Turbo L20

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

It's not the turbo that has to be custom made. You can make almost any turbo work, it's the adaptation of the turbo to the manifold that's the issue. Depending on the setup you plan to use determines how easy or hard it would be to make. A TDO3 or TDO4 from any stock Mitsubishi eclipse or Eagle Talon would be easy to find and ideal to use. Easy to rebuild, parts are readily available. If it were me, I'd look into a supercharger though. Traditionally more carb friendly, and generally more efficient on both fuel consumption and less wasted power in my opinion. If you really want to use a turbo, think about setting up a fuel injection system and a low comp. motor built that'll handle what you wanna throw at it 1st.

Hmm, I'd have to say the oposite. A supercharger is belt driven all the time weather you're 'into it' or not, where as the turbo is driven by down stream exhaust and not mechanically connected to the motor. When not in use it just idles away. The turbo also uses wasted exhaust energy that just gets dumped out the tail pipe. The s/c uses power from the motor just like any belt driven accessory like an alternator, only a LOT more. For example a s/c may produce 75 extra hp but require 20 hp to turn it... net gain 55 hp.

The s/c has one BIG difference... when you step on it it produces power instantly at any RPM. The turbo relys on exhaust flow which is lacking at lower RPMs.

The turbo (I think) lends itself better for use with an inter-cooler before going to a carb box blow through, or EFI. A s/c is usually a draw through and isn't inter-cooled. Just an opinion.

Any one know if there was ever a turbo made for the L20. Or where I could get one made?????

Crown manufacturing made a kit back in the 70's that bolted a t-3 to the stock exhaust manifold. Getting hard to find and is limited in its HP production because of it being a draw through system. EFI and intercooling is definately the way to go but again the parts are hard to find. I had to build everything for my setup from intake to exhaust manifold. Heres a pic.

coil002.jpg

I am also a turbo over S/C guy. Mike is correct in saying that superchargers "take power to make power." Turbo lag can be almost elimited by matching the turbo to your motor. I am using a GT28r Garrett and there is no real noticeable "lag" time. Its fully boosting at 14 psi by 2500 rpm and holds it to redline.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're all proud of Fineline's homemade abilities.

If you want EFI for your Z24 take a look at the Z20E and Z22E motors used in the '80-'83 200sx (S11) cars. That manifold will bolt to the Z24. Hell, the whole system will work on it with some effort.

• 2 weeks later...
Crown manufacturing made a kit back in the 70's that bolted a t-3 to the stock exhaust manifold. Getting hard to find and is limited in its HP production because of it being a draw through system. EFI and intercooling is definately the way to go but again the parts are hard to find. I had to build everything for my setup from intake to exhaust manifold. Heres a pic.

coil002.jpg

That's Very NICE!