A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Driveshaft? An automatic driveshaft may work. Check into it.

Maybe. You have an auto or standard. If standard your driveshaft is going to be too long no matter what 5 speed you put in it. I believe the A10 automatic is 31.5" long so an auto driveshaft will be shorter than your 4 speed one. As the D21 pictured is 30.75" that's only 3/4" shorter than perfect. I'm saying that D-21 5 speed with an A10 auto driveshaft should fit or be very close.

I assume you have the 4 speed? It's 26.5" long.

I assume the same car but with a 3N71B automatic is 31.5" long. Most L series auto are.

Same car but two different length driveshafts.

That D21 5 speed is supposedly is 30.75" long which is only 0.75" shorter than the A10 automatic.  Thus an A10 automatic driveshaft should be very close to a good fit. This is what I did on my 710. The 4 speed is 26.5 and the auto is 31.5. I swapped a 31.5" FS5W71B 5 speed in and used the shorter automatic driveshaft. Perfect fit.

4 speed..................................driveshaft.......................differential

3 speed automatic.................driveshaft.......................differential

FS5W71C 5 spd  ..................driveshaft.......................differential (barely 0.75" short)

Zach, considering I've done this exact swap..... Don't worry... I've got you covered. I can help in every way possible. I have templates for the cross member for use with the 240sx 5 speed (FS5W71C)

And shortening a driveshaft would be the best way to do it. I agree with Datzenmike where the auto driveline is very close, but 3/4 of an inch, or (23.6mm for those in Canada  :poke:   :rofl: ) might be all the difference in causing a nasty vibration and eventually causing your tranny to blow. Please, ask me how I know..................

Anywhoo, don't be intimidated by this project. It's extremely simple. I did this all by myself with only the drive shaft being made and a few questions answered here on Ratsun.

• Like 2

A10 front engine crossmember? Should be the same, L or Z series engine. It's the engine brackets that bolt to the rubber mounts on the crossmember that hold the engine in the correct L or Z series tilt.

I can confirm they are identical. Had both side by side. Just the engine brackets are different. 

Terminology error here....

If L is slanted to the right (passenger side) due to the brackets. The horns on the xmember are identical. Infact, crossmembers are identical between the Z and L series A10s.