SD22 620?

Siempreloco

My little 73 620 runs well, the engine is a fairly fresh rebuild , still the l16 with a weber and 4 speed. There's a guy local that has some sd22's and a 5 speed laying around, do you guys think itd be worth building one of them and swapping the engines? so i'd have the sd22 and 5 speed? How difficult of a swap would it be? Would i need a new driveshaft, rearend, motor mounts etc etc etc? The more information you can gve the better, i'm pretty interested in the idea.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

an sd22 with 5 speed should bolt in..

does it come with trans? was it from a 720?

youll need to find some 3.36 or 3.54 gears for the rearend when using the diesel.

you can use the stock gas tank, and flush it. get a diesel rated electric fuel pump for your transfer pump, and put it in line.

im not familiar with the nissan glow plug activation system, but on the luv we did, it had a special solid state box that timed how long they got 5.5v.

youll need to hook that up properly. best to get the system from a 720 that had a diesel.

the driveline should just work. the diesel sd22 used a B type box that should be just like an L or Z series.

get wayno in here.. hes the guru..

The 720 SD motors used 3.889 diffs. Lower will work if not hauling loads. The 5 speed will fit if you shorten or use the front driveshaft from a '74 and up 620. Motor mounts won't work you'll need to move them on the frame. Get the 720 wiring harness for the diesel it will be easier to modify than trying to use a 620 and modify it.

The diesel frame mounts are differant than the L series/Z series frame mounts, the diesel engine frame mounts are a couple inches forward and at a slightly differant angle, but I have seen guys use a plate connected to the existing frame mount to move it forward, and it looked fine to me.

I think that connecting the engine/transmission together and then mounting the combo in position using the tranny mount to position the setup, and then making the engine mounts is the easy part.

I have a SD25 that once ran veggie oil, it still ran when I took it out of the truck, but I had overheated it and it wouldn't quit smoking till it warmed up, the general public doesn't like engines that smoke, you get all sorts of looks and comments, so I retired it till I get the time to rebuild it.

I thought that engine didn't have the power it should have had, my SD25 in the 521 kingcab has way more power, so I am thinking that the injection pump had issues, what caused the issues I couldn't tell you.

If I did this conversion, I would do it properly, I would want the engine to shut off when I turned the key off, and I would want the glow plug light to click off when it was time to start the engine, so that would mean that you would need a 720 diesel wiring harness and all the components that came on that harness, that would mean that you would have to remove the harness out of the 720 and install the wiring harness in your 620 complete, without cutting it.

Cahoon520 has successfully made a stand alone diesel harness for his SD22 conversion, that would be another way to go, and he is willing to help, but that type of thing is over my head.

My 521KC project has a lot of modifications to allow me to use the 720 diesel harness complete, it has a 720 tilt steering column complete in it, that allowed me to just plug the wiring harness into it and have it work, I figured out how to use a 521 wiper motor with the 720 harness so it has all the modes the 720 had, and I also figured out the 521 instrument cluster for the most part, Charlie69 also figured out the instrument cluster a differant way and successfully got more things to work(the dash lights) properly.

The SD22 is a simple diesel engine, but for some reason they sent it to the US with a complicated engine control setup, the aussie version is WAY SIMPLER.