gloves while wrenching?

Based on some of the reasons people use to not wear gloves I thought we were talking about condoms.

I use to never wear gloves, real men get dirty and scared. Then realized that is ignorant. Like somebody else said, wife doesn't like dirty hands in her no no spot. Plus just easier since the sink is up stairs I don't have to worry about getting two doors and a stairway dirty with my nasty hands. And the wife doesn't freak out as much if she doesn't see blood on my hands.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear gloves when around solvents, paints, epoxies, and dirty oily things. I have kind of figured out how not to bash knuckles, mst of the time. Just got back from Sherwood P-n-P, and pulled a fender, some headlight buckets, and a decent front turn signal off a 521, and did not use gloves, but I was on the outside of the car. Had I been working on engine parts, I probably would have used the gloves in my pocket.

I used to have a job, using a pressure assist belt grinder to grind a casting gate down on some parts in a production basis. ther was a fixture that held the part, close to the belt, with a small gap between the solidly mounted fixture, and the abrasive belt. I did not wear gloves working this machine. My foreman wanted me to wear gloves, citing safety reasons. I showed him what happens when the leather glove touches the belt, the belt grabs the soft leather, and pulls the glove into the tight space between the belt, and fixture. I demonstrated that to him. I told him if my finger touches the glove, I feel the pain, and pull my finger back. If my finger or hand gets close to the belt, I feel the wind coming off the belt, and that serves as a warning I am getting my hand too close. He agreed with me, do not wear the gloves when operating this machine.

To be honest, I do not like giving up the dexterity you have without gloves. I have had to hold a nut on a bolt to start it with my second finger, and turn the nut with my first and third finger. Hard to do with any gloves on.

With the thin nytrile gloves can still feel things quite well. I don't have any problems with feeling or gripping.

Dat gatherer, I wear those gloves out the yard because who knows who owned those cars last. Nothin like reaching up under a dash board with rat shit, poiseness spiders, scorpions and who knows what else is lurking in the abyss of a previously tweeker owned datsun.