Pickup MPG

Hey guys. I'm new here and don't actually own a Datsun. But I've been looking for a car that gets better gas mileage than mine for going to and from school. I've heard a couple different times that some Datsun get amazing MPG. I heard from one place that the Datsun 620 (I think thats the one?) pickup can get up to 45 MPG, one friend told me his sons got 55 MPG. I doubt either of those are accurate but I dont know. Anyway could any one tell me what kind of mileage this pickup gets?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was curious about gas mileage on my 620 before I had a chance to check. I searched the archives. "620 gas mileage"

It came up with avg results. When I got around to using up a tank of gas on my own, '79 620 kc l20b, with 4 spd and stock carb, I got 23.7 mpg with combination hwy and city driving.

The only gasser vehicle that I have driven that got reliable 45 mpg was the toyota starlet, carbed version. That was a fun little car. I drove it to CA and back to CO in the early 80's.

With the 720 various ratings are explainable; there were different engine options. My '83 720 got very close to 30, which was very good considering the truck weighed more, had power steering, and a nearly 25% larger engine by displacement. 620s never had anything but one engine per model year. '79s with a 5-speed would theoretically get the best mileage, at least in stock form, due to the 4.11 outweighing the slightly lesser overdrive. But you're still moving the same amount of weight the same speed. Savings come from constant-speed cruising. The 400 RPM drop of the (stock) 5-speed over 4th gear saves energy only in the rotating mass of the engine. My high-MPG (low-mid 30s) truck had a nearly 800 RPM drop due to the modification of using a late 280ZX 5-speed, a very lean Weber carb, and an L18 engine which of course had less stroke and overall weight than the original L20B. But it wasn't going to set any acceleration records, that's for sure.

I had a new '76 B-210 4 speed and drove cross Canada a year later. I got almost 50MPG a couple of times but usually low/mid 40s on the highway. I lived on a farm 11 miles from town so the average MPG at home was always in the 30s.Our Imperial gallons are 1.2 of your US gallons.

Cross Canada in my 620 I used to get 27-29MPG which is mid 20s for a US gallon..

Mileage is a function of speed and front section area. (air resistance) vehicle weight and hills to climb, stop and go traffic, engine size.

Every time you use your brakes you are wasting the gas just used to accelerate the mass of your vehicle up to speed.

What's the hurry? Leave sooner and go the speed limit. Wind resistance is 4 times as much at 80 as it is at 40MPH.

Stop warming your vehicle up. Start it and drive away within 20 seconds. If it runs like shit when cold then it's cheaper to fix that, then the gas you waste.

• Like 1

I have a 74 620, lowered 3", stock l18 carb and four speed and get a very consistent 22 mpg. Of course my speedo is off by 5 mph so not sure if that calculates for the better or worse. Best Iv got was 23 but as datzenmike mike stated I waste a little gas warming it up as I have to pump the gas pedal just to get her started then hold the rpms up to get it warm. I also commute on the freeway 60 miles a day, drive between 65-70 mph, and haven't changed spark plugs or made any carb adjustments since I got it. Still better then my f150

My 720 gets approximately 20mpg...

and haven't changed spark plugs or made any carb adjustments since I got it. Still better then my f150

Shhhit that's what I gotta do.. Haven't changed my spark plugs either, but I have eight of those little fuckers...

I had a '72-1/2 Toyota Hilux (RN22) back in the early '70's.

25 MPG was the best,honest gas milage that you could get from them.

Remember - most had low rear end ratios (4:11),so that limited things.

Of course,there's always the guy who will tell you that he got 50 mpg,

while towing a fully loaded trailer @ 65 mph - "No Lie".

- Doug

my stock tired L16 in my 510 got 24 to 25 with a 32/36 dgv weber carbalmost no mater how I drove it

with my built L20 duel 40 webers and driving it like I stole it (because that is how your supposed to drive it )

I get about 17 keep in mind I still have to fine tune the jetting on the carbs

BUT it is much more fun to drive than the 24 MPG L16

My 95 Hardbody with KA and auto trans gets horrible mileage. It averages around 22mpg. I have gotten 25 with all Hwy driving if I keep it under 70. I think the auto trans sucks up way more fuel then a manual. I would like to swap in a 5 speed but have never gotten around to it.

