1969 510 project "updates"

jeph

hello, im new to these forums, im a honda/acura guy but have always loved 510's and the fact that my father has had about 20 of them while i was growing up probably helped, well my dad recently gave me a 510 that was in my parents back yard for years and it needs help!

its a 1969 with clean title and all glass is good and needs body work badly! its currently a shell, but i have a 1600 longblock and some su carbs layin around and want to throw something together.

i plan on working on drivetrain first and getting it to run and drive, then bodywork which it needs badly, it is also missing the drivers floor pan (rust) and i need to locate a new pan or a used one someone cut out? it is very hard to find 510 parts here in WA, but i may be just looking in the wrong places (craigslist) lol.

here is a pic of it as it sits and ill post more tomarrow.

2012-10-19175856.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site.

You better post pictures immediately before you get kicked out after one post. Joking.... but seriously... pictures :poke:

You really are looking in the wrong spot for parts. Theres a bunch of us in the area, so finding almost anything you need should be easy. I was curoius how Ive never seen your car driving around since Im always in Tacoma, but then you mentioned its a shell. If you ever need help, post here or some of us locals can roll by.

Edit: looks like you edited in one measly picture. I guess its better than nothing.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site.

You better post pictures immediately before you get kicked out after one post. Joking.... but seriously... pictures :poke:

You really are looking in the wrong spot for parts. Theres a bunch of us in the area, so finding almost anything you need should be easy. I was curoius how Ive never seen your car driving around since Im always in Tacoma, but then you mentioned its a shell. If you ever need help, post here or some of us locals can roll by.

Edit: looks like you edited in one measly picture. I guess its better than nothing.

yeah i used to have a lowerd 620 pickup i drove around tacoma primerd grey but just sold it couple months ago, ill post lots more pics tomarrow, yeah after looking on here there is alot of people in WA, few things i been trying to find lately is a tranny and floor pan which havent been easy lol.

Auto/4spd/5spd? You have a few options... you can also use KA 5spds if you swap bellhousing fronts. If you dont need any of the bends and such for the floor, just weld in some sheet metal. Otherwise there are a few places that make floors for them. Ebay has some sometimes, there a guy on the 510 Realm that makes them I believe, and there a member here (Wead) over in AU that makes them as well.

Auto/4spd/5spd? You have a few options... you can also use KA 5spds if you swap bellhousing fronts. If you dont need any of the bends and such for the floor, just weld in some sheet metal. Otherwise there are a few places that make floors for them. Ebay has some sometimes, there a guy on the 510 Realm that makes them I believe, and there a member here (Wead) over in AU that makes them as well.

its a stick so id like 4 or 5spd and as far as the floor pan goes i have some sheet metal cut out for it just needs welded in but after searching around looks like a floor pan is going to be pretty expensive so might just use the sheet metal for while. might hit couple junkyards in the next few days and see if i can find a truck or something to take a tranny out of, they work also right? just need to shorten the driveline?

Yeah look for 620 trucks or 280zx's for 5speeds. You will need to shorten the driveline, unless you find a dogleg 5speed but they are getting rare and zx 5speeds are stronger and way more common. Or find someone giving away a 4speed. :)

yeah i found someone selling a 4spd on craigslist and i text them and they just took it to the scrapper :/ but thanks for the info hopefully i find one, also my 1600 has a brand new clutch on it and it came out of a pickup a 69 521, do they all have same spline count or is each tranny different.

yeah i found someone selling a 4spd on craigslist and i text them and they just took it to the scrapper :/ but thanks for the info hopefully i find one, also my 1600 has a brand new clutch on it and it came out of a pickup a 69 521, do they all have same spline count or is each tranny different.

That was me. That 4 speed was a long tail that you would have had to shorten the driveline to fit. You'll be happier with a 5 speed anyway. ;) all spline counts are the same for L motors.

That was me. That 4 speed was a long tail that you would have had to shorten the driveline to fit. You'll be happier with a 5 speed anyway. ;) all spline counts are the same for L motors.

oh haha cool, yeah 5spd would be better, and cool thanks for the info on the spline count's.

also the other day i drove few hours to buy some koing rewinds for the 510 i got there and seen they were big 4 lug (i was in a honda 4x100) and the lug pattern on the rewinds was bigger so i was like cool, picked them up for 250$ and their near mint so was a good deal, i got home to put them on and they dont fit... i was like wtf? so i tried them on my civic and dont fit either?? when i hold them up to the 510 it looks like if i drilled the holes a tiny bit bigger they would fit do they make another lug pattern besides 4x100 and 4x114.3?

he said they were off a rx7?

Depending on the model RX7 it could be either 5x114.3 or 4x114.3 or 4x110...

okay so its not 5x114.3 and not 4x114.3 so thats it their 4x110 that sucks, has anyone drilled out a 4x110 rim to 4x113 without problems? they have hubcentric rings so i think the wheel would still be center if they arent drilled perfectly, i was thinking of using a dremel and making the holed oval shape?

okay so today i took some boxes out of the trunk my dad gave me and this what i found!

some su's? gunna use this set on my L16 after a serious rebuild

sucarbs.jpg

Anyone know what these carbs are for they dont look like they would bolt to a L series engine?

carbs.jpg

and a few manuals and a weekly news letter he used to always have me read lol

manuals.jpg

Those are roadster SUs on an R-series intake.

oh alright well he said they were in a 210 or something he had years and years ago, since their a spare set i might sell them and get some extra money for my 510.

know what they are worth and would i have a hard time selling them?

That definitely looks like a roadster manifold, plus I dont think 210s ever came with SUs.

I have no idea on price... you could probably sell them though. Plenty of roadster people still around.

alright cool, was gunna snap more pics today but its pissing rain outside im gunna clean my garage tomarrow and just push the car inside lol because we all know in WA all its gunna do is rain untill may lol