• Please log in to reply
693 replies to this topic

#21 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Cars:2x Datsun B310 Coupe 1978

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

Why do you want a metal head gasket? The stock head gasket can handle at least 160HP (Nissan genuine). The factory A-series metal gaskets were extra thin to increase compression.

Or were you thinking about a custom thickness Copper gasket?

It's just because i want to eliminate some risks. And where could i get this custom thickness copper gasket?
Thanks!

RULE: Do not rush to the forged piston store every time a turbo engine needs preparation

If it doesn't work well, chrome-plate it.

-Maximum Boost

#22 king bee66

king bee66

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Cars:'76 b210, '95 altima, '97 altima

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

id roll with the standard gasket myself. its an easy job to replace one on an A series, usually takes just a couple of hours. if you run into problems down the line is when you could opt for the more expensive one. just my opinion.

#23 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

id roll with the standard gasket myself. its an easy job to replace one on an A series, usually takes just a couple of hours. if you run into problems down the line is when you could opt for the more expensive one. just my opinion.

Okay, I can try to roll with a new gasket then, and see what's going to happen! Good opinion :) Thanks mate

RULE: Do not rush to the forged piston store every time a turbo engine needs preparation

-Maximum Boost

#24 mrmark

mrmark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Cars:79 210 - 09 Jetta - 99 Suburban

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Lookin Good! B310's aren't popular here but that's one of the reasons I have one!

#25 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Lookin Good! B310's aren't popular here but that's one of the reasons I have one!

Thanks m8! Yeah, have noticed it :D But in case if some one is interested, and I need some opinions and help and suggestions :) Btw, it's that from you picture?

-Maximum Boost

#26 81sunnyson

81sunnyson

210 challenged

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cars:81 210...87 AE86

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

check out peterzekertracing.com

peter zekert

#27 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

check out peterzekertracing.com

peter zekert

Nice site! Interesting stuff :) Where are you shipping all the parts? USA?

-Maximum Boost

#28 mrmark

mrmark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks m8! Yeah, have noticed it :D But in case if some one is interested, and I need some opinions and help and suggestions :) Btw, it's that from you picture?

yep, that's mine.
Posted Image

#29 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

yep, that's mine.
Posted Image

Oh that front bumper >:o nice, may i see your interior?

-Maximum Boost

#30 mrmark

mrmark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hehe, It's nasty! Floors are great, dash is cracked, front seats are good. Everything else is missing.

#31 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hehe, It's nasty! Floors are great, dash is cracked, front seats are good. Everything else is missing.

Oh dang :D Are you going to get new parts for it?

-Maximum Boost

#32 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Made some calculations today.
If my coupe weights around 840kg and it has power of 117Kw
It's going to have ~7.2Kg/Kw. And Finnish law says that turbo charger is same as engine swap. And when doing engine swap, weight/power ration must not go under 7.
So it's getting close! Haha, I'm trying to get that 140-160hp out of this little beast. More pictures uploading on weekend!

And found contactless ignition for 4-cylinder engine. And send a ordering message for missing instrument panel. And what else....
Just going to clean up the whole engine. Oh, the crankshaft has to be little oversized, because bearings were terrible! But getting new ones probably next week.
New steel parts cut for rusty areas. And some measuring need to be done with horizontal intake (110mm aprox) and with new dellortos, and still need to fit pressure chamber there, going to be tight!

Hope you guys are interested in with this project, send me some ideas to make this system better!
Oh and I'm taking volvo 740 radiator to this engine, should keep the temps lower! And thinking of getting another fan to the motor, bigger and with more wings=more airflow, right?

-Maximum Boost

#33 king bee66

king bee66

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

i bet its raining volvo parts over there.

is the head in the picture the one you plan on using? the fact it has water ports is going to limit the size of your intakes. earlier a motors didnt have them. if you are going for a turbod engine it might be something you want to keep in mind

#34 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

i bet its raining volvo parts over there.

is the head in the picture the one you plan on using? the fact it has water ports is going to limit the size of your intakes. earlier a motors didnt have them. if you are going for a turbod engine it might be something you want to keep in mind

Haha, it's just because i have one 740 that is left over and i'm using brake system and rear axel from it.

Sorry didn't catch that. Are you thinking that 740 radiator has too big waterports or?

-Maximum Boost

#35 king bee66

king bee66

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

no. the cylinder head on the a15 motor you have has water ports along the manifold side. if i were planning sidedrafts w/ a turbo, id want to port some bigger intakes. you cant really port the head you have because youll run into the water ports.

#36 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

no. the cylinder head on the a15 motor you have has water ports along the manifold side. if i were planning sidedrafts w/ a turbo, id want to port some bigger intakes. you cant really port the head you have because youll run into the water ports.

Ah, i see. I have thought this, and ended up to keep it normal sized. And yes, they are pretty close, and there might be not enough room to have them bigger without breaking anything. We'll see whats going to happen, but it was a good point :)

-Maximum Boost

#37 king bee66

king bee66

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

the h72 castings are dime a dozen here in the states, and you could cut them as much as you like. if you dont mind shipping, i have a bare h72 that im willing to give you for the price of shipping. its just taking up space as it is.

#38 datsunfreak

datsunfreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,395 posts
  • Cars:'73 1200 Coupe, '77 280Z

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Both Tomei, and kameri make metal head gaskets for a15's. Neither are cheap... both have different thicknesses avail.

FWIW, Nismo also makes one, costs $75 last one I bought.

It's your car, just don't ruin it.

It's also not my money, so i'll suggest the most expensive option. 

#39 ggzilla

ggzilla

Road Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,058 posts
  • Cars:no cars

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

The metal gaskets are to increase compression. Is that what you want?

The copper gaskets are very thick, designed to lower compression for forced induction engines. About $100-$200 and can be reused.
Here today gone tomorrow

#40 Atomic

Atomic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

The metal gaskets are to increase compression. Is that what you want?

The copper gaskets are very thick, designed to lower compression for forced induction engines. About $100-$200 and can be reused.

Yeah, i thought it would be better for turbo engine. And with bigger pressures, it would add more stuff to chamber where it detonates.

And i know it's not cheap :/ but for now I'm going with original, since it can take that 160hp.

-Maximum Boost