OldSkool's 521 Thread...the Mad Idiots Journal.

oldskoolvws

Don't ask me, I don't know where the hell I picked that name from. But Mr. Big Tanker and about 5 gazzilion people keep asking / IM'ng me for pictures / build thread. I'm too busy for a build thread, but I have a few before and afters. I'll start digging them out and post a few here in no particular order.

Anyway, I've always been NOT a Datsun fan, but a 521 fan. The lines, the looks to me are timeless. I've owned four of these, and by far, the most time and cash is in this one. I've also had a few 510's, nothing special. I'm older now, so I can a afford a few of the better things in life, but the passion did start with this brown one although it leaked like hell, ran like shit, rode hard and eventually popped a valve seat up and I sold it.

1971 521 / L20B / 5-speed / Age 20ish / traded for my 1983 Toyota Corolla
s03p.jpg

Over the years, I sold and bought two more before Tiki. I have pics, but I have to find them. At one point I had too many Datsun parts and VW parts. I needed to make a decision on the type of cars I wanted in my garage to minimize the parts. I chose VW. Sold everything I had except for a timing gear, stainless roll-up window visors and a master cylinder. About 10 years later, the bug bit again. I was actually looking for a Norton Motorcycle and ran into this. This time though, it would be different. I wanted a 521, easy project. Yeah like that exists. So Tiki was initiated into the family. It (it's not a he or she) mixed well with the VW's at the house, but the parts are again an issue.

So, truck is a 1970 521 / L20B / 5-speed. I got lucky and many of the items were done by previous P.O.'s. I just needed to make it mine. Although to many the truck looks complete, to me, many things must still be accomplished. I'll try to document some of it as I go now.

Enough boring shit, here's a few teasers:

dsc00168cf.jpg

24196946677057999970717.jpg

img2011020700149.jpg

fronthiq.jpg

sidefv.jpg

side2rf.jpg

Genuine, circa 1990, Rays Engineering Power Volks, 15x8. Was going to keep blue, but nah. Need the center caps...Dawa won't sell me his.
rimsbefore.jpg

img2012041400269.jpg

These stupid bolts cost more than some people rims!
bolts.jpg

Dash before (as I bought it) (notice steering column already shortened?)
insidebefore2.jpg

Midway in my thought process.
insidebefore.jpg

Changed my mind. Bought this (and stole these pictures):
9a5e99cc.jpg

9b58957f.jpg

I like it now, but more to come:
dsc00011pc.jpg

Any and all comments are welcome. Just don't be a douche.

Oh, and my dog Kona (Shiba Inu) bwahahaha!
konai.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig the color. And the dash looks good. Any motor mods to the L20b?

Right now, not really. Pert ignition, mild cam. Got all the top end goodies though. Just got to wrench it on. Suspension first.

Good job!

The dash came out good...

It was a challenge for sure, working it back to shape. But my guy matched the the paint off my original gas door. You've already seen this pic, but I had him hit the replacement locking gas door too. Perfect in the sunshine, from any angle, color match, single stage of course. Hit the top with just SEM.

livermorepleasanton2011.jpg

• Like 1

I bought the wheels from a guy in AZ. He had them on his lifted Toy. The were beat to hell, all 5 of them. There is probably about 200 hours of work on them total to R/R bolts, disassemble, strip, flush the damage, sand it down, blend and hand polish and seal. I gotta say I love em' though. Light, pretty and best of all....oldskool! LOL.

• Like 1

Well Well Well,Look what we have here probably the nicest 521 i have ever seen and that aint no shit .This is the nicest example i have ever seen,I of all people am glad you finally put this up for the Datsun world to see.My truck dont stand no chance anymore thats for sure.I expect updates Waimanalo boy.Like the first truck at the rec park if my memory serves me.Thats one thing i have to say about a few select of people in hawaii is we got a different taste that just makes things look good.Good job buddy get more under the hod and inside shots.

And were did you get the clock from.That looks good.Do you know were i can get one or one for sale.

It's quite likely one of the rarest datsun parts on this planet, it showed up a while back(year or more?), I PMed an offer and never heard back, then a while later we all found out where it ended up.

• Like 1

Wayno you hold him and I'll take it.hahahahah

That is one of the most detailed photos I have seen of it so far, there might be others, but I have not seen them.

The only way that we will likely have one of them is to make them ourselves, but we would need closer detailed photos, and if I owned it, there would never be any. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was surprised when I seen that photo, have not heard much about it since it was sold.

• Like 1
It's quite likely one of the rarest datsun parts on this planet

Seriously? I thought rare, but not that rare. What other factory parts dictate unobtanium?

Wayno you hold him and I'll take it.hahahahah

A'ole', KAPU!!!!

That is one of the most detailed photos I have seen of it so far, there might be others, but I have not seen them.

The only way that we will likely have one of them is to make them ourselves, but we would need closer detailed photos, and if I owned it, there would never be any.

I was not going to put that out on the other thread but I decided to keep the mystery alive. I wonder how many hard drives that picture is on now.

Awesome. Something about that color I really like. Nice work. Careful or that clock will take over this whole thread. Best to just delete the pic and sell me the clock. :devil: J/k you and your truck deserve it. I just wish there was a few more out there.

Dude, you know you saved my ass a few times with hookups and connections for few things for this which brings me to my next thought.

Thanks to everyone here. I know, I know, you always hear this crap but having lived through it, I gotta tell you, people here help. I mean really help. There's hardly any of that eRacer crap on here. The advice, mockery, parts and price is top notch! (http://community.rat...to-pay-forward/) Although the NISMO sticker DID NOT add 5HP as advertised!

Thought I'd pull this out and scan it for you. It's a picture my friend Skip drew back when we about 21. We were drinking, feeling up girls and being young. Please ignore the "510" as back then designators were not as popular as they are now. In our ignorance, it was a 510 truck. But I had my brown one, he had a white one. He drew this up, I stole it. Back then, I thought it was an amazing picture. Today, I still do. This is the "Island Style" Mr. Big Tanker is referring too. Its funny to see the era splash, curled antennae, etc. I posted it on his Facebook about a year ago. It was funny.

I might wanna buy Dawa's rims if he still has them and see if I can emulated this wheel look with bigger barrels.

scannf.jpg

• Like 2