gloves while wrenching?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, chances are if you are reading this, you will have cancer.

Look at the trees around you. They probably have cancer.

A lot of my family has, or has died from, cancer.

Places you may have a better chance of not getting cancer-

Canada

Russia

South America

Antarctica

Eat from healthy soil, breathe good air, and stop smoking.

I should use gloves for health and safety reasons...but there's just something about grease coated hands or busted knuckles that i like i guess. I grew up turning wrenches with my grandpa and we both still bust knuckles, get covered in grease, curse like sailors and don't wear gloves. My brain says wear gloves my heart says fuck em.

• Like 2

dude i worked fast food lol i know that you have to be good and clean dawn dish soap takes EVERYTHING off

I think youd be hard pressed to find people who enjoy the loss of feeling, mobility etc... while at the same time sweating like mad. Wearing gloves it a bitch but I think each person just weights that vs what it prevents. Mech for a living scrubbing your shit so many times a day get old real fast. Even doing it once but having to go over it 5 times to get everything off just sucks. Some people smoke their whole lives and dont get sick, some people never wear gloves and nothing happens, thats great for them but its scientific fact that carcinogens cause cancer. So for clean up ease, saving knuckles when tqing, knocking one of many cancer causes off the list etc... it seems smarter to wear them.

Im with you, I hate wearing gloves but the scales for me pitch to sucking it up and wearing them lol. The older I get the more the scales tip too. Kind of like condoms actually....

The Diamond Grips are good for jobs where you need to "feel" what you're doing. Thicksters are the toughest I've found. I've been wearing gloves for about 15 years and it feels weird NOT to wear them now. All the cancer/health reasons aside, it's just nice to not have the super cracked and calloused hands. I wrench for a living and you'd never know it by looking at my hands.

Nitrile gloves just always rip and then you get that one finger that gets really dirty.. or your whole palm, then you just have loose rubber flapping around everywhere which is annoying as fuck.

Mexhanix gloves get hot as fuck in the summer, but im thankful for them in the winter when your hands are numb.

Funny you mention this, there's a company out there (forgot their name but I'll figure out) that makes BLACK Nitrile gloves that are just about indestructible. Although they are about 25% more then the blue nitrile, they're worth their weight in gold. Never torn on doing brakes, clutches, etc.

EDIT: NVM, looks like someone's been here about them already.

those are the one I use , they last , they are hard to cut and aren't weakened by paint thinner / brake cleaner

1-26-11BlueBoxGloveLogo-2.jpg

I just buy the 7 mil thick Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves from HF. I have yet to tear one, friend tore the gloves, but he needed the next size up...

I can live with nitriles, I can not stand any other glove, If anything, I use bike riding gloves just so I have super thin gloves on.

am i the only one against gloves? i cant stand them my hands sweat alot i have no feeling and forget trying to use my fingers as eyes

i find all this health stuff funny my dad has been wrenching without gloves for 35+ years been smoking like a chimney the entire time according to the doctors his only health issue is his lungs arent happy due to the smoking

Yeah im with you ...here`s the gloves that DatsNoobs gave me when he came over a year ago to get a harness for his truck..

no joke..

FAT510006-2.jpg

I made the choice to wear gloves at work a long time ago when I realized that my hands were not coming clean unless I scrubbed the crap out of them at the end of the day. It took a while to get used to them, but it is totally worth it. There are very few things I cant do with them on at this point. I was just giving one of my co workers shit today about his hands (he does'nt like wearing gloves). Good thing work supplies them for us. I go through alot in a day.

Nytrile all the way for me. I use them at work doing anything from cleaning bathrooms to irrigations repairs to spraying pesticides. I use them at home as liners under my atlas glove cutting firewood, cutting scrap with torch, or wrenching. Keep my hands clean and blood and busted knuckles contained. Keeps grease and grime out of cuts well too. Hardly ever go in the shop and not slip a pair of gloves on.

Some more reasons gloves are cool:

1. I've noticed that they don't transfer grease from your hands to other things like steering wheels and door handles as much as a dirty bare hand.

2. They're really handy for for containing leaks. Stretch one over the tailhousing while you're pulling a transmission. Stuff one into a lower coolant pipe or radiator while doing engine work. Good for keeping stuff out or a carb while in long term storage.

3. As tdaaj said earlier, they keep the blood in and the dirt out when you have a wound.