Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project

Atomic

Atomic, do you have the part number for the ARP head stud kit?

Sure, it was for A14 engine, but I believe it's also for all later models(A13,A14,A15): 202-4203

As for early models(only A12 engines), it was something like: 202-4202

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/?title=ARP

ARP cylinder head studs & nuts replace the stock bolts.

• 202-4202 (A12)
  • 202-4203 (A14)

NOTE: 1974-up A12 and A14 use the same center (long) head bolt.

So:

• use #202-4202 (A12) for early engines A10 and pre-1974 A12
  • use #202-4203 (A14) for all late engines, including late A12, A12A, A13, A14, A15
  • Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, thats the guy that was selling that intake and exhaust log manifold set for $750 AUD on ebay. its the one earlier in that thread that is all painted black.

I asked him about modifying it for fuel injection and he said he could do that for an additional cost, but with shipping to the US it just isn't in my budget. It would be about $900 AUD for the manifold and an additional $500-600 AUD for freight. However, the ideas are great and that gives me ideas of what to ask a local fabricator if I decide to run a turbo (supercharger seems easier :P )

Yea, thats the guy that was selling that intake and exhaust log manifold set for $750 AUD on ebay. its the one earlier in that thread that is all painted black.

I asked him about modifying it for fuel injection and he said he could do that for an additional cost, but with shipping to the US it just isn't in my budget. It would be about $900 AUD for the manifold and an additional $500-600 AUD for freight. However, the ideas are great and that gives me ideas of what to ask a local fabricator if I decide to run a turbo (supercharger seems easier :P )

Yeah, i saw it too when it was on ebay. Mm, shippingis costly, that's why i'm going to copy some of his ideas and make my own version out of it. Well, I was considering a supercharger engine at the first place, but then I decided to use tgis old A15 because it's so lightweight and good for up to 200hp :) And it has been an educational project for me

How in the earth, does A15 engines get their piston crowns lubricated? I found this forget piston conrod

$T2eC16N,!)0FIZPRcSs8BS(iSRQ)QQ~~60_3.JP

and there is no lubrication hole in there?? Or am I blind?.. Or is there another way? Please tell me

because it has this one hole on the top.. But where does it take that oil?

$(KGrHqF,!mEFJLg)oWnmBS(iSQk,rQ~~60_3.JP

Piston crowns do not need lubrication.

Thanks for the answer :) ''do not need'' is another thing.. I mean if the piston crow heats up badly it will fail and break. But with oil stream it doesn't have so much friction...(as it lubricates the bore at the same time) 

But yeah, i was watching some videos and I grew a thought if I have put my bearings so that they wont match the lubrication holes.. But if there is none in these piston conrods, i don't have to worry about it..

It is this *------* close that I have my parts. I can see that they're now in custom, and now is religious holiday so nothing moves...(darn it). But I will assemble the motor next weekend. By the way, changes to plenum. I watched some videos and got an nice idea that I could craft one out of old small extinguisher! And I'll be buying some stainless steel pipes for the exhaust manifold next week. 

You need a longer hose.  B)

From the pump housing is really your only choice. This engine was never designed to be turbocharged, so... 

Yeah... I'm guessing that the pump is enough for little extra loop with the turbo charger? So I can just 'rob' one feed from the oilpump and attach it to turbo charger? Of course the oil will be directly go back to the sump. Other interesting thing is to find coolant fittings, and a way that I can take the hot water from the turbo charger to the radiator. Haha, I will be proud if I get this engine running some day...

I read that there is A15 Nismo race oil pump existing somewhere in the world. It features: 

100psi oil pressure 

Twin drive gear setup 
Built in oil cooler outlets and pressure gauge outlet. 

If someone knows where to get these or has one to sell, I'm more than happy to know, thanks :)

The stock oil pump will be fine.

The nismo pump is needed if running 8500 RPM with worn bearings, then it can keep up. The stock oil pump is already twin gear type.

Hmm, but is there any outlets that I may use as oil feed to my turbo?

Sup, new parts arrived and i had some time to install some other parts to the engine too.

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tibhe.jpg

Sorry for blurry effect, but here you can see that i have one hole for the oil pressure and another for something else, can't remember if there was attached to it... If nothing is connected to it, I will use it for turbo oil intake.

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tiarc.jpg

So here are the new springs

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tiaw4.jpg

Ah, sorry for the blurry image, I'm using another camera.. But as you can see, there is a difference in valve spring seats, new one is the right one. Luckily I didn't have to buy spring retainers because they were (for some reason) for dual valve springs(Saved money$$$$$)

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tib1n.jpg

My first time doing this, I'm glad that my father has all the equipment needed to complete this :P

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tib6e.jpg

But of course there is a problem! One of the parts is missing.. Sigh... :D I need to take some spare parts from the another engine.

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tibc9.jpg

But it wasn't the only problem. I looked the rocker arms and one seemed to stuck. So I pulled the whole thing apart and noticed that there were deep cuts in one of the rocker arm bearing. So I need to get this setup replaced from the another car too. Nice!...

So yeah, tomorrow I'll be disassembling the other A15 engine and taking some parts out of it. And ARP head studs should come next week. Cheers~

More pictures:

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tlxs6.jpg

So today I started to build the alternator back together, got all parts sandblasted that had some corrosion or rust. Came up pretty good, and I replaced some old parts which were worn out.

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tlxyd.jpg

Not a day without disappointment... They sold me the wrong bearing for the alternator. It's too big and it's for newer Nissan Sunny's

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tly5i.jpg

I decided to give some paint for aluminium parts so they would shine more. 

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tlych.jpg

Inner parts inserted, came up pretty good..

untitled_by_atomicsickness-d6tlyit.jpg

And the finished product :) Tadaa~ 

• Atomic changed the title to Datsun B310 turbo coupe, A15 project