just drove 10 hours for my first 510!!! let the madness begin!

macgyver

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys. Yeah We got hit pretty hard out here last week, lost power for a couple of days, but everything is starting to get back to normal. I'm out on Long island, 90% of us lost power!!! I'm sure you saw the pics all over the news. anyway, my family is safe and doing well so that's all that matters right now.

as far as my new car, I pulled the bumpers and gettting them ready for a nice satin black since they were painted silver that is showing some rust. I also waiting on my coil overs to get here,. They were suppose to be here last week but that didn't happen with Sandy so I'm playing the waiting game to get my new 280zx struts on. As of now I can't drive the car since the pass side caliper seized up on me on my first road test 2 days after I got her home :( I had the new struts/calipers/ on the way so I just figured I'd be up and running within a week or so, but it's been 3 now!!!! good news is that the 280 struts calipers new rotors and pads came today and are sitting in my garage, now im just waiting for the ground control coil overs!!! I bit frustrating, mother nature can be a bitch!

I've also been researching and obtaining all the parts for my future sr swap that I'm hopefully going to pull off over the winter. So far what I have is the engine,tranny, ecu, suspension/brake upgrades, just trying to figure out the rear diff and axles. I found a 280zx parts car that has the diff in it but don't know if it's a r180 or R160 and/or what gears are in it. need to do some more research on what people are useing.

I still need to set up a piic host too....

• 2 months later...

So I finally can say my "new" 510 is road worthy come spring time. I had a few issues I needed to take care of after a good look over and a couple test drives. First was the seized pass side caliper after my second cruise :/   While I was waiting on parts, I then found bad u-joints and other little things.....I'd  figure I'd update you guys with the progress and cleaning up I"ve been doing despite the crappy weather we've been having since I brought her home.

I upraded the brakes to 280zx with new rotors/pads/bearings/lines, master cylinder 15/16th and 1200 rear wheel cylinders to have a decent pedal.(brakes are awesome now:) Thanks David for the info since I'm still learning the in and outs of this car.

I have a set of wheels coming from cali (I brought some off of a fellow member here) can't wait till I Bolt them on. 15X8 et12and 15X7's et12. Also did ground control coilovers on all four corners.  I'm waiting to set my ride height till after my wheels come in then I'm off for an alinement. Then I replaced the bad u-joints on my pass side 1/2 shaft which was an easy fix. Now she drives pretty straight, no thumps while shifting and has great stopping power. I'm gathering all the parts for my swap come this fall so stay tuned for a build thread.

also picked up this refinished bumper and found a 1 mint rear tail light bezal, the other is pretty good. i'll post more pics after the wheels are on......

image-16_zps4a195459.jpg

Glad you didn't sell her, was nervous when I saw the ad. Def looking forward to seeing this car in the Spring.

Yeah, to be honest, the other 1/2 really doenst care for it, she loved my classic mini and wanted me to do another but I love the 510. So since I'll be driving this pretty much Han solo, in the end she doesn't mind. I'll do another mini after this mission is completed.

Are you in NY? Looking for an old school/jdm and/or Nissan/Datsun club. I think I've seen pics of your car in a zclub forum?? Looks real nice!

Hey David, still waiting for the wheels, I'm really in no rush but I'm dying to see them on the car.

As for the bumper, good news, I'm hoping that it's in good shape since I just got a "like new" re chomed rear. I actually got a price to re dip my front and it wasn't that bad. I'll give you a call and we'll figure something out.

Really looking forward to this spring and getting out there to meet some good people. (Datsun people) Can't get here fast enough.

I also brought the first major piece for my swap so I'll surprise everyone after I document and get it together.

• 1 month later...

So here's some updates since I brought her home...6 months ago...

New front suspension...280zx struts/pads/bearings/coilovers/ rca's

15/16th master cylinder

New wheel cylinders

Tail light lenses

Nos door handles

Windshield

15x8 (0) wanabe replicas

Cleaned up my front grill.

New rechromed rear bumper

Nos rear tail light bezels

Polished my license plate lights.

Drivers side floor pan

Epoxy interior/dynomat as well..

New front bumper getting refinished. Be ready in 2 weeks...

That's about it got now...

Next is undercoating, figure out what color I'm going to paint her(might hold off but have a great deal:) )

Already stocking up on my SR parts for this fall's swap...

More pics to come...

C039B31D-2C7D-4C1D-8DC5-8E86D06F99AE-673

EVILC, please send me sone club info!!

looks so sweet and sinister all dark in color. Glad to know it is on the right coast!

Thanks, but that dark sinister look might be going away soon ;) might miss it a little but there's just too much purple metallic in it...I hate to say I wish it was more brown or even better straight black!!!