• Please log in to reply
3989 replies to this topic

#3981 chevtruknut

chevtruknut

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cars:1978 Datsun 510 2d HB, 1997 BMW Z3 ( Euro Spec)

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Looks good, feels good to be seeing progress doesn't it
Brad Warren
Auto Tech Instructor- High School
Live in Groesbeck, Texas

#3982 Dmb3sge

Dmb3sge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cars:Datsun stanza 81

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:47 AM

Nice to see someone who has one tore down all the way also. ( Almost as far as mine!) It's exciting to actually be getting something done in mine this school year. Next step is building a dash for it. The Datsun dash was just a bit too blah..hate to customize such an unusual vehicle but I used to tell my customers, it's yours do what makes you feel good with it. Also looking for a good aftermarket A/C if any suggestions. Mine had factory air, but it's very bulky if you've seen it.

well I dunno what I`m gonna do with the AC but you should have more options than me since you live in the US , I probably end up adapting something from a nissan sentra or something if my wallet lets me I just have the pump cuz it came with motor :thumbup: I`m definitely keeping my dash I dunno if I like it cuz I`m used to seen it since I was a kid but I like it ! I was talking with the bodyshop`s owner about putting some Stinger ( similar to dynamat ) IN the firewall but not inside the cabin but IN the engine bay and he was like no waaaay you are goona ruin the look and the beautiful job that I`m gonna do lol now I´m having second thoughts lol  

A10 Stanza Wagon + 3sge Blacktop 6MT  follow the build : https://www.facebook.com/Dmb3sge 

#3983 flatcat19

flatcat19

Back in Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,718 posts
  • Cars:Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

Why wouldn't you line the inside of the firewall?

And why would you put dynamat IN the engine bay?

You can't hang if your nuts haven't dropped...it's physics

#3984 chevtruknut

chevtruknut

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Definitely only on inside, but dunno mat is WELL worth it for noise
Brad Warren
Live in Groesbeck, Texas

#3985 chevtruknut

chevtruknut

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Oops dyno...spell check
Brad Warren
Live in Groesbeck, Texas

#3986 chevtruknut

chevtruknut

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:41 AM

On the AC issue. I am looking at aftermarket companies mainly because theirs are much more compact and use modern R 134a. ( My "dealer installed one" has a bracket fabbed from 1/4" steel!). There are several, and if anyone has any recommendations please let me know. I am also a bit sentimental about the old dash, but also like modern stuff monitoring my engine rather than just " idiot lights" and gauges mounted elsewhere. Guys, I really appreciate the fact others are working on their projects and the encouragement helps sometimes. It will often seem like it one step forward, two steps back...which is normal for project cars...but keep up the updates. I'll try to get some project update pics posted in the next few weeks. Been a RPUGH start to the school year. The students have no interest in cars, as only three of mine drive one ( and I think two of those are illegal). Have a great weekend folks. Brad
Brad Warren
Live in Groesbeck, Texas

#3987 Dmb3sge

Dmb3sge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

Why wouldn't you line the inside of the firewall?

And why would you put dynamat IN the engine bay?

sorry my grammar is a bit rusted,well I saw this :

1072107d1365656978-introducing-everest-m

and I thought that it would be a great way to put it like that in order to gain heat insulation. For some reason I think that I would gain more heat insulation than using it like this :

DSCN0034.jpg

but I have little knowledge in the topic so if someone would like to explain me what´s the best way to put it and why I´m all ears 

On the AC issue. I am looking at aftermarket companies mainly because theirs are much more compact and use modern R 134a. ( My "dealer installed one" has a bracket fabbed from 1/4" steel!). There are several, and if anyone has any recommendations please let me know. I am also a bit sentimental about the old dash, but also like modern stuff monitoring my engine rather than just " idiot lights" and gauges mounted elsewhere. Guys, I really appreciate the fact others are working on their projects and the encouragement helps sometimes. It will often seem like it one step forward, two steps back...which is normal for project cars...but keep up the updates. I'll try to get some project update pics posted in the next few weeks. Been a RPUGH start to the school year. The students have no interest in cars, as only three of mine drive one ( and I think two of those are illegal). Have a great weekend folks. Brad

well I have 3 mechanical gauges ( water and oil temp, and the most important one: oil pressure) that were connected to my old J15, I fit them where the old radio used to be, so I think it looks pretty clean. Since the 3sge works with obd2 I could get a fancy obd2 reader + bluetooth+ a tablet or my phone but it´s expensive and I´m already over-budget so it´s not happening. Can´t wait to see those pics! and thanks for the good vibes ! 

A10 Stanza Wagon + 3sge Blacktop 6MT  follow the build : https://www.facebook.com/Dmb3sge 

#3988 chevtruknut

chevtruknut

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

Looks good. You can't put too much insulation or sound deadening if you really want comfort and some sort of quiet. We all know they're a bit loud and " tinny" from the factory. I really insulated and dyna matted the rear quarters of mine. I was feeling back there on Tuesday and discovered a very bad wreck repair,. So deeper I went, but fixed it the right way, and back on track....it never ends sometimes ( to think it all started with a dirty engine compartment...)
Brad Warren
Live in Groesbeck, Texas

#3989 Dmb3sge

Dmb3sge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:56 AM

Looks good. You can't put too much insulation or sound deadening if you really want comfort and some sort of quiet. We all know they're a bit loud and " tinny" from the factory. I really insulated and dyna matted the rear quarters of mine. I was feeling back there on Tuesday and discovered a very bad wreck repair,. So deeper I went, but fixed it the right way, and back on track....it never ends sometimes ( to think it all started with a dirty engine compartment...)

Sooo which is the best way ?? I´m not so worry about the noise but I want to keep engine´s heat out of the cabine, I started the same way I´m just gonna swap the engine cuz I want to get reliability blabla...ended up with new brakes, suspension, rear end  lol well here are some pics of the doors after the zinc crhomate, no more rust :)

23000183_1466967086690613_19921073857942

23120352_1466971883356800_41393356391658

They were in pretty good shape but there´s  some work to do, again they´ve been partially sandblasted cuz there is no media blasting or soda blasting which is more forgiving with the metal. 

23120052_1466967256690596_5614276301200723004600_1466967100023945_32219743523927I woud´ve never thought that there were wholes to drain the water, talking about good design  :thumbup:

#3990 chevtruknut

chevtruknut

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

While the insulation in the engine bay doesn't look as good, look at virtually every new car w turbo, etc. They all have it! Progress is looking good there.
Brad Warren
Live in Groesbeck, Texas