1981 Transmission Help!

Mehly20

I just purchased an 81 720 King Cab with a 5 speed manual. It was slipping out of 5th gear initially. I read a few things and checked the bolt holding the ball an spring on the passenger side behind the middle plate. I loosened it and re tightened the bolt. I went and checked it and it wouldn't even go into 5th or reverse. I took the bolt completely out and tried to draw the ball and spring out with a magnet but my magnet was to large of a diameter. I replaced the bolt and have the same problem. I am new to Datsuns and motors/trannys in general. I am learning a I go. Any ideas? What other transmission can be a straight bolt up with this year an model?

Thanks!!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will snap a few pictures when I get home. Is there a possibility something is out of line or the forks that hold it in gear are shot? Like I said, I'm far from knowledgable with this stuff and any help is greatly appreciated as I learn this truck as I go.

This?...

goon5speedswap017Large.jpg

It merely centers the gear lever when you let go of it in the neutral gate. Has nothing to do with the gears.

Loss of 5th is more likely to be the nut on the mainshaft backing off. Slowly the 5th gear is forced back towards the rear. Eventually just the pressure on the gears from driving will pop it out of gear. Eventually it won't even go into gear.

The large nut on the mainshaft to the right.5speedfor710goon023Large.jpg

Here is the picture. It is the bottom bolt I loosened and re tightened which caused it to lock me out of 5th and reverse. I then completely removed it and fluid ran out the hole. I put my magnet, which was too big for the hole, and nothing came out. I put it back in and still had the same problem.

http://m1281.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/mehly20/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3347_zpsa4387bc4.jpg.html

Here is the picture. It is the bottom bolt I loosened and re tightened which caused it to lock me out of 5th and reverse. I then completely removed it and fluid ran out the hole. I put my magnet, which was too big for the hole, and nothing came out. I put it back in and still had the same problem.

http://m1281.photobu...387bc4.jpg.html

IMG_3347_zpsa4387bc4.jpg

Oh.. that one. It helps hold in gear. It's called a detent ball and it rolls as the shift rod is moved forward and back. On the shift rod at the rev. and 5th position there is a small notch in the rod that the ball drops down into, pushed and held there by a stiff spring. You may have noticed a light click sound as you go into gear... this is what causes it. You should still be able to place it in gear though.

Man that is a small photo. Photobucket will let you upload the full size camera image.

I just grabbed and posted what he had ggzilla, I am sure given enough time I could have enlarged it, but it is very difficult for me to do, as I really don't understand computers, so I just grabbed what was there and posted it.

I tried posting this as a new topic but they locked it up. This is a completely different issue but they are making me post here.. When driving, and it gets worse the higher the RPMs, and I disengage the clutch by pressing in the clutch pedal I get a rattling and somewhat of a grinding noise. If I shift into neutral it stops but if I stay in gear or downshift and keep the clutch in it gets bad. I don't think it is related to the topic above but any ideas? Throw out bearing possibly?

Thanks!!!!

I tried posting this as a new topic but they locked it up. This is a completely different issue but they are making me post here.. When driving, and it gets worse the higher the RPMs, and I disengage the clutch by pressing in the clutch pedal I get a rattling and somewhat of a grinding noise. If I shift into neutral it stops but if I stay in gear or downshift and keep the clutch in it gets bad. I don't think it is related to the topic above but any ideas? Throw out bearing possibly?

Thanks!!!!

Your saying that if the clutch pedal is pushed in, and you shift into neutral the noise goes away, does it make noise while in neutral with the clutch out when not moving?