The reason I quit the NWDE club

Icehouse

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ice, Bleach, Slodat.....NL weekend sounds like fun! I may very well be getting another L ....do some motor swapping, cab on frame swapping, front fender/grill swapping, put the 3" blocks on the NL, drop the torsion bars...do some brake swapping.....whew...I'm winded just thinking about it. I'll pull up a chair and watch!!!! Wake me up when you're finished!! :)

'aholic!!! Great to see you here my friend!!

I don't have anything against nwde or their forum, but I do worry/wonder if they'll pull the plug at some point because of funding. I know the errors are a bit frustrating, but I don't want to see it disappear anytime soon. Like Bleach...I've got a ton of time invested into some threads on there. There is such an incredible amount of info on that forum it should be maintained if only for it's reference value. If I lose all the stuff I've put on there, I might as well start my own web site(not a forum) and post the "how to's" and construction articles there.....then I won't lose any of it...ever.

nwde.org is easier to write down for the new datsun guys I come across.

I know there's some excitement over this new forum, so maybe it will slow down just a bit, but I can't hardly keep up!!! Dadburnit! You young whippersnappers need to hold yer horses there just a minute!! :)

Funding is a small part of it. The entire NWDE website costs about $125 a year, which in the grand scheme was pretty cheap for what we were getting but it does have drawbacks. The problem with moving the site is the old forum can't be moved and be any more reliable- it's outgrown it's shoes, and any new shoes mean starting over from scratch. I had seriously considered breaking the forum off and self-funding it, but Ice forced the issue in the last meeting before he stormed out.

The end result of the meeting was it was decided to fund the site and move it somewhere more reliable. But that took a HUGE amount of discussion, something Ice didn't want to listen to. It's true, he got ganged up on- AFTER he insulted most of the folks present and the club in general. Once that was over with we actually got down to discussing what it was that we had, and how to fix it. Three options got discussed: Eliminating the forum entirely, which would be the cheapest and easiest solution; Keeping A forum in place but reducing the scope to club-related activities; or keeping a general forum as we currently have, but moving the entire site to somewhere more reliable. We DID decide to research the third option. But, that came too late- Ice already broke off and took the majority of major content contributors with him, so any fix is pretty much "Fixing the barn doors after the cows escaped". I can tell by Bleach's comments that the general opinion of the club spread, and Ice's further comments aren't helping.

It's a difference in opinion of what the club should be, and frankly he's right in some respects- what pissed him off was the comment during the meeting that the Web board did nothing to promote the club and did nothing to bring in new members. But in reality NOTHING the club has done, including the 10 (not 3) events we had last year, did anything to promote the club. I think 2 of the events even made an attempt at that- that would be the Car Corral entry at NorthWest Historics in August and the annual Autocross, neither of which are "Datsun Specific" events. What I gather folks like Ice want are a Seattle version of Canby or Bluelake. Otherwords, car specific events. And frankly, the NWDE club isn't interested in that. It's a social club, and I don't see it growing, because that's not what today's Gen-Y folks want.

I was not there, but I can definitely see the whole issue as being a difference in perspective. I've known Jeff for a long time, longer than anybody here actually, and as far back as I remember, he's been a do-er. He has great dedication to his hobbies: when we were younger, he'd occasionally walk in excess of 10 miles to go skateboarding. I'd venture to guess that with the NWDE club, he was looking for like-minded people; perhaps not with the same zeal, but with a bit more do-it-yourself and drive it. Also, I'd agree with you, from what I can tell there is a desire for more Datsun-centric events. Sometimes it's a little frustrating being the newer generation of Datsun owners, and trying to attend events like Shasta only to realize it's on the down slope.

Jeff and I have actually owned this domain for over half of a year. In fact, one of the reasons we didn't implement this forum earlier is because of NWDE. . . So, you can probably see why Jeff was a little frustrated at their initial unwillingness to invest more in their webpage/forums. But in the end, it probably just boils down to mistaken identity; the NWDE has their thing and it works for them, so personally I wish the best to them. If you're looking to keep a forum for whatever purpose, I highly recommend phpBB as a free solution. I believe they're the largest (in terms of install base) free message board solution out there. Currently they're in the beta phase of version three, which incorporates many of the features found in VBulletin.

