OldSkool's 521 Thread...the Mad Idiots Journal.

oldskoolvws

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Opened up. My order from Rock-Auto.

The Timken box is a wheel bearing for my Colorado. But I got two idler arms for the truck. They were clearing them out at like $15 each or something like that. Just so you know, they are TRW branded, but slightly different. Both made in Japan. One has coating on the arm, the other does not. One states made in Japan on the arm, the other does not. And then finally the shock. Anyone?

datsun005.jpg

datsun006.jpg

datsun007.jpg

Somebody asked me about this at Jimmy's open house GTG. The shock is actually a steering damper for the truck. I have an old one there now, but the replacement was cheap for the whole kit. Figured underneath will be all new, might as well replace this too. Yes, essentially the same a 4X4. The theory behind this is to reduce bumpsteer, tire guide and the sort. Makes overall driving experience better. One of them oldskool tricks right there...been doing it for years.

Also, the time has come. It has begun.

datsun003.jpg

Also, thoughts on this? I'm on the fence on replacing it with something else. Just not sure what. This does MP3 and iPod and all that, just not sure I like the look. Maybe black knobs?

P.S. That radio trim piece is a PITA to polish if you've ever thought about it.

datsun013.jpg

Nice radio.I have similar one.

One side cleaned up. Need to clean up the other then dissassembly begins.

img1197t.jpg

img1198ru.jpg

Got the Optima bottom mount installed. The engine bay is not yet done cause of the on-going minor cutting and welding like this. I think once I'm done fabbing in the bay, I'm just going to rustoleum rattle can it in a close color for durability and $$$. Also, the side mount cables are just about done too. Then the top cap of the Optima goes on.

img1193sr.jpg

And got the bearing and brakes changed on the Colorado today. EBC Yellows....hope I'm not sorry.

img1206tk.jpg

Oh and the excitement of my day. So after I pulled Tiki out to run for a while. After a little while, I thought I'd act a little happy and launch it into my garage. Vroom and in it went.

Walked outside and saw this....then a great big smile on my face! :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Am I correct in assuming that I have what I think might be a little more special than the run of the mill diff?

img1207ct.jpg

img1208a.jpg

So you have LSD great,can you send a picture of your steering stabilizer mounted.You know i asked this a while back under suspension and i got not flak but more of a why.I guess only people from Hawaii are smart.Because i dont care what you do there is going to be bump steer if your dropped and i would rather the truck go straight then all over the road.

So you have LSD great,can you send a picture of your steering stabilizer mounted.You know i asked this a while back under suspension and i got not flak but more of a why.I guess only people from Hawaii are smart.Because i dont care what you do there is going to be bump steer if your dropped and i would rather the truck go straight then all over the road.

No can see to good. To dark and too dirty. But bumming too. The one on the truck is stud to stud, they sent me hoop to hoop. I might just might make new brackets.

img1190am.jpg

Right now, not really. Pert ignition, mild cam. Got all the top end goodies though. Just got to wrench it on. Suspension first.

It was a challenge for sure, working it back to shape. But my guy matched the the paint off my original gas door. You've already seen this pic, but I had him hit the replacement locking gas door too. Perfect in the sunshine, from any angle, color match, single stage of course. Hit the top with just SEM.

livermorepleasanton2011.jpg

I know, I know for sale area. Anyone near me interested in these wheels before I put them out to the mass audience? Will come with everything seen wheels, tires, centers, lugs. Fully polished but need some love and I think they're Westerns. Tires are old.

549338_238948629543329_2139706639_n.jpg

Also, thoughts on this? I'm on the fence on replacing it with something else. Just not sure what. This does MP3 and iPod and all that, just not sure I like the look. Maybe black knobs?

P.S. That radio trim piece is a PITA to polish if you've ever thought about it.

datsun013.jpg

That is a nice radio it looks old school that is modren I dont see where aux plugin is

That is a bad clock let see a oics of it installed when you have time

are those rims still for sale!!

Radio is actually AUX and Ipod. The text lights up behind the white dash lines when it's on.

What clock?

I still have the rims. Your local, your truck is at Jimmy's. Just a hop, skip away, about two minutes from my house. Make me an offer I can't refuse and I might even get the old polish for a touch up. Help clear my house. I'll even bring to you at Jimmy's in TIKI.

Radio is actually AUX and Ipod. The text lights up behind the white dash lines when it's on.

What clock?

I still have the rims. Your local, your truck is at Jimmy's. Just a hop, skip away, about two minutes from my house. Make me an offer I can't refuse and I might even get the old polish for a touch up. Help clear my house. I'll even bring to you at Jimmy's in TIKI.

The clock on top of the Mac Book Pro!!

I just picked up a 1971 perris valley camper shell super clean I want to put it on a 521 that is what I would use the rims for those rims are nice if i put them on my truck the wild would an rims would be worth 3 times the truck!!

TiIKI is nice

• 4 weeks later...