Anti-Backfire Valve?!

RudyV

You really should take a  ( good ) YouTube video of vehicle backfiring so the gurus on here can get a listen,, rather than go off your words..

Ok.

(disclaimer) we dont have emission checking at all where we live

The only things left of emissions is the charcol tank fume catcher thing and the PCV system,, car has never back fired, Like i said it has been his daily since April or May and he has put at least 15,000 miles on it ,,,being a high schooler in the summer and all.

The only thing other than the normal strip stuff off is,, we cut down and plugged original EGR valve unit so that we could use manifold with bigger runners , have a cleaner look and still have stock PCV hose location........The air pumps on the car and the parts car he got were both seized up..

this

datsun521047.jpg

into this and you can see most emissions are gone

datsun522173.jpg

Wanted to also say me and my brother both have Webers on our older cars and they work fine,, but had to fuss with them to get them right..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RudyV -- are you actually having a backfire problem? Or just concerned that the Anti-Backfire valve does not work when tested?

If you still have the air pump on your engine, you DO still need the gulp-type Anti-Backfire valve, no matter what carb you run.

Banana does not need the Anti-Backfire because he removed the air pump and the entire Air Injection system.

My 78 backfires really good, its all de smogged.  To get it to backfire you hold the pedal down while shutting it off,   its louder than a .30-06 going off.   Its really funny to use when in parking lots at night.  It blows blue flames out 2 feet of the tail pipe.   

"My 78 backfires really good, its all de smogged.  To get it to backfire you hold the pedal down while shutting it off,   its louder than a .30-06 going off.   Its really funny to use when in parking lots at night.  It blows blue flames out 2 feet of the tail pipe.   "

This is fun, but there is a pretty good probability you will have to replace a blown apart muffler, or exhaust pipe sooner.

I flooded an old '62 Impala six cylinder once trying to start it. When it finally lit off it split the muffler under the drivers seat end to end and bent the floor up. It was summer and thew window was down. My ear rang until that night. The bang and the kick under my seat must be what a car bomb feels like.

"My 78 backfires really good, its all de smogged.  To get it to backfire you hold the pedal down while shutting it off,   its louder than a .30-06 going off.   Its really funny to use when in parking lots at night.  It blows blue flames out 2 feet of the tail pipe.   "

This is fun, but there is a pretty good probability you will have to replace a blown apart muffler, or exhaust pipe sooner.

Actually the muffler is homemade out of some industrial steel pipe that came from the battery factory where my brother works. Battery acid requires them to use some pretty high grade steel.  Its all mig welded not like a crimped seam muffler you would get at the store, the rest of the pipe is 14 gauge 2.5".   14 gauge is some heavy shit.   If anything blows,  it wont be in the exhaust.    I guess these stupid kids built a pretty tough little exhaust. 

Back in the 50s/60s my Dad said the kids used to haul ass into the Mt Baker Tunnel (back then they were round tubes), leave it in gear and floored, then switch off the ignition at 70MPH.  After a few seconds, flip the ignition back on.  kaBAM!   Said that tended to attract cops...  Could do that in the Battery St Tunnel too, but slower since at 70 you'd be climbing the walls (and yes, I've even seen tire marks 8 feet up the walls in there).

My Grandfather said one of my great-uncles thought he could save gas shutting off the engine of his car going down hills... except he didn't put in the clutch or take it out of gear.  Flipped the ignition back on at the bottom and almost blew the gas tank off.

I blew a muffler to smithereens on I-5 a couple years ago.  The tach wire fell off and grounded on the clutch pedal.  That was an instant ignition off... the wire bounced off the pedal arm and the ignition came back, with quite a bang.  And metal parts scattering all over the freeway.

• 9 months later...

I removed the cat from my recently aquired 1980 720. I think it has a GlassPak muffler. It backfires when I am running it through the gears unless I leave a little throttle on. I thought of the AB Valve and searched and found this thread. I have all the stock anti-pollution stuff on, except the cat.

If I disconnected the belt to the Air Injector Pump would that disengage the smog stuff and eliminate my backfires?  This would be simple for my limited mechanical chops. Thanks for any replies.

I used to backfire people who pissed me off in Phoenix with my 620.  I'd just drive right by them and click the ignition back on right as I passed them.  Scared quite a few assholes that way.  Wish I had a flamethrower mounted to my truck tonight on the way home.  Fucking college kids can't drive.  What is amusing is most newer domestic suvs all have the speed cut at 95, so they still can't outrun a shitbox D21 with a Z24.  :D  Lolz.

I used to backfire people who pissed me off in Phoenix with my 620.  I'd just drive right by them and click the ignition back on right as I passed them.  Scared quite a few assholes that way.  Wish I had a flamethrower mounted to my truck tonight on the way home.  Fucking college kids can't drive.  What is amusing is most newer domestic suvs all have the speed cut at 95, so they still can't outrun a shitbox D21 with a Z24.   :D  Lolz.

Before they became ultra expensive, we deviants would buy a Ford Model T coil in the wooden box from the Sears catalog, put a "baloney" extension on our exhaust pipes, drill a hole for any sparkplug and connect the Ford coil through a switch. Speed up, pull your foot off the gas and hit the Ford coil switch! A VERY satisfying tongue of flame erupted from the tailpipe.

Assuming no cat con. When you accelerate and then suddenly lift your foot off the gas pedal you get unburned gasoline in the exhaust. Ground the tailpipe extension to the chassis. Ground the Model T coil box to the chassis. Hit the switch and presto the spark plug ignites the gasoline rich exhaust gasses and causes the idiot behind you to shit his pants. But first you have to install the spark plug. The kind used in gasoline lawn mowers works very well.

The model T coil works like a mini Tesla coil. It buzzes away and churns out high voltage and the distributor [or in this case your switch] directs it to the desired spark plug. An extra "off" switch to the coil pack prevents wasting battery power, however it is very good at screwing up early radar speed detectors when connected to a fender mounted radio antenna. The FCC would most probably not appreciate that useage.