Re-barreling stock rims?

I've been playing with this idea for some time now, just looking for some input.

I thought it might be awesome to widen the stock steelies to a 14x7 or 14x8, and run wider tires. might look pretty badass and still fit well in the fender with the right spacers. I always though the stockers looked fantastic, but were too narrow to look good with everything else I have going on, especially on a really low truck.

Pics for reference.

6884899887_ba82fec119_b.jpg

Edit-1 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

6884900503_08465e2290_b.jpg

Edit-1-6 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

matt

a local had a five ten... he took the stock wheels into a shop and had them widened, they looked pretty badass... Tho it was done years ago, i think your main concern would be finding a shop that can/would do it.

I think the idea is pretty awesome. I ALWAYS loved the look of the stock wheels, but they were way too narrow for me to enjoy. I like aggressive cornering every once in a while, and you can't do it on narrow tires. Not to mention how light the truck feels on 185's in the rear. I could eat rubber like a madman though.

Matt, I used to work with a guy and he said his dad would take wheels to a place and have them cut, widen and weld them back together for a real good price, if you are serious, I'll start tracking him down.

Pierce, if you could find out, and get me a number I'd love to chat with the guy about it. I'd love to daily some wide ass stockers, and keep the 15x10's for meets/shows. Someone's already rubbed a bumper across mine once and left a nice big gash at work

If you were local I'd be able to do it. =/

but the cost of shipping back and forth makes it way too expensive.

The rebarreling process of steel is a lot easier than aluminum, I can do both

Radim

Are there options for upsizing like cutting out a 13 center and making it a 15 or making a 15 into 17 in steel or aluminum?

Radim, if I could source some local to you, would it make sense to do it that way, to cut shipping cost to ONE way only?

What's it cost in your experience to widen one wheel?

Radim

Are there options for upsizing like cutting out a 13 center and making it a 15 or making a 15 into 17 in steel or aluminum?

Also curious about that. An extra inch would be nice for finding tires.

DaBlist: Yeah, you can do either or but sourcing barrels like that is pretty difficult, You need to find stepped lips and typically they only go up in one size... 13-14 15-16 ect.... there are barrels out there where you can do 13-15s but most are NOS barrels.... which of course are pretty pricy.

MetalMonkey: Stepped barrels for steelies are a lot more common than Aluminum barrels, it's honestly up to you but just to give you an example on weight, my 15x11 wheels have steel barrels and aluminum centers, and those weight just over 50lbs without tires.

Shipping would be done in two separate boxes, each consisting of two wheels.... 15x8s would weigh around 20-25lbs.

Pricing depends on specs OEM vs Rebarrled.

If can also cut up junkyard wheels and scavange the barrels....

Way back in 1969 I took my 1965 Chevy2 Nova wagon to a tire shop and had the factory wheels reverse rimmed. This gave me the room to go to 700x13 tires without rubbing the tie rod boots, And they looked damned good! The new tires stuck out just far enough to look "custom" [i spray painted the interior surfaces that now showed with factory touchup paint and stenceled the correct psi rating for the tires on the widened rims] and when i traded it in [on a 1970 Buick Electra LTD with all options] I got mucho extra bucks on its trade in value. Reverse rimming the original factory wheel is a forgotten alternative to too expensive after market wheel sets. The slight add-on to the wheel center spacing can give surprising improvement to handling and steering! Try it.

It's easy to widen the wheels, Finding tires that fit now thats the hard part, finding anything that will fit a 14x8, look good, and be street legal is going to be tough, I know some places can keep the same center and make it a 15 or 16, Stockton comes to mind but 15's are a lot easier to get tires for.

There are some guys that make hot rod wheels that you can buy fairly cheap, probably cheaper than getting stockers widened. Then you just need to put some different clips on them, and you'll be able to put stock hubcaps on them. Or just run baby moons. Same look, old school steel with real tire

DaBlist: Yeah, you can do either or but sourcing barrels like that is pretty difficult, You need to find stepped lips and typically they only go up in one size... 13-14 15-16 ect.... there are barrels out there where you can do 13-15s but most are NOS barrels.... which of course are pretty pricy.

MetalMonkey: Stepped barrels for steelies are a lot more common than Aluminum barrels, it's honestly up to you but just to give you an example on weight, my 15x11 wheels have steel barrels and aluminum centers, and those weight just over 50lbs without tires.

Shipping would be done in two separate boxes, each consisting of two wheels.... 15x8s would weigh around 20-25lbs.

Pricing depends on specs OEM vs Rebarrled.

dude you rebarrel and youre in oc? ive just been patronizing vr wheels, but if your rates R cheaper i got a lot of business for u

If can also cut up junkyard wheels and scavange the barrels....

• 1 year later...

grave.jpg

Pics for reference.

6884899887_ba82fec119_b.jpg
Edit-1 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

6884900503_08465e2290_b.jpg
Edit-1-6 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

Oh how far this truck has come. Did you ever find a shop local that offers rebarreling service? Sadly my project uses aluminum barrels, so not as easy as steel. I either need to widen the ones I have, or I'll need new barrels, which will probably be more than what I paid for the wheels...