I too would like to see one Seattle based Datsun event... something other than the Golden Gardens show which is mainly a 240SX/Skyline meet. Although we sort of started that with the BBB and POTD meets the last couple years. I'm all for keeping the Planet of the Datsuns name and turning that into an anual event. I dont' think it needs to be associated with any particular club but it certainly could be planned by members of this forum. :rolleyes:

I'm not looking to spread myself thin on being active on all sorts of forums. I'm a member of the510realm but I rarely go on there. I'm an Admin on Zdriver so I'll spend my time on this forum and the Z forum. This one works well.

If NWDE sets up a forum for their club meetings, nobody will use it. Not one of them (besides you) uses the internet or a forum. When I showed up at my first meeting they didn't even know they had a forum! Randy updated the forum only because he saw that Datsunaholic, Hainz, and Bleach actually used the original one set in place. I've hardly gone to their meetings since then. I associated them as racers. They build and actually track race their 510's and Roadsters. That's fine but its not what I do. I build my Z for my own enjoyment and street driving. As far as a club goes I try to be more active in the Z-Car Club of Washington but even with that I dont make all the events or meetings... I'm just too busy

I wasn't meaning to say I'm going to delete any of my posts, I just made some writeups on my truck that I never did carry over to my own website.

Cool, I didn't know that. Would NWDE have any interest in DatsunsNW cars in the corral? We had an incredible time at the PIR Historics last year. We also have some impressive racing heritage in the club.

In regard to putting on an event, I can tell you it is a ton of work. To pull it off you need a group of dedicated people who will get the work done. I'm on the Canby '07 committee and I'm amazed at the amount of work involved. With that said, I'm happy to help and so are many others.

Speaking of which, I am the vendor and swap chairperson for Canby '07, so feel free to contact me for vendor and swap meet space!

They really had 10 events? wow I only remember hearing about 2. It sucks how you (Doug) are NWDE, I like you, just thing about the club makes me mad. I don't want to be mean, or even a smart ass to you. The only reason I wanted to go to any of the NWDE events is because I knew I could of driven My datto behind yours :) . Kinda like we where the only datto's in the parking lot (out of all the regulars) I don't know if you remember the girl with the red 69 510 4 door that came a few times? she sat a the table I was at, well any ways, the second or third time she came she told me that she wasn't coming to the next meet.... I asked why and she said. "I have a friend that goes to a vw club meeting every month, I went and there meets where fun, I though maybe since I drove a datsun I should check out there club. This club is so boring..." I swear to god she said that. One by one there future has walked out the door, right under there noises.... Remember when that guy with all the kids "quit"? they almost lost there auto crossing.... The club keeps getting smaller and they do nothing... There news letter is the biggest joke, I get it mailed to my dads place, Once he read it (doesn't have cable and loves to read, he's a genious) He was laughing about it.... I even told them I post all my projects on the forum if they want to put any of it in there..

There club is a Joke! I'm sick of being laughed at.

I was talking to a member of the510realm, where I also posted a link to this page as well as the BB list. He said people will go where they want, don't feel bad if they go to your page. kinda made me feel better, I didn't mean to steel anyone, just borrow them. :D

P.S you can post anywhere Dougy :) you don't have to keep it in the NWDE thread..

Like I posted before, I never knew that NWDE was a club, I was always checking the event section, and it never had anything, Maybe a autocross, but that is about it. I agree with Bleach, I would love to see and all Datusn meet up here in the Seattle area. Vanvouver has 2 that I know of, Portland has at least 2, Canby, Blue Lake..So why cant some of the more serious people get together and try to figure it out. There are alot of parks and Schools etc, to put on show. It does take a bit of foot work and some dedication, But it could be done...Hell, even a social afternoon bbq with a cruise afterwards would be cool..and a hell of alot less work...I sure more to come on this...:cool:

Its funny, either people know and hate nwde club or have no idea they exist.

I brought up the idea of an event to them once. They said that they tried it once and no one showed up. I told them I saw people from Canada at shasta, so if we promoted it enough people would show up. Very frustrating.

I had a meet in my freakin' back yard and even though it poured down rain in the morning we still had 15 people show up. I even had people that weren't on the forum make it. They saw the ad on my website. (Bleachgarage.com) no, I don't have my own forum :D but if you want to start a forum about me that would be fine.

That lady from Austrailia with the blue 620 even kept in contact. Her and her husband bought some parts from me recently.

NorthwestNissans.com has bi-weekly Pho meets up north.

We could totally just plan a dinner or BBQ somewhere even once a month during the warmer months. Even if only 3 cars show up its still a group event! We didn't really have an Events section on the NWDE forum so people didnt' know where to look for such planning. We can do it.

