320 with an SR20DET

andys320

hi guys i recently bought a 65 320 and im attempting to put a sr20 in it now im havng problems with finding a diff thats very close to the standard size diff as i belive the standard diff may not be up for the job and i dont want to cut a diff down because it wont be as strong as standard ie. case hardening on the splines and so forth has anyone got any tips 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys i recently bought a 65 320 and im attempting to put a sr20 in it now im havng problems with finding a diff thats very close to the standard size diff as i belive the standard diff may not be up for the job and i dont want to cut a diff down because it wont be as strong as standard ie. case hardening on the splines and so forth has anyone got any tips 

We have a guy over here that drag races with the diff your truck came with stock, which were 488s.

If you want better gearing, just use any H190 unit as ggzilla mentioned above out of the 521/620/720 trucks.

Here is a link to the drag race guy, EricJB.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/39329-project-drag-521/

I have a sr in my 620 with h190,  It has help up over many many miles so far.  And I have layed some rubber as well.    you underestimate the engineering in the vehicles.  What other company makes bullet proof engines like datsun did?   forged crank and rods from the factory!!!   

You are talking about street tires and normal driving. For drag racing, you put more tire to the ground, then it's not useless.

3000 RPM @ 60 mph is just right for an L16 engine. The engine will just be starting its torque curve, for easy and effortless passing. Except with a 320 stock engine, then 3000 RPM is not enough.

So it all depends!

thanks guys the diff looked quiet small and i wasnt sure how strong it would be, i seen the 6 stud and though its got to be decent but the i thought it might be because the GVM but ill run it till it dies, if it does, id love to put a pic up to show you but im on a work computer so it wont let me, but when i get home i will, it looks awsome, iv been looking around on the net for a 320 with an sr20 but havnt had any luck

im at the stage of removing my column shift and fitting a collapsable column, now im going to have to cut down the original steering shaft and machine a flat edge in it and bolt a steering uni joint on the machined shaft then chuck a colapsable section in and marry up to the original top half of the steering or can anyone think of another steering box that will bolt straight in thats roughly the same size with a colapsable shaft.

any tips are most appreciated

im at the stage of removing my column shift and fitting a collapsable column, now im going to have to cut down the original steering shaft and machine a flat edge in it and bolt a steering uni joint on the machined shaft then chuck a colapsable section in and marry up to the original top half of the steering or can anyone think of another steering box that will bolt straight in thats roughly the same size with a colapsable shaft.

any tips are most appreciated

You have a couple avenues to go, I am not saying any one way is easier than an other.

You can cut the column as you described above and make a connection, this will work if you have fabrication skills and is likely the easiest route.

You can make a custom center link with a tie rod connection on the passenger side, buy another idler arm for a 521 and put it where your steering box is mounted now and connect all the tie rods to it, now you have a complete steering system with no way to steer it, but you do have a tie rod connection in the center link, now what I did was use a 720 power steering box, I mounted it as far forward as I could on the outside of the frame rail, one of the steering gear bolts was shared by the idler arm and steering gear, then I used the stock center link to make the connection to the custom center link, I did have to have the 720 pitman arm tie rod connection re-tapered from the bottom to clear the idler arm and mount it from the bottom up.

This is what I did to have power steering on my 521 work truck, the only issue I have ever had is that you have to make a real strong mount for the steering gear, as it tends to stress the frame.

DSCN0629.jpg

DSCN0628.jpg

DSCN0634.jpg

100_0155.jpg

100_0154.jpg

The other route that can be used is to take a 720 front frame clip and narrow it to the 320 track width, and weld it to the 320 frame, you can get power steering or not, and front disc brakes this route, and be able to buy replacement parts except for the custom 720 steering center link assembly which will also need to be narrowed, this has been done already, here is the link.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34698-320-balljoint-conversion/

holly sh#t duel wheels and trailer ????

Oh yes, and yes, a trailer to, which has 2 complete pressure washing systems inside of it.

There is a ton on the truck, and a ton in the trailer in these photos, I made a material run that day.

DSCN0874.jpg

And it can haul real weight.

DSCN0393.jpg

This truck has been in the making since I bought it back in 1995, it is nothing but a combination of junkyard parts, other peoples failed attempts at upgrades, and stuff I put together to make it more user friendly, it's not perfect, but it works for me.

This is what I towed home a couple days ago with it.

DSCN0597.jpg

Everything I have done to this 521 truck frame can be done to a 320 truck frame, as this is sitting on a 521 frame which is just a little wider than a 320 frame, all the rest of my 520/521 trucks are sitting on 720 frames, but the 320 has a narrower frame, so it's not as easy to do, as the frame will need narrowed about 3 or 4 inches.

• Like 1
would he possibly have one for sale ??

He likes chevys, this is one of them.

PICS16.jpg

The only guy I can recall near you, which is not near you at all lives in Canberra, NSW.

His name is Zeke, you should get a hold of him on here, he does car shows all up and down your east coast, here is a link to one of his threads.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/50185-smaaaall-update-on-shanks-u320/