean it up. Then I can finally start putting everything together.

I'm bringing my wagon up to the shop in a few days so I can start pulling the engine and get the cross member flipped. I'm stealing a friends idea with swivel wheels mounted to the front end so I can push it around except I'll be using a 2x4 since I don't have extra cross members to weld shit too haha. I'm still on the hunt for either 200sx front suspension of 300zx hubs. This is proving to be very difficult if not just hopeless lol... I have the 300zx aluminum calipers already. If anyone knows where I can pick some up or has some they're willing to part with for a reasonable price please let me know. My other options are to find a whole new front suspension with 5 lug pattern or get 200s american racing wheels for the rear so it doesn't look completely tacky with a 5 rear 4 front bolt pattern lol.

I've also been looking into rack and pinion steering and it doesnt seem like to daunting of a task. I know the AE86 I believe it is has nearly the same cross member, is set up for a front sump engine and also has rack and pinion steering. I'll be looking more into this in the future.

I'll be posting pictures soon of my progress as soon as I upload them. But again, if anyone has some good connections on 5 lug front end equipment let me know. Oh and in getting the new head I scored a new distributor and front covers so I'm n longer hurting for cover bolts. I might post bolt sizes soon with pictures in case anyone else is interested in putting together their own bolt kit to clean up the engine. That's all I've got for now.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Got the engine pulled a few months back its just sitting on a pallet in my shop. Doing head work on the KA right now but not much has happened in the last few months mostly due to work and it being cold... I'm def a "work on my car in the summer" kinda guy lol.

I have the cross member pulled right now and was wondering if anyone here has a good contact for someone that can flip it. It doesn't have to be a professional as long as the person doing it isnt doing it as a test run because they read how to do it and have the tools lol. So basically anyone that's successfully done it well before. I live in Roy WA but wouldn't mind driving an hour out of my way. I can prep it as needed I just don't have the tools to weld it.

• 6 months later...

I got the engine pulled out of my car and ready to part with it. I wanted to keep it around so I could possibly put it in something else... but lets be real. I just need to get it off my hands

I had the engine rebuild in 2008. I had the block bored 30 over. I cant remember if the head was ported as well but I know it has an after market cam in it. this was a while ago so I can't remember all the specs but at a low idle it definitely has a lop to it. sounds like a V8 until you rev it up. It smokes a little but it runs great. has SU carbs and headers. The transmission is off of a 280zx. This thing has been from California to Texas and on to Georgia then down to Florida, back to Georgia while I lived there for a year, then to Arizona, up to Cali again, up to Washington, back to Cali, then back up to Washington where I bought a different car for a daily diver... and its never broke down on me.

If you're interested I'm asking $900 for everything you see. I'm willing to budge a little but with the headers, carbs and transmission you're already looking at over $500 worth of parts.

I'll link a video of it running before I pulled it when this will let me paste things. Which with that being said... can anyone tell me why this wont let me paste text... I've tried CTRL V and even tried pasting it in word so I could use the clip board tab up top... no luck...

If you're interested at all let me know and I'll PM you with a link to the video  of it running and pictures of it out of the car.

I did the cross member flip today. It came out pretty good in my opinion... welding skills aren't the greatest but nothing a grinder cant make look pretty. I capped the ends of the engine mounts so it looks cleaner... spray painted it to prevent it from rusting until I can sand blast it and get it painted right.

I need to finish the 5 lug upgrade but for now I think ill just keep it 4 and get the engine in the car so I can start working on the turbo position and custom intake for the ITB's. I feel like this engine swap is finally getting somewhere.

but on a real note... how do I post pictures now?