If a 620, Z, and a 200SX can meet in a back alley in downtown Seattle then we can plan a little Datto meet.

Nice ideas...have a monthly hangout night, just keep changing the city...Dicks in Seattle for Feb...maybe Frisco Freeze in Tacoma in March...a short cruise down Ruston/the Point...sounds like fun!

I'm still having my B-Day BBQ on the 18th of August though...got confirmations from people in Georgia and Nevada that are coming(flying)...possibly Arizona as well.

"The guy with all the kids"? You mean the one who was kind of the racing coordinator? Named Chris?

Uh, he didn't quit. I know what happened to him. His ex (or I at least hope she's his ex by now) is still part of the club.

There were 10 events, I just don't remember when they all were. They weren't "Events" as most folks would define it- they were actually "Club Activities" where the folks got together. Mostly attending other events, like Canby. That was one. The Autocross was the only "Event" we put on for the general population, the rest were small gatherings- a Movie night, a 24-hours at LeMans racing night, a trip to the LeMay auto museum, etc. This is not so different than what you're proposing. It's a different group.

As I said, it's a social club. The Friday meetings are business meetings, nothing more. Folks bring cars in the Summer. Most are very much fair-weather Datsun drivers- these aren't "Ratsuns".

I've talked with them about the fact that their membership is dwindling- they are getting old. It's obvious. Everyone is 45+ with a few exceptions. They're into middle aged things, not going out and comparing cars. It's not what the Gen X'ers and Gen Y'ers are into, they know that, but they don't seem interested in catering to that crowd, and they aren't the kind of people that are apt to change. The club has been through several different stages, but no one is willing to join the club in sufficient numbers to start it to the next stage. Kids today don't want to put the effort it takes to maintain this sort of thing, I see it in both the organizations I'm involved with. Both have aging membership and no apparent future generation willing to step in to take over.

But whadda you do? You know the only reason I'm even in the club? It was because Randy decided to bail out running the website and I was the only one willing to even TRY to maintain it. I wanted to keep the forum running. That was it.

But whadda you do? You know the only reason I'm even in the club? It was because Randy decided to bail out running the website and I was the only one willing to even TRY to maintain it. I wanted to keep the forum running. That was it.

And Doug, you should know that you are appreciated and valued for that alone..

PLUS you fucking KNOW shit that we all want to know.

So, thank you and please keep kicking the info to us!

What about:

* Burgermaster in Bellevue -- we can eat in our cars!

* A&W in Kent --same deal

These are two real drive-ins.

About NWDE, they had one cool event this summer: BBQ at a guys house, then backroads driving 40 miles over to the dirt track races. I couldn't make it but it sounded like great fun.

I agree, Doug thank you for keeping the forum alive. I knew about the club, I even know one of the members that hails from my area (Bruce) but never really associated the club with the forum. I see both sides of the coin, but have no real reason to leave the NWDE forum, I've learned a lot of information on there and have met a lot of good people.

I do agree with Doug in the fact that many people in our generation don't have the drive (mostly with me it's time) to work at keeping a club together and running. The "oldies" as I like to call 'em have more time (and money) on their hands to spend with an organization such as NWDE.

I would just love an opportunity to get together with other enthusiats and talk shop and compare each other's rides more often then once or twice a year. Obviously that's harder for people like me that are so far away (most of the datsun population is north of Portland), but we can figure that out!

I would just love an opportunity to get together with other enthusiats and talk shop and compare each other's rides more often then once or twice a year. Obviously that's harder for people like me that are so far away (most of the datsun population is north of Portland), but we can figure that out!

That's what I wanted to, I never seen any of the main (oldies) members ever drive a datsun!! You try to talk to them about there datsun and they don't even have a clue.. I asked one of the racers what his front suspension was set to. Camber, caster, and toe. He said he didn't know he just had his alinment guy set it for him.... what is that.. Every club meet ended with me Doug and usually one other person talking into the night. Most people left right after it got over. I know where to find Doug so I figure I'm set. As long as he will still be my friend :)

I've seen plenty of them drive a Datsun. In the summer- Roadsters aren't the greatest rain cars. Most of the rest at least drive a Nissan (2 have Maximas).

I know at least 3 members their ONLY Datsuns are full race cars, not street cars.

It is true that most are not mechanics- Guy and Vince are about the only exceptions. Guy's Roadster with the CA18ET with full custom intake and fully programmable injection setup is a thing of beauty.