My 95 Hardbody with KA and auto trans gets horrible mileage. It averages around 22mpg. I have gotten 25 with all Hwy driving if I keep it under 70. I think the auto trans sucks up way more fuel then a manual. I would like to swap in a 5 speed but have never gotten around to it.

Heavier truck and larger motor.

I had a new '76 B-210 4 speed and drove cross Canada a year later. I got almost 50MPG a couple of times but usually low/mid 40s on the highway. I lived on a farm 11 miles from town so the average MPG at home was always in the 30s.Our Imperial gallons are 1.2 of your US gallons.

Cross Canada in my 620 I used to get 27-29MPG which is mid 20s for a US gallon..

Mileage is a function of speed and front section area. (air resistance) vehicle weight and hills to climb, stop and go traffic, engine size.

Every time you use your brakes you are wasting the gas just used to accelerate the mass of your vehicle up to speed.

What's the hurry? Leave sooner and go the speed limit. Wind resistance is 4 times as much at 80 as it is at 40MPH.

Stop warming your vehicle up. Start it and drive away within 20 seconds. If it runs like shit when cold then it's cheaper to fix that, then the gas you waste.

This!

I know on my non EFI cars longest I'd let them warm up is about a minute to 2 minutes and that was so I wasn't driving around with my oil pressure on my VW through the roof.

My old '97 2wd standard cab hardbody, manual trans got an average 21 mpg around town. It could get 23ish on the highway, if I kept it at 50mph, I got 26 mpg. That's pretty average.

The current KAZ24 ext, cab hardbody 4x4 averages 18.5-20 around town in the summer. In winter it's about 17.5-18.5 depending on weather conditions. Summer highway I've gotten as high as 22.7 mpg, but has to be no wind. Winter highway is 20-21.

Neither of these trucks has a camper shell, which will help. My Datsun guru is getting around 25 mpg in his 93 ext. cab hardbody 2wd with camper shell. He's annoyed by that mileage even, which realistically is good for the weight of the vehicle.

Most Datsuns with L20s with webers (trucks) have gotten around 18-20 mpg. Granted the rear gears on 620s are pretty steep.

Oh, and if I let the truck fully warm up on cold days, that translates to 15-16.5 mpg. Which is why generally I start it, wait for oil pressure, then back it out and go. Except on really frigid days,then I'll sacrifice the mileage.

Out at the ORV park, it's not uncommon for me to get 7-12 mpg with the truck. ;) Funny how sand and 4 wheel drive do that to you. Of course, you could drive a brand new Frontier with that stupid 4 liter and get 15 and 20 mpg city to highway. Blech. They need to put the 3.5 liter back into the Frontiers. They still have it in the Pathfinders, it would only drop 25 hp, and would still have plenty of get up. Then make a manual locking hub version instead of the always on ones. It's no wonder no one wants to buy a compact pickup anymore. Might as well get the V8 Titan, it doesn't get that much worse mileage than the V6 Frontier. And the 4 cylinder Frontiers don't get much better than the hardbodies do. I thought we were going ahead in technology, not behind?

I work on trucks, almost exclusively, every time I pull a new truck in and it has a readout of its avg gas mileage I remember that and then look to see what engine it has.

The 2 highest numbers to come into the shop. 22.7mpg and 22.3mpg. And who wants to guess what trucks these were?

The first one was a 2011 2500 Ram Crew Cab with a Cummins diesel in it. The second one was a 2012 1500 Crew Cab VBed Ram with the Hemi in it.

Lowest mpg I have seen (mind you I know there has been lower but this is only trucks with digital read outs) was a 09 Ford Ecoboost, and it was at 9.6mpg. Now I will say this is 4 mpg lower than any other Ecoboost I have seen.

Some of these numbers in this thread make me cringe.