gloves while wrenching?

I have considered trying some Nitrile Gloves or similar for the dirty jobs on my datsuns. Not just to keep my hands clean but for health reasons.

My father was old school and used solvents of every kind with his bare hands. After years of exposure he developed kidney cancer.

The doctor told him that many solvents can absorb directly through your skin.

I am curious if any one here uses gloves and if you do, what is the better choice? So far they get hot and annoying but i do not want to find the same fate my father did.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a box of rubber surgical gloves from the local pharmacy, they work good. I use dawn dish soap to clean my hands or regular soap/shower. Some people use mechanix gloves which you can find at any parts store.

My ex-father in law developed the same kind of kidney-cancer, but he used gas to clean his hands.... Id suggest not doing that. They also make organic cleansers, like orange with pumus-stone you can get...

I have been buying 6 MIL industrial Nitriles for the husband and myself for the garage. We don't use them all the time, but generally anytime we're do much that will be super greasy or when using solvents, like you mentioned.

Some of the solvents still eat through them after a little bit, but they're far better than the regular thinner ones.

I order them through a work account, but these are the ones we've been using and have had pretty good success with them not tearing at the slightest snag.

http://www.uline.com/BL_973/Industrial-Nitrile-Gloves

Yeah, they make the hands sweat a bit, but it's well worth it to not have shit soaking through your skin that will be harmful down the road.

Nitrile gloves just always rip and then you get that one finger that gets really dirty.. or your whole palm, then you just have loose rubber flapping around everywhere which is annoying as fuck.

Mexhanix gloves get hot as fuck in the summer, but im thankful for them in the winter when your hands are numb.

• Like 1

Nitrile gloves for the win.

I will not touch anything at work without my gloves.

Latex suck.

Ever read a condom package?

No oil-based lubricants.

Wait. Mechanics work with oil while using latex gloves.

Latex exposed to oil creates a toxic chemical reaction that is worse than wearing nothing.

Wear nitrile.

Put up with the occasional tear.

Change them every 1/2 hour or when a hole develops.

Nitrile gloves for the win.

I will not touch anything at work without my gloves.

Latex suck.

Ever read a condom package?

No oil-based lubricants.

Wait. Mechanics work with oil while using latex gloves.

Latex exposed to oil creates a toxic chemical reaction that is worse than wearing nothing.

Wear nitrile.

Put up with the occasional tear.

Change them every 1/2 hour or when a hole develops.

+1

Ya I buy the cheap black nitriles and just blow through them. Which is what it is. Then mechanics gloves over when I really need to torque something because knuckle busters suck.

I miss being able to get boxes of really expensive black nitriles where I used to work. They lasted a really long time in the field, at home they lasted forever. So expensive through mcmaster (like everything else), I would never pay that much for gloves.

• Like 1

Nitrile gloves for greasy messes and $5 harbor freight blue mechanic gloves for pretty much everything else. That includes gardening, yardwork, camping and 4wheeling. Keeps them clean and scar free for the most part.

I abused my hands enough in my youth, they don't need any more scars. :lol:

I gotta go with those suggesting using them for safety. Most of my fathers generation in my family were wrench turners and all used solvents and gasoline without protection. 3/4 of them died of cancer, but most of them were smokers their whole life. None of them ever wore gloves unless it was cold out.

My favorite by far is Diamond Grip. They are textured for slip resistance and are heavy duty while not too thick to keep some tactile feeling in your fingers. They dont standup to gas and solvents - for that I use some other nitrile ones. I prefer the feeling of latex gloves by far since the nitrile ones dont stretch very well to conform to my hand tightly.

MF-300.jpg

• Like 1

^

When the shop I worked at switched to nitriles only from latex everyone was pissed.

We all had the same complaint as you. We were using the same brand.

After I was using the nitriles for about a week, I would not give them up.

Even using latex for a quick job weirds me out.

They're way too thin. And the dangers of latex do not outweigh the positives.

I read an interesting latex allergy article a while back.

It said 80% of all people are allergic to it.

What happens is that it never creates a reaction starting off-

but those allergic to it will suffer reactions with prolonged use, having the reactions start off very mild escalting to severe cases of shock.

am i the only one against gloves? i cant stand them my hands sweat alot i have no feeling and forget trying to use my fingers as eyes

i find all this health stuff funny my dad has been wrenching without gloves for 35+ years been smoking like a chimney the entire time according to the doctors his only health issue is his lungs arent happy due to the smoking

• Like 1