• 4,725 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

spraying wash primer.

more fender metal work

Apron (valence) plate.

more body tools

spraying epoxy primer

roof seam sealer replacement

windshield removal, cutting bad weatherstrip.

roof primer and paint removal

5 speed transmission tunnel cover modification

cleaning and stripping floor

Dashboard removal

roof primed

new seam sealer on roof

cowl rust holes

prime and paint small parts.

close paint match to original air cleaner color

Back to original post.

January 1, 2013 Dragon odometer shows 33.006 miles.

Like I mentioned in my other project thread, I did get signed up for an auto restore class at Clackamas Community College, and my plan is to use the class for access to the paint booth at CCC, to finally get some paint on fenders. 

#22 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

The class got cancelled.  Rats.

#23 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Today, I was able to get some wash primer on the left inner fender and inside of the left fender for Ratsun.
I also was able to spray some wash primer on the inside of this fender that I plan on using on Dragon.
FenderAddictWash.JPG

#24 alabama_lowlife

alabama_lowlife

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cars:08 Altima, 97 Nissan p/u, 93 Nissan 300zx, 89 Nissan p/u, 1970 Datsun 521

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

Daniel, the work you did fixing the dents on that fender is pretty impressive.

#25 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

The fender in the above picture is one I got from D510Addict, not the fender I have cut and sectioned pieces out of.  However, the fender did start out looking like this.
LeftWashed.JPG
and the front of the fender.
LeftWashed2.JPG
In those two pictures, I already sanded the tiop of the fender, above the style line, and below that, I just pressure washed the fender.
In this picture, I have done a lot of sanding.
LeftAddictSanded.JPG
And uncovered this plastic filler on the front of the fender.
Find this picture LiftFiller.jpg
There were also these minor dents in the middle of the fender.
LeftDents.JPG

To get access to the front of the fender, I removed the headlight bucket with a spot weld saw.
BucketFree.JPG

After removing the headlight bucket, it spent a lot of time bolted to a board,
FenderBolted.JPG
or bolted to this fixture,
FixtureFender.JPG
or even bolted on to Ratsun.
AddictOnRat.JPG
This is a plate I made, that is bolted on to Ratsun, where the front apron would normally be.
ApronPlateRat1.JPG

I have found it is a lot easier to remove dents from the fenders if they are held securely.  In many cases, that means bolting it on the cab, but in some cases, the core support in in the way of getting to the front of the fender, and so I made the fixtures to hold the fender in position, without cab sheet metal being in the way.

Most of the dents were removed with these three dollies, on the underside of the fender, and
ThreeDollies.JPG
working the top side with these spoons.
Spoons.JPG
The cut off leaf spring is very handy.  By holding a dolly under the fender, with a contour that closely matches the underside of the fender, and slapping the top of the fender with the concave side of the spring spoon, like this,

Add picture of slapping top of fender, with dolly underneath.

SpoonsDolly.JPG

To finish the fender, I use this bull eye pick a lot,
BullEyePick.JPG
and to find high spots, a body file.
BodyFile.JPG

#26 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Today I got some primer on this fender.
FenderAddictPrime.JPG
and the back edge.
FenderAddictPrime2.JPG

#27 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Today, I attached the headlight bucket with some #6-32 machine screws, and nuts to this fender.
AddictBucketScrew.JPG
Before welding the bucket on, I am going to do a trial fit of the fender on Ratsun, and then see how it fits on Dragon.

#28 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I did trial fit this fender on Ratsun, and I still need to do a little metal work in it, but overall it fit pretty good. 

On another note, today i picked up a 240 MM clutch disk flywheel, pressure plate, TO bearing, and clutch fork from DTP.

I also put a cowl grill for Dragon into a derusting electrolysis process.

See this thread.

http://community.rat...hl=electrolysis

#29 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I did trial fit this fender on Ratsun, and I still need to do a little metal work in it, but overall it fit pretty good. 

On another note, today i picked up a 240 MM clutch disk flywheel, pressure plate, TO bearing, and clutch fork from DTP.

I also put a cowl grill for Dragon into a derusting electrolysis process.

See this thread.

http://community.rat...hl=electrolysis

The TO bearing came on a collar, correct, I sure hope so, you need the collar that came with that setup.

#30 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

Yes, TO bearing, collar, pressure plate, clutch disk, flywheel, and the 9 bolts that hold the pressure plate on the flywheel.

#31 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 13,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Yes, TO bearing, collar, pressure plate, clutch disk, flywheel, and the 9 bolts that hold the pressure plate on the flywheel.

Then you are set, I transferred all that onto my work truck L20b, and I have never regretted it. 

#32 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

A few weeks ago, I took the rusty cowl grill from Ratsun, and Dragon, and used electrolysis to remove the rust from them.  On Tuesday Feb 12, 2013 I sandblasted the cowl frames, and then sprayed a wash primer on them.  Today, while spraying DPLF epoxy primer on the new floor pan for Ratsun, I also sprayed DPLF on the cowl grills.
CowlGrills.JPG

#33 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Like Ratsun, Dragon gets used around the farm, and house too.  On Wednesday, Sept 4, 2013, I used Dragon to get up close and personal with some bushes around the house, to trim them.
BrushCutting.JPG
After trimming, I simply picked up the branches that did not fall in the truck, and drove Dragon out to the burn pile in the pasture.

Dragon's windshield has a leak, the roof had some rust spots, and sometimes when I pulled tape off the paint on the roof, it would remove the paint, down to the primer.  I suspected the seam sealer, in the drip rail,  was leaking also. 

