What 510 rust repair panels would you guys like to see fabricated

wead

hey wead, pics will sell your products, especially here on ratsun, cuz everyone's a pic whore! Just post the pics directly into each of your posts. Takes a li'l getting used to, but here's how.........

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE from AUTOMOTIVE PANEL CRAFT

Datsun 510 repair section dogleg protoype Just a little more shaping and adjustments to go before the end product is ready for me to add some pics of the final product. Hopefully this weekend.

Let us know how many of you are interested.Doing a run of these will keep prices down.

Wead

Wead, is that a 510 dogleg? I would think that it can it be used on the 2dr and the 4dr.....?? That will be a nice piece! :thumbup:

Hopefully we can rely on you guys to help us out there, AUTOMOTIVE PANEL CRAFTS dogleg is shape from a 4door so we're not sure if it will fit a 2 door, it looks like it might, so it's over to guys for some help.

I would think that the general contour of that forward section of the wheel arch would be the same for the 2dr vs the 4dr, but the decision to offer the 2dr vs the 4dr piece is the question. The 4 dr would immediately "roll" into what is the rear door jamb vs the flat sheetmetal of the 2dr sill (rocker panel). From a restoration point of view, is it best to offer the "rolled" lip of the 4dr, and have the 2dr guys just work it flat, OR do you offer a part that is flat for the 2dr, and the 4dr guys simply trim it down & roll the sheetmetal to suit the 4dr jamb?? Here in the States, I think we tend to spend the money on the 2dr cars, but the 4dr cars are close behind the demand. In Japan, they tend to prefer the 4dr over the 2dr...........what is the market like in Australia??

If you offer it as a 4dr, does your 2dr patch panel for the rear section of the sill (rocker panel, just ahead of the rear wheel) butt right up to the dogleg that you are offering? If so, offer the 4dr dogleg, and the 2dr guys would simply trim & weld the two panels together.

I would think that the general contour of that forward section of the wheel arch would be the same for the 2dr vs the 4dr, but the decision to offer the 2dr vs the 4dr piece is the question. The 4 dr would immediately "roll" into what is the rear door jamb vs the flat sheetmetal of the 2dr sill (rocker panel). From a restoration point of view, is it best to offer the "rolled" lip of the 4dr, and have the 2dr guys just work it flat, OR do you offer a part that is flat for the 2dr, and the 4dr guys simply trim it down & roll the sheetmetal to suit the 4dr jamb?? Here in the States, I think we tend to spend the money on the 2dr cars, but the 4dr cars are close behind the demand. In Japan, they tend to prefer the 4dr over the 2dr...........what is the market like in Australia??

If you offer it as a 4dr, does your 2dr patch panel for the rear section of the sill (rocker panel, just ahead of the rear wheel) butt right up to the dogleg that you are offering? If so, offer the 4dr dogleg, and the 2dr guys would simply trim & weld the two panels together.

Here are the pictures of the 4dr dogleg on the car , this will more than likely fit the 2 door as well, however we will be making a full dogleg for the 2 door that goes from the door jam to the wheel arch( we just need to get hold of a 2 door in sydney that we can copy from).

by making the 2 seperate parts we will not be asking the 4 door owners to pay extra shipping for metal and weight that they don't need..

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

I WANT!

What is pricing looking at for these?

AUTOMOTIVE PANEL CRAFT UPDATE Datsun 510 4door doglegs will be $99ea plus shipping or $180 a set. If a forum member wants to organize a group buy

we could work on a reduced price for both dogleg and shipping. Keep and eye out in the for sale section as pics of the finish product will be posted tonight.They look great.

Wead

I still think you guys could make a killing on making and selling 521 floor boards.

Apart from the floor boards is there any other area that needs replacement panels made?

Our goal is to have as many datsun panels across the range as possible. We are currently increasing our 510 range once completed we will be moving on to the next datsun.

So what would you guys like that to be?

After floor boards, the rust is a random thing. But the floor board were the most common rust area.

The 521 came from the factory with vinyl floor mats. Dirt would get under the mat, and then water would get under it also. The vinyl would not let the water evaporate, and the dirt ground the paint off the floor boards, and so the floor would just rust, until they rusted out.