l20b and z24i

DATSUN671

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An L head will fit on a Z24 block with difficulty, yes. It will better fit the Z22 block. Here's why. The L20B and the Z22 blocks are the same height and so the L20B timing cover can be fitted to the Z22 block with the L20B head. The Z24 block is 2cm or 3/4" taller so the L20B timing cover will be that much too short and the gap will need to be filled with something.

The L20B block can be bored from 85mm to 87mm to fit the Z22 pistons and it can also be bore to 89mm to fit the Z24 pistons but that's 2mm or material removed from the cylinder wall. There is a risk or boring through the wall. An option is to get a Z22 block which is already at 87mm and you will only have to bore it 1mm oversize to reach 89mm.

Note that in order to use Z22 or Z24 pistons you will need to use a Z22 crank and L20B rods.

the l series and z series share the same bell housing the only difference is which direction the bellhousing is clocked if your using a z22 block with an l series head you have to use the l series transmission and motor mounts to get the engine lean correct for the l head

Compression ratio is decided by the displacement of the cylinder, the volume of the combustion chamber and the volume of the dish in the piston top. Asking which piston with which L head is only 2/3 of the equation. You would have to specify what motor you are using the pistons in.

Z24, Z22, Z20E, L20B pistons.

motorpistonsL20BZ20EZ22SZ24007Large.jpg

Z22 block stock 8.4

...with L series open chamber head.... 9.84

... with closed chamber head.............. 10.48

Yes you can bore a Z22 block to take 89mm KA24E pistons,

..... with open chamber L head.... 9.829

correct me if im wrong...on a z22 block with z22 pistons and a l20b head is a compression ratio of 10:4

• 2 weeks later...

• All this discussion about pistons..........remember a smaller piston is lighter. A motor in general will rev/decel faster if you reduce reciprocatiing mass. Why not sleeve the bores SMALLER and run a domed piston w/ valve reliefs.....spend the time making the head "breathe" as good as it can . The cross flow design of the Z22/24 should be able to flow more air/fuel than the Lheads. My stock z22 w/156 K can stuff the speedo(needle on the "H" on mph) in my 82 720 just leaving 4th gear(removed the peg @ 85 on speedo) w/ 5th still 2 go.. All Ive done is put a weber on it...homemade adapter/BIG 14"x4" air cleaner & a big Peuget Diesel "french" all stainless muffler (40 lbs!). Why not put the z head on the L short block w/ a small turbo....on Propane? Propane is almost as good as gas & hell of a lot cheaper right now! Any body going "dry sump"?....windage eats power. hmmmmmm

if i am going to use the ka24e pistons on the z22 block...do i have to use z22 crank and L20b rods....

would the ka24e pistons clear the L20b head....

Yes. Yes. The KA-E pistons stop 1.55mm before the top of the block at their highest point. Plenty of clearance.