DatsuNoob's epic 620 build thread

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

So, the past couple weekends I was able to find a little time to play in the garage. Removed the old nasty fenders, started "decrustifying and derustifying" everything, stripped the core support (getting prepped to be sealed after cleaned up)I'm really trying to preserve the body, and do things right while I got it apart. Anyway, here's a mock-up of those fenders sorta before and after style

100_0517.jpg

100_0552.jpg

100_0553.jpg

I gotta say I really dig the lack of the side marker now. I'll get some more pictures up of where things are at currently, when I get out there again.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob
I like the "decrustifying" method :lol: I did alot of that too on my 620. Yours looks very straight from the get go. Will you now shave the rear side lights too? Oh & im loving the original mirrors:cool:

Thanks PCD. Yeah, the rear side markers almost HAVE TO come off now. I plan to weld up all the rest of the seams, fill some holes in the doors, and really iron things out. Debating whether or not to shave the handles, maybe just the locks, don't know. She's really not that bad when it comes to dents, but the few I do have are in some really tough spots on the bed. May just go buy a clean bed for $100 and save myself a headache, haven't decided yet.

Guest DatsuNoob

Found a little more time this weekend, and figured I'd better start smoothing things up towards the back end now to match the front.

100_0584.jpg

100_0596.jpg

Still got the rear side marker holes to fill, but after 3 beers and some quality time spent with the grinder the rest aint lookin' too shabby. I really plan on using only a tiny bit of filler afterwards(cant stand to see caked bondo over shitty body work), but I'll get some more pics up when I get it finished.

Guest DatsuNoob

Got most of the grinding finished today, and got the bed sides down to bare metal. Sanding isn't so easy now though, my air compressor took a shit and broke the fan. I'll finish puilling some dents in the corners this weekend. I'm exicted to see things take shape. I also made a stop at Wesco today and picked up some UPOL flyweight filler.. I didn't want to use shitty bondo, but has anyone heard of this stuff before? I guess it's supposed to be pretty good though.

Guest DatsuNoob

Nah, just using a 4" grinding wheel and being extremely careful about staying on the weld. Are you talking about those flap sanders? I dont think I've ever seen a flap grinder before.

Guest DatsuNoob

I didn't have too much of a problem with warping. I noticed it created a very small "valley" at the seam from the heat of the welder. I guess you could call it warping, but it's very minimal and will easily fill in with a small amount of filler. It was either that or just have a high azz bead that didn't have any penetration to fuse the 2 pieces properly. I even stitched it up with tack welds prior to welding it, but what can a guy really do, shit's thin. My biggest problem was pulling dents on the outside corners of the bed without tearing it. I think these body panels are only 22 ga. Anyway, I went and bought some sheet metal yesterday and plan to fill the rear side markers very soon. I'll get some more pictures up, everyone likes pictures :D

I didn't have too much of a problem with warping. I noticed it created a very small "valley" at the seam from the heat of the welder. I guess you could call it warping, but it's very minimal and will easily fill in with a small amount of filler. It was either that or just have a high azz bead that didn't have any penetration to fuse the 2 pieces properly. I even stitched it up with tack welds prior to welding it, but what can a guy really do, shit's thin. My biggest problem was pulling dents on the outside corners of the bed without tearing it. I think these body panels are only 22 ga. Anyway, I went and bought some sheet metal yesterday and plan to fill the rear side markers very soon. I'll get some more pictures up, everyone likes pictures :D

Most of the times when they talking about warping the rest of the panel near the weld will get wavy from the heating and cooling, etc. so from the sounds if it you did it right. will be looking forward to pictures

Guest DatsuNoob

Okay, so I lied... didn't get to the rear side markers yet, but I got it pretty much ready to go. Had an A.D.D. moment I guess. Just doing what I can leisurely anyway, but I started working a little on the cab.

100_0612.jpg

With a little lovin' with a high speed sander and some 50 grit. Almost ready for filler as soon as I strip the rest of the paint and blend the weld out a little more.The pic doesn't really do it much justice here, that line you're seeing is actually the right side edge of the weld and the other one is the line that runs vertical with the rear window. Like I said, it'll take a little more smoothing out, but it's actually very close.

100_0630.jpg

I did the other side like that today before heading out to work, and worked a little at smoothing out a few of the other beads. I just got in from stripping all the paint from the cab tonight. I had no idea how many hours it was going to take to get everything done, this is alot of work!:eek: But I'm having a good time.

Guest DatsuNoob
Man that is lookin good. I also did the same thing on my roof..i dont want any seams to show;) On the bed seams warping may not be as big a problem because there is that "gap" that the tacks fill in but as i said the fenders are kinda thin.

Didn't you also cut the back rain gutter off, or just the ones on the doors? I was thinking about removing the rear one, but if I did that, I think it would look funny with the ones over the doors. I remember you said it was kind of a pain, huh? Kinda on the fence about whether or not to do it.

• 1 month later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Got my new pass rocker panel today, so I got out in the garage an started removing the old one. I got it off after about an 1 1/2 hr of leisurely stripping paint to expose all spot welds, drilling out spot welds, hacking, cursing, etc. I'll put up some pics soon for those curious about rocker panel replacement. It was actually not too bad.