What 510 rust repair panels would you guys like to see fabricated

wead

We have been custom making 510 panels for a little while here in oz. Any suggestions on what other panels you would like to see us make available. Some of our custom made panels are in the for sale section under 510 rust repair section.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been an interesting thread........... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/45385-reproduction-510-sheet-metal/

• front upper fender rail outer box sections (see braveops pic). These are apparently different for the Sedan vs Wagon (Wagon might be "double walled"??). I can't imagine that the Aussies have problems with these, cuz they are a much drier region, but we sure do in the midwest, the upper northwest & much of Canada!
  • rocker/sill panels with the correct front section (see braveops pic), AND the correct rear section, as it is indented to tuck behind the rear 1/4 outer skin, in front of the rear wheels.
  • INNER panels, for the lower rear 1/4 patches behind the rear wheels, that are already out on the market. This panel is the one that drops vertically, off the outer ends of the trunk pan.
  • correct floor pans, with the proper "stampings"

• Like 1

I know there's already another company attempting to do this....but I would think tail light panels would be the biggest need, and then the front valance panel (between the front marker lights). Those two are always bent, and the hardest to find replacements for. Fenders aren't too bad, and rear quarters are fixable, but the tail and valance panels are the hardest to find. I'd take one of each if they were available.

Full fenders would be cool... I know guys that would kill for a fresh pair of 68/69 fenders.

TristinGrind - At the moment we have the lower front fender available in both left and right. Our name is Automotive Panel Craft.

Here is a link to the left guard, check out our other items that are listed while you're there. Hopefully more will be added soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com....me=STRK:MESE:IT

this area would be great .how bout some flares?DSC00201.jpg

braveops- The inner skirt supports can be made but due to the time and craftsmanship involved they would be quite expensive. What would you guys be willing to pay in reason? In the next few weeks we're looking at making a prototype of the inner skirt for the 510. If you are interested, we already make these for the Datsun 1200, check them out and our other listings at our eBay store: http://k2b-bulk.ebay...CActive&guest=1

As for the flares, we can make the welded on flares but not the bolted on ones.

I know there's already another company attempting to do this....but I would think tail light panels would be the biggest need, and then the front valance panel (between the front marker lights). Those two are always bent, and the hardest to find replacements for. Fenders aren't too bad, and rear quarters are fixable, but the tail and valance panels are the hardest to find. I'd take one of each if they were available.

yellowdatsun - We already make the tail light panels in a full piece ( http://cgi.ebay.com....me=STRK:MESE:IT ) but what would you guys think if we just made a left and right section around the tail light without a middle part? This would save on postage costs and it would possibly be cheaper to make. I will place a link below for you to gain an idea of what I mean by this. At this stage the front Valance cannot be made, although we do make the back valance (we call it a beaver over here - goes under the tail light panel). When you go to our eBay store, check out our lower rear quarters and lower front fenders.

Tail light panel sections (left & right) - https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117240564744078765444/albums/5798978157254739697/5798978156050860674

Why can a front valence not be made?

Why can a front valence not be made?

They can be made, but due to the time and craftsmanship involved they would be a top quality item, one would have to be prepared to pay the price, which could be $700 or more. They can be made on request at Automotve Panel Craft (eBay store) or through this thread.

Looks like your rear tail lamp panel might be considered a "custom", because it's smooth, without a license plate recess. Nice piece regardless!

Your rear "beaver" (definately not what we know as "beaver"! :w00t: ), what we would call a rear valence, would potentially sell here. Too bad the FRONT valence is such a complicated panel to make, cuz we really need them here in the States!

Yes, the 510 upper "skirt", same part as your 1200 application! That panel rotted out as seen in braveops pic, will often send an otherwise usable 510 to the scrap yard! I would not have guessed that you get that kind of rust/rot in Australia. Are those typically coastal cars, that spent their lives near the salt water? I'm really surprised that you offer the roof drip rails, as I haven't ever seen those damaged by rust/rot, even here in the midwest snow belt......better known as the "rust belt"!

You guys also show a lower forward "skirt repair" for the 1200 application..........that same panel for the 510 would be great. I just patched that area up my last 510 project.

I like the rear floor & seat pan sections! I did not see FRONT floor pans listed........do you make them?

With the continued mentioning of the 510 in magazines (an article in Grassroots Motorsport Dec 2012 is due out next month), and the continued use in video games, means that the demand for the 510 is going to continue to increase, which in turn means that the market demand for rust repair panels will increase, as more cars will be restored. I think for an Aussie company to sell here in the States, they will ultimately need to find a distributor that stocks these panels here.

Just a suggestion, if you do end up marketing here in the States, determining our terminology/part name for a particular part will be a key factor in getting the product known here! For example, your "beaver" is our "valence". Of course, we ran into that same marketing issue with the British parts many years ago, when that market grew here......bonnet = hood, boot = trunk, wing = fender etc etc.

On eBay (or a website), what a great help it is, when you add a pic of your repair/patch panels in the position that they should be, like the rear floor & seat pan panels. Well done! :thumbup:

I wouldn't bother making a left and right tail panel. If someone is going to go through the work to replace it, they might as well do the whole thing. Making a weld down the center would probably be very ugly.

While I appreciate you making the tail panels, and I am aware of what goes into making the molds for such a piece, $400 is a bit steep for 90% of the Datsun public. I don't know what your wiggle room is, but you'd probably sell twice as many if you dropped the price 25%. Especially when freight to the US is going to add at least another $100 to the price. Regardless, I will save the contact info.

I am currently in the market for a front valance for one of my cars. But if price was on par for the tail panel, I'd have to get a cheaper fiberglass one.