So I removed the seam sealer, like this.
First, I made a vertical cut with a box knife,
VerticleCut.JPG
then a horizontal cut with a 1/4 chisel X-Acto knife,
HorizontalCut2.JPG
Another view of horizontal cut.
HorizontalCut.JPG
The sealer comes out in pieces like this.
SealerCut.JPG

There is still some residue of the sealer in the bottom of the drip rail.
You can get these abrasive nylon brushes at Ace hardware.
Nylox.JPG

You chuck these brushes in a drill, like this,
NyaloxBrush.JPG
and they work really good at removing the last traces of old seam sealer from the drip rail.  In this picture, about 3/4 of the rail has been cleaned, and the bottom 1/4 has not.
RemainSealer.JPG
This is the drip rail cleaned.
NyaloxBeforeAfter.JPG

I also pulled the windshield out of Dragon.  To remove a windshield, you slide a knife flat against the glass, under the weather strip, and cut the top of the weather strip off.
Remove1.JPG
make several passes until the knife goes all the way through,
Remove2.JPG
and pull off the top part of the weathestrip.
Remove3.JPG

The three windshield removal pictures are from Ratsun.  The last picture, I did not completely remove the top of the weatherstrip, on Ratsun.  I just slipped the windshield out of the weatherstrip.  On Dragon, the weatherstrip had a lot more sealer on it, and I had to remove all the top of the weatherstrip, all the way around.  There was a lot of sealer left in the windshield opening, and there is no easy way, other than scraping it out, and then cleaning the rest with paint thinner, and lots of paper towels.  Wear nitrile gloves, windshield sealer goo is messy.

Then I finished sanding the roof, front view.
RoofFront.JPG
Side view.
RoofSide.JPG

#34 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,010 posts
  • Cars:Trailblazer ss/72 521/71 goon/454 SS/2016 canyon

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

just clear coat he roof.lol

#35 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Dragon already has a long shaft five speed in it.  This is what I did to the plate covering the hole in the floor where the shifter is.
5SpeedShiftPlate.JPG

here is what the floor of Dragon looks like.  Some rust, but intact.  Right side.
DragonFloorRT.JPG
Left side.
DragonFloorLeft.JPG

Last night, I did some wire brushing, sanding, treating with Ospho, more cleaning, to get rid of some rust.
DragonFloorLeft2.JPG

#36 Steve521

Steve521

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Cars:1971 Datsun 521, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1992 Toyota Camry V6

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

Nice work Dan...thanks for not just showing us the work you did but also how you did it.  :thumbup:

#37 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

I spent more time removing rust from the cab floor on Dragon today, and then I went to Wayno's house, and got a windshield gasket.
Monday Sept 16, 2013 Edit, now with pictures!
Last Saturday, and Sunday, more removing rust off the floor of Dragon, and I also took the dash board, wiper linkage, and upper air control box out of the cab.
Dash board removed
UnderDash.JPG

More rust removed, mostly on forward section of floor, drivers side.
DraFlrLf2.JPG

DraFlrLf3.JPG

DraFlrLf4.JPG

DraFlrLf5.JPG

#38 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

October 19, I got some primer on the roof of Dragon.   First, I did a final sanding, and cleaning of the metal, then I sprayed some wasn primer, and then, I had lunch.   But first, I cleaned the spray gun, and the air cap on the gun was getting a little build up of old paint on it, so before lunch, I filled a small cup with lacquer thinner, and dropped the air cap in it to soak, and loosen up paint on the air cap.  I did not want the thinner to evaporate, so I put the small cup, with the air cap, in the paint gun cup, and put the lid on it.
After lunch go out to the garage, mix up some epoxy primer for the roof of Dragon, got a filter funnel, and poured the primer into the paint gun.  Then I realize the small cup, with the air cap for the gun in also in there.   So I just wasted the primer I mixed up.  I took the small cup out of the paint gun, cleaned the air cap, that was nice and easy, because it had been soaking in the thinner, and poured the primer and thinner mix into another can, and mixed up more primer.  Then I sprayed the roof with the second batch of epoxy primer.

That was yesterday.  Today, I got seam sealer on the drip rail on the roof of Dragon.
Finally the pictures.
RoofDragon1.JPG
Another picture
RoofDragon2.JPG

This is the seam sealer I used.
SEMSeamSealer.JPG

Dragon still has this minor rust problem I need to deal with.
DragonCowlRust.JPG

After getting the primer on the roof of Dragon yesterday, I looked at the primer, and thinner mix I had from my screwup.  It looked pretty good, so I decided to use it.  Back to this thread.

http://community.rat...sun-521/page-16

#39 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

The rust hole in the cowl of Dragon has turned in to a nightmare, but I am making some progress with it.  In the meantime, some of these parts,
PrimedParts.JPG
are for Dragon.
One air cleaner lid, and the rear licence plate holder.  They got some paint a few days ago.
The air cleaner lid,
DragonAirLid.JPG
and the plate holder.
PlateHolder.JPG

I mixed up slightly too much of the blue for the air cleaner lid, so I pulled the air clear bracket off Dragon's engine, and sandblasted it, and also painted it.

The blue is Dupont Centari, 68-69 VW Chrome blue, but my paint supplier shaded the paint slightly. 
The black is also Dupont Centari, Dupont code 99.

#40 mrbigtanker

mrbigtanker

Hall Monitor

• 12,010 posts
  • Cars:Trailblazer ss/72 521/71 goon/454 SS/2016 canyon

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

Lookin good bro,i cant wait to see your truck done. :thumbup: :thumbup: