• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts
  • Cars:1966 520, 1967 520, 1985 720 ST King Cab, 1986 720 King Cab

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:28 PM

I enjoy your threads Daniel because of the information and detail but mostly because you work your trucks.  Even if they are missing doors they are put to work!  LOL

#202 greenacres

greenacres

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cars:'71 521

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:06 PM

Your fenders are looking great.  Mine need some work so I need to pay attention to your posts.

#203 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

After getting the inside of the left fender primed, I noticed some areas that did not get primer in to them with the spray gun.  Next time I have some primer mixed up, a paint brush will get these areas.
FenderHeadlightTop.JPG

I have a small garage. Good thing I like Datsuns.  Here I am getting ready to work on some Doors.
GarageLookOut.JPG

This is the garage looking in.
GarageLookIn.JPG

This is a picture for two metal saw horses I have with some plywood on them.  My Dad made them, years ago.   I put some plywood on them, and have a nice bench.
MetalSawHorses.JPG

I clamped this board on one of the rafters in the garage.
RafterBoard.JPG

OK, this picture turned sideways, top is to the left.   Note the hammer and punch to the right side of the picture.
DoorTop4.JPG
This is the top vent window screw hole on a 521 door.
DoorTop1.JPG

This is that screw hole on another door that is damaged
DoorTop2.JPG
By placing the punch on the damaged parts around the screw hole, I made it a lot better.
DoorTop3.JPG

DoorTop6.JPG

#204 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

Dragon also needed some more work on the right side of the radiator support, below the headlight.  With the lower grill rail off the truck for painting, it is pretty easy to work on this area, and most of this area is just flat.  However, looking down you can see where the support is bent in, above the front cab mount on that side.

RtCoreSupport1.JPG

This is just a piece of steel, I am using the straight edge on it to show the gap where the support is bent in.
RtCoreSupport2.JPG

I drilled this 3/8 hole, in one of the lowest spots in the core support.
RtcoreSupportDrilled.JPG

The piece of steel I used as a straight edge is then bolted to the core support, the ends of the steel bar on high areas of the core support.
3x12Plate.JPG

This is the back side of the core support, showing the hole, and a bolt.  Notice it is located in a thicker part of the core support, on the cab mount bracket.  The bolt, nut, and washers are a 3/8, grade 8.  I tightened the bolt snug, and pulled the dent in the core support against the flat steel bar.
RtCoreSupportBack.JPG

I then used these hammers and a punch on the back side of the core support to work more dents out of the core support, where the steel plate was against the core support.  I also moved the plate around the bolt, to get to different areas of the core support.
HammersandPunch.JPG

Using a punch on one low spot.  I did take the tire off on this side, and a also drilled a second 3/8 hole below the first one.
PunchOnCore.JPG

That got a lot of the low area worked out, but not all of it.
RtCoreSupport3.JPG

I then put two 1/4 spacers on each end of the steel bar to give me more distance to "overbend" the core support.
PlateandSpacers1.JPG

Just a close view of one spacer.  This one is copper, it does not need to be.  A thin piece of wood would also work.
PlateandSpacers2.JPG

This is checking the flatness of the area after pulling it with the spacers under the steel bar.  I then checked the fit of the lower grill rail, sorry, no picture, but it was good enough.
RtCoreSupport4.JPG

Then I welded the holes up, using some 3/8 plugs.  More details later.
RtCoreSupportWeldedHoles.JPG

#205 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Wish you were closer I would let you hone your body skills on my 520.  you make it look easy.

#206 DanielC

DanielC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:32 PM

i have plenty of my own Datsuns I need to get work done on.  It would be nice to be able to paint in the winter, but I would not like doing body work in the summer, in Arizona.

#207 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:53 PM

AZhitman has an AC in his garage.  Maybe he will let me do the metal work in it.  I have a swamp cooler for mine.  LOL