A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, the PO really took care of the car. You rarely see that anymore. Unfortunately for her, the headgasket went out, and her mechanic quoted her $2K. I gave her an offer on the car, towed it home, and a headgasket, beer and a two weekends later, it was back on the road.

• 2 weeks later...
US/Canada got different 78-79 grilles than the rest of the world.  The square 80-81 ones were all the same, with the rare exception of the 2-headlight version.  There were a few odd rare ones, as the A10 was built past 1981 in a couple markets like South Africa.  Supposedly the A10 had an '82 model year in Australia.

The one (well, 2) parts I badly, badly want to find are the rear taillights from a '80-81 3-door Coupe.  The US got the 3-door only in 78-79, then a 5-door Hatchback for 80-81.  The taillights changed at the same time as the headlights (except the Wagon which kept the same tails) and finding those 3-door 80-81 taillights has been a mission for me for 20 years.  Have never seen a set in person even when overseas (only saw a couple 140Js in Egypt and all were 4-door sedans).

aw shit, datsunaholic. you mean like this:

IMG_0604.jpg

'cuz this was mine for about 9 months 2 years ago. Should have parted it out (rust bucket) but it ran well so I sold it for $800. IF I would have parted it out, you could have fullfilled your 20 year neverending quest for those tail lights.  :)

I think I see...

got any better pics for comparison?

That was a 80 A10 3 door, but I think I understand the difference. So: fail. I get it. 

But I would still like a better pix for side by side.

There were no '80 3-doors in North America.  For the '80 model year they went to the 5-door, with the NAPS-Z engine.  That green one has the '78-79 taillights and the 78-79 bumper, and a '78 rear badge (79 had "By Nissan" on it).  Lots of things changed for '80:  Engine, grille, bumpers, dash, interior/exterior colors.  I have lots of the '78-79 type taillights, since I own 2 of them, have parted out a 3rd, and have another spare set to boot. 

I understand the whole "YYY1 model year was registered in YYY2 so it's a YYY2" thing since I owned a '65 320 that was titled and insured as a '66. ;-)

But my '80 Datsun 510 A10 was a 1980 3 door with a z20s and automatic. (Never could tell if it was 3 speed or 4 speed, cuz I think it had gearbox problems.) I didn't own it long. But I didn't mean to start any argument I would still like to see the difference in tail lights 'cuz I has a 79 A10 and might be chasing that same proverbial rainbow. :-D

Well, all I can say is that in 23 years of owning A10s and scouring parts form junkyards for them, I've never seen a 1980 3-door.  Not a single one.  I've never seen a 3-door with a NAPS-Z.  All were L20Bs. 

Every 1980 I've ever seen has bumper pushers like this:

80_510.jpg

This was a VERY early model 1980- built in 1979.  So early that it did not have the 17-digit VIN which was common on most 1980+ model year 510s.  All my '81s have had the long 17-digit VIN staring with JN1.....  This one,  all the data tags and ID plates had the chassis serial number HLA10xxxxxx

I've owned A10s since 1990.  I've seen just about ever configuration out there.  I have NEVER seen a 1980 3-door.  I HAVE seen cars with switched parts, though.  Hell, my '78 shell I was going to put all the '81 running gear and as much of the interior as possible, but leave the round headlights because I really don't like the square ones.  The stalling point was that I also wanted to ditch the brown interior, but EVERY freaking 3-door donor I've had was brown, and the junkyard ones that weren't brown, the black dash cap was utterly destroyed.  They only made 3-door interiors in Brown, Black, and Green, with green being somewhat rare.  1980 added blue and removed green, with blue and beige being the most common (black in a 80-81 was VERY rare) but there aren't any blue 3-door interiors.

If I could find the emoticon that bows down to both of your superior knowledge, I'd post that here. Where's the "I surrender" emoticon?

Lol!

Now, how about some really good pix of what datsunaholic has been chasing for 20 years?

I mean the tail lights, not "tail". ;-)

Posted from my iPad, hence the lame emoticons and my inability to use them effectively.

I'm not saying it's impossible... just, well, they didn't officially make them.  But Australia has an odd example of getting weird equipment.  A while ago I read a story of how KPA10s ended up "Down Under".  Australian Datsuns back in the late 70s/80s were shipped as CKD (Complete KnockDown) kits.  Japan built the cars, but they didn't go through final assembly.  That was done in Australia.  It was a tax evasion scheme- if assembly was done in the target market, they avoided tariffs or import taxes and only paid taxes on "car parts".  (Same thing happened with light trucks here in the US to avoid the "Chicken Tax" until the loophole was closed in 1980, though it was only the bed that wasn't installed until it got here). Now, Australia only got 4-door A10 sedans.  However, a shipment of KPA10 Coupe CKD kits, destined for South Africa, somehow got delivered to Australia.  Rather than spend the money to reload the shipment onto another ship or waste the material by scrapping them (which is what would normally happen today) they simply assembled them and sold them in Australia.  I can't find the link, but I recall there were less than 50 of them.   Made for a very rare car.  But these weren't 80+ model year cars. 

http://www.ratdat.com/?page_id=18

Look at the 1980 UK and French brochures, and compare with the 1979 UK brochure which shows the same taillights as the US model.  The 1980 ones are the same as the silver one in post #122.

The 5-door hatchback in the US used different taillights that had a slight wraparound over the rear corners, so they won't work in a 3-door.  The 1981 Mexican "180J Samurai"  brochure shows the 5-door taillights.