Soon-to-be New Datsun Owner; Midwest.

Hi everyone, my name's Burton, and I've been lurking on this forum for about 6 months.

I work at a Ford dealership here in Kansas, and every once in awhile a man comes to pick up our used tires.  He drives an older, probably late 70's, 620.  From what I can tell, anyway.  He came up to me the other day and told me he was finally interested in selling it.  He has a hard time speaking english, from India I belive, and tried telling me he has 3 other motors, 3 other 4 or 5 speeds, and an entire other parts truck to go with it.  I'm thinking about offering him cash for running truck, one motor/trans, and parts off of other truck. 

I've seen him hauling probably half a ton of tires in this little old truck, way over the cab.  Said the motor was a "Japanese import rebuild" or somethingarather. 

Long story short, going to look at it tomorrow and talk to him about a price.  What are things to look at?  I know it's going to be beat up, it was just a work truck.  Rusty rockers?  Rusty floors?  Cab mounts? 

It's great to meet you guys, and I PROMISE I will have pictures for you guys when I go and look at it.  Lots of them. Thanks for the help!

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section. :S)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suspension mounts and frame rust are always my worries as far as the body goes. He daily hauls with it so it must be in a decent state motor wise. Rings are probably worn I would think, as well as trans and rear end. But you never know, it might be 100% mechanically sound (doubt it though). It's tough to tell you what to look for without seeing it.

Honestly if it doesn't have a lot of rust, and it runs, drives and stops, it would be a good buy depending on price. I paid $1000 for my 70 521 with minimal rust (only rust is at the bottom of the doors and a pinhole in the edge of the roof) a running motor, good trans, and a whole extra rear end from the cab back.

• Like 1
Suspension mounts and frame rust are always my worries as far as the body goes. He daily hauls with it so it must be in a decent state motor wise. Rings are probably worn I would think, as well as trans and rear end. But you never know, it might be 100% mechanically sound (doubt it though). It's tough to tell you what to look for without seeing it. Honestly if it doesn't have a lot of rust, and it runs, drives and stops, it would be a good buy depending on price. I paid $1000 for my 70 521 with minimal rust (only rust is at the bottom of the doors and a pinhole in the edge of the roof) a running motor, good trans, and a whole extra rear end from the cab back.

Yes, I'm hoping to work out a pretty good deal with him.  If I could get the stuff I aforementioned, I would love to have spent less than $1000 dollars on it, leaving my tax return to get it up to par.

I was really worried about not being able to find parts for it, seeing as there is hardly no Datsuns here, let alone 620's.  Our scrapyards are slowly going away aswell.  But, with this parts truck he has, I feel much more confident in this purchase. And if I can't replace it/fix it, I'll just remake it or find a suitable replacement from a Ford or Nissan.

I appreciate your input, too.  Still using the hell out of the search bar in how to lower it. 

I read the write up on lowering it, and the torsion bars.  I'm not TOO sure on that all works.  If I lower the rear end 3", with blocks, should I cut the springs/replace with shorter ones in the front?  Thanks!

Before lowering it, get it.

If you have room, considering the availability of Datsuns in Kansas, I would get all of his Datsun stuff.  Stuff you cannot use, or do not want, offer to sell here, this forum.  If you have to, sell what you cannot keep for scrap.

What do you do at the Ford dealership?  If you are a mechanic, can you look it over, on a day off, with bosses permission?

If you are not a mechanic, sweet talk one of the mechanics to do it with, or for you?

Many years ago, I got a Japanese domestic L-18 engine to replace a worn out L-16 in my 521.  It was a Fuel Injected L-18.  I was an idiot back then, and just sold the L-18 fuel injection stuff for scrap, and put an L-16 carburetor, and manifold on the engine.  Ask if he has any engine parts left over from the JDM engine that was put in the truck.

• Like 1
Before lowering it, get it.

If you have room, considering the availability of Datsuns in Kansas, I would get all of his Datsun stuff.  Stuff you cannot use, or do not want, offer to sell here, this forum.  If you have to, sell what you cannot keep for scrap.

What do you do at the Ford dealership?  If you are a mechanic, can you look it over, on a day off, with bosses permission?

If you are not a mechanic, sweet talk one of the mechanics to do it with, or for you?

Many years ago, I got a Japanese domestic L-18 engine to replace a worn out L-16 in my 521.  It was a Fuel Injected L-18.  I was an idiot back then, and just sold the L-18 fuel injection stuff for scrap, and put an L-16 carburetor, and manifold on the engine.  Ask if he has any engine parts left over from the JDM engine that was put in the truck.

Very good point, probably getting ahead of myself.  I'm going to try to work out a deal to get both the trucks, and try to get it parted out asap and let him sell the rest of that parts truck.  I'm in an apartment, and we only have small 1 car garages available, so storage would be iffy.  Unless I can store it at my father's place, then I'd be able to keep it all. 

My intention with the other motor/trans would be to sell it, and try to save up for a KA24 swap.  I have very big plans for this truck, on a very small budget.

I was a mechanic for a few months, but I now currently sell parts.  I'm working on becoming a mechanic again, getting all the Ford tests done.  So, getting it into the shop would be a piece of cake.  That's where a lot of the work would be done.

Thanks for the input, DanielC! :thumbup: I'm really appreciating the feedback I'm getting, really enjoy the community here!

Annnd,

Moderate 2-3 Inch Drop

Front

Re-Index Torsion Bar 1 Tooth Off And Run Pinto KYBs

Rear

4X4 Leaf Springs And Monroe Self Leveling Shocks

After That Have The Front End Aligned And Set The Pinion Angle

I have found my answer.  Thank you, search bar!

"Japanese Import Rebuild" used to mean that the original engine was over 50,000 KM [30,000 miles] and the Japanese exporter had it rebuilt prior to export to the USA.  In Japan, over 30K miles is considered very high mileage and a 10 year old car cannot be given away due to onerous annual inspection standards that come into effect at 10 years.

If you can find a place to store everything, keep what you can until you are finished with your build.  You never know what you will need down the line, or what usually happens is your plans for the vehicle change and you end up needing the parts you once had.  Worse case; strip the parts truck of everything that unbolts, cut off all the metal you will need (cut wide, in case you find the rust is more extensive than you thought), and then rent a 10'x10' storage unit for a few months until you have the project under control.  As far as parts go, there seems to be a decent amount of small parts for 620's that come up for sale on the forum, but if you get all the guy's parts, chances are you won't need too much other than what you will need for your mods.

Kyle

I'm confused... Looking at your other post, the truck is a 521.  Does he also have a 620, or is there an error somewhere?

There was an error.  He didn't specify the model he had before I saw, just said 70's datsun.  :confused:

If you can find a place to store everything, keep what you can until you are finished with your build.  You never know what you will need down the line, or what usually happens is your plans for the vehicle change and you end up needing the parts you once had.  Worse case; strip the parts truck of everything that unbolts, cut off all the metal you will need (cut wide, in case you find the rust is more extensive than you thought), and then rent a 10'x10' storage unit for a few months until you have the project under control.  As far as parts go, there seems to be a decent amount of small parts for 620's that come up for sale on the forum, but if you get all the guy's parts, chances are you won't need too much other than what you will need for your mods.

Kyle

Yes, I would love to keep everything he has for spares, but it does not look like it will happen.  He's wanting way too much than I can afford for the rest of stuff.  Going to throw in some stuff with the truck alone, like a fender, driver's door, heater core/misc heater stuff, spare engine doo-dads, etc.  So, I think I will be able to get